Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DAT tape conversion  (Read 2897 times)

Offline parkerjh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
DAT tape conversion
« on: November 09, 2009, 12:41:54 PM »
I have a slew of old tapes I am looking to convert to digital.
I figured out the cassette > WAV conversion with Audacity.

Now, I am looking to convert my DATs to either WAV or directly to FLAC.

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to do that?
Thanks.

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DAT tape conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 02:26:53 PM »
Not sure what kind of gear you are using, but as long as your DAT machine has a spdif output, and your computer has a digital sound card with spdif input, you are all set. Clone away!!

You can use the search function in the computer section of this forum, and find volumes of work flows and tips to archive DATs as both wave and flac files.

Good luck!
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline parkerjh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
thanks for reply...

I have Tascam DA30(?) and Panasonic 3700 decks. They are, obviously, 15 or so years old so I am really not sure what type of outputs that have. 

Is there an easy way to know if your computer's sound card is digitally capable?

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »
There aren't many PCs that come with a digital input on their soundcard by default - you'd be looking for a S/PDIF coax or optical input on the card. The most recent iMacs have optical in, I think back to 2007. Before that, no digi-in on any iMacs. The other option would be to pick up an external USB device, run digi into that and then over USB into your computer. I used the predecessor to ESI's U24 XL for all my DAT transfers, and it treated me great. It's tiny, very portable, would work with either your desktop or laptop, and has both optical AND coax inputs. Runs about $95 on Amazon. Check it out: http://www.esi-audio.com/products/u24xl/
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline parkerjh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 04:48:54 PM »
Check it out: http://www.esi-audio.com/products/u24xl/

Thanks! I think that is exactly what I want/need. On my way to hunt one down.....

Offline greenone

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
Oh, and two more things - the U2A, which came before it, was demonstrated to be bit-perfect, and you can also set it to resample on the fly from 48kHz to 44.1kHz if you don't want to do that on your machine. So I'm guessing the U24XL can do both of these as well. Happy converting!
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 12:05:49 AM »
FWIW - I had a U2A back in 2001 and had problems with it dropping frames (i.e. it would loose digital audio making the track shorter than it actually was).

I returned it and got the PCI version instead and had no problems. Waveterminal 2496 (replaced by http://www.esi-audio.com/products/maya44/)

Now I use computer DDS drives and DAT2Wav for my xfers.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:11:49 AM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

tree

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 12:48:24 AM »
thanks for the information, I need to do the same thing and wasnt sure how to go about doing it.

Offline SparkE!

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 12:15:18 PM »
I've found that the digital input to a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 will allow bit literal transfers via optical S/PDIF.  I, too, have a Tascam DA30.  It has coax S/PDIF outputs which I run through a S/PDIF coax to S/PDIF optical converter box (HOSA ODL-176) and into the NJB3. The first few bits of the recording are never the same, but once the DA30 syncs up to the tape, everything is bit literal.
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »
As mentioned above you could use a JB3 or Microtrack or other flash/harddisk recorder with digi in and these cost about the same as a decent sound card.
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline greenone

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 12:25:19 PM »
Good point. I actually run to my Microtrack right now...the MTII is about $150 now and you can get a 4GB CF card for under $15...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com