Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recommendations for transfereing MDs with ? new gear with no resampling?  (Read 13894 times)

Offline Darren

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I am a taper from the 1998 through 2005 era, have a lot of shows and want to get back into the hobby.  Most of the early ones are on Mini Disc and most of those have not been properly backed up.  I want to start dong that right now.

My playback gear is a Sony MDS-JB940 mini disc stereo component deck with both coax and optical outputs.  This was the best $ could buy a few years back.

What portable recorder would you recommend to transfer these MDs to, that has either coax or optical digital connections and WILL NOT resample the digital signal and will not add glitches?

My big concern is with resampling.  Yea, it is MD but I want to do this right before the media begins to go bad.

I'd like to also use the recorder for stealth taping again and am looking for something in the $300 range, 24 bit and transparent preamp.

Don't want to use a soundcard to make the transfers due to problems with them in the past.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 07:01:51 PM by stu »

Offline Darren

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Recommendations for transfereing MDs with ? new gear with no resampling?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
Been googling around all afternoon. Gear sure has taken a giant leap forward in the past 5 years!

Perhaps a new soundcard will be the solution?

Do the M-Audio soundcards still transfer digital bit for bit, no resampling?

Offline Flashmd

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
Hi Stu,

I can can only recommend, from good personal experience, the Sony PCM-D50 with it's Optical I/O feature. I have transfered nearly 200+ Minidiscs, in SP Mode Only, without a single hitch. I will tell you though, due to my own ignorance at the beginning, the D50 was not picking up MD Track Marks. After a brief call to Sony Tech Support, all that needed setting up on the D50 was the Sync Feature, smooth sailing ever since.

Now you may think I'm nuts... but sometimes I like to transfer the otherway from D50 to Minidisc for kicks. If you ever should feel the urge... remember to use the Time Machine (6sec buffer). If you don't, the very beginning of a MD Track may not be recorded on your MDS-JB940, due to data stream not activating immediately the Optical Record. The buffer makes up for it!.

Anyway... I know this does not meet your $300 range, but may well be worth it, since Sony advertises their Optical feature as put there to satisfy both DAT and MD lovers, alike. Maybe Ebay?

Best of luck on your choice.

Gordon

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:17:38 PM »
I'd like to also use the recorder for stealth taping again and am looking for something in the $300 range, 24 bit and transparent preamp.

Gordon hit the nail on the head, except the PCM-D50 is a tad on the chunky side. That's my only concern about the stealth objectives you have in mind, but as far as I'm aware there is nothing smaller with optical input and 24bit currently selling, so it's hard to recommend anything else. Sound-wise, you will be thrilled.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:55:34 PM »
Or, before they disappear, you could get the MZ-RH1 or MZ-M200 (same unit, MZ-M200 bundled with a mic) and save many hours of realtime transfer. The MZ-RH1 will directly upload your old minidisc files (SP, LP2, LP4) to Sony's SonicStage, where they can then be converted to .wav.

Jeez, prices have gone up--you're pretty much stuck buying the MZ-M200 at the few places it can be found.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JUXL1G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GAPP8G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TEN7MFVQT30C21S18G4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446847-REG/Sony_MZ_M200_MZ_M200_Hi_MD_Recorder.html

And you can use it for stealth recording in .wav, though I think it's only 20-bit . About 90 minutes per 1GB Hi-MD disc of .wav, 8 hours of  Hi-SP, about 30 minutes per 80-minute MD in .wav.

Offline Darren

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 10:38:19 PM »
Or, before they disappear, you could get the MZ-RH1 or MZ-M200 (same unit, MZ-M200 bundled with a mic) and save many hours of realtime transfer. The MZ-RH1 will directly upload your old minidisc files (SP, LP2, LP4) to Sony's SonicStage, where they can then be converted to .wav.

Jeez, prices have gone up--you're pretty much stuck buying the MZ-M200 at the few places it can be found.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JUXL1G/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000GAPP8G&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1TEN7MFVQT30C21S18G4

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446847-REG/Sony_MZ_M200_MZ_M200_Hi_MD_Recorder.html

And you can use it for stealth recording in .wav, though I think it's only 20-bit . About 90 minutes per 1GB Hi-MD disc of .wav, 8 hours of  Hi-SP, about 30 minutes per 80-minute MD in .wav.

Thanks but will that conversion resample the original file or is it "lossless" .

I don't mind real time conversion of my MD recordings as I make WAVs.  Be cool to hear them again plus in this economy I have lots of time on my hands.

Are any of the m-audio soundcards still bit correct in transfering digital audio?  I may go that route if the inside EMI of my PC can't mess with the sound. (IIRC, sound only gets messed with when recording analog signal.)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:46:47 PM by stu »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 11:15:42 PM »
The only other thing I can think of on a budget is the Microtrack 2 (coax in). People here use them as bitbuckets behind V3 (among others).  They can be had for around $150-175 or so, just learn how to use them (they are very particular about how you start them and that sort of stuff).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Darren

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »
The only other thing I can think of on a budget is the Microtrack 2 (coax in). People here use them as bitbuckets behind V3 (among others).  They can be had for around $150-175 or so, just learn how to use them (they are very particular about how you start them and that sort of stuff).

I see I can get a M-Audio Delta soundcard in the same price range.

Can I create bit perfect 16 WAVs with those 24 bit cards?  No resampling?

runonce

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 11:49:23 PM »
Basically any recorders with a digital input - JB3, Iriver 120, Microtrack...all can be had for cheap. Re-sampling not an issue.

I like using a seperate device as you dont have to tie up your computer during the transfer.

Offline Darren

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 11:53:44 PM »
Basically any recorders with a digital input - JB3, Iriver 120, Microtrack...all can be had for cheap. Re-sampling not an issue.

I like using a seperate device as you dont have to tie up your computer during the transfer.

Strangely, I have a JB3 but cannot transfer files from it to the PC!  I'm running Windows XP.  Others have the same problem, also.

It also produces split second "hiccups" when recording optical to optical.  Makes the singer sound like she was snorting here and there.(!!!)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:00:12 AM by stu »

runonce

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:34 AM »

Strangely, I have a JB3 but cannot transfer files from it to the PC!  I'm running Windows XP.  Others have the same problem, also.

Not sure what the issues are there - seems to be a proven device on XP - most glitches/problems are known and solved.

Although I think since fewer people run the JB3, its harder to come across help.

If you have one - get it running!

Offline Darren

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 12:21:12 AM »
Although I think since fewer people run the JB3, its harder to come across help.

If you have one - get it running!

If you say it is indeed bit correct I will give it a try.

Are there any sites with definitive info on how to get the software to work with XP?  I will be reformatting my hdd within a week with a fresh XP install and will definately give it a shot.

I've got 2 or three shows from my last taping gig in 2005 still stuck in that dang thing!!!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 12:22:46 AM by stu »

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 02:00:25 AM »
If you say it is indeed bit correct I will give it a try.

Someone tested this a while ago and it is ok on 16 bits, but truncates if fed a 24bit signal.

(the comment comes to mind about "we had ua5>jb3 tapes which we thought were great and nobody cared enough to figure it out, knowing about the truncation now isn't going to change that")

There are a bunch of threads from the golden years about the jb3 and tests.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 07:07:03 PM »

It also produces split second "hiccups" when recording optical to optical.  Makes the singer sound like she was snorting here and there.(!!!)

The glitches are most likely due to a faulty optical cable. Had the same issues, changed cable, and they're gone.
PC transfers with JB3 can be a bitch. Usually, flushing all drivers and reinstalling might help. Otherwise, there is third-party software that works better (Notmad Explorer and more, use the search function here).

Regarding legacy MD transfers, the jury is still out whether RH1 data or real-time digi is the way to go.
The canonical thread where this was discussed:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,89560.0.html
Previous conclusions:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=106908.msg1443327#msg1443327
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,97042.msg1292667.html#msg1292667
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

runonce

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 02:17:05 AM »
A recent thread suggest the Notmad site has gone robotic...
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=129036.0

My favorite transfer product is dbPowerAmp's Sveta Portable Audio.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/sveta-portable-audio.htm

looks like you can still get a 30 day free trial - 30 bucks there after, supports a lot of other portables as well.

Agree on checking the optical cable...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com