Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tape Hiss Help?  (Read 8457 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Tape Hiss Help?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 02:34:39 PM »
Okay,

There is no option for me to run optical in on my iRiver... are we sure I can do this?

If I can't what else can I do about this?  My levels are entirely too low. 

I am working on a sample, if any of you would like to take a whack at it and let me know what you did, I would be forever grateful.  Both of the other tapers there last night had rig issues, so I might be the only complete tape.

Samples coming, I will post the original (no gain at all) and the one that I added gain.

Thanks so much again.

Almost certain the 120 has toslink I/O Edit; on re-read, I see you dont mention what model of iriver you are using...that would be helpful info

Pretty sure you just need a toslink cable with a mini-1/8 shaped jeck on one end (the UA5 end is square)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:36:49 PM by runonce »

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 02:41:55 PM »
Samples:

Clip (no gain)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RS1IQI1B

Clip (w/ 30db of gain)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QH3TNN03

Thanks again, everyone.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 02:45:04 PM »
Sorry, I'm running the h320.

runonce

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 03:00:58 PM »

Ok - forget the advice about the optical cable...no dig in on the 320.

When you had you levels on the UA5 cranked...were you getting the peak lights to come on at all...?

You sort of want to get the UA5 levels set a certain way - regardless of what you connect to it...you surely dont want to use it to drive the gain stage on a downstream device...

Are you certain your batteries on the UA5 were up to snuff for the new mics? Starting to wonder about power at this point...

Using digital out, the UA5  (when getting low on power) will just conk out on the optical jack....but running analog might result in a slow decay in sound...and a high noise floor as your phantom faded to nothing...(and no peak lights)

Offline anonymous_user

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
I think DAW software has improved -a TINY bit- since the 90s... :-X

No, not necessarily. Late 90's, and most software that's out now has already been around for at least 3 years or more. What I said still applies to the same tools found in Audition 3.0 etc and similar software. They haven't changed much in 5, 7, 10 years, especially with something basic like that. If they could change it that easily then I think it wouldn't have been that way in the first place. You can use minimal settings to try to reduce it, but the slight side effects are still there. And if you catch it, then it becomes obvious and hard to avoid hearing it. I'm sure it can be useful in some situations for some people, however I'm just speaking from personal experience and also from what I've picked up from others over the years.

runonce

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
I think DAW software has improved -a TINY bit- since the 90s... :-X

No, not necessarily. Late 90's, and most software that's out now has already been around for at least 3 years or more. What I said still applies to the same tools found in Audition 3.0 etc and similar software. They haven't changed much in 5, 7, 10 years, especially with something basic like that. If they could change it that easily then I think it wouldn't have been that way in the first place. You can use minimal settings to try to reduce it, but the slight side effects are still there. And if you catch it, then it becomes obvious and hard to avoid hearing it. I'm sure it can be useful in some situations for some people, however I'm just speaking from personal experience and also from what I've picked up from others over the years.

Im familiar with the effect you mentioned earlier...And the Audacity tool will also sound "tinkley" if used too aggressively. Use the "least" setting and work from there.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »

Ok - forget the advice about the optical cable...no dig in on the 320.

When you had you levels on the UA5 cranked...were you getting the peak lights to come on at all...?

You sort of want to get the UA5 levels set a certain way - regardless of what you connect to it...you surely dont want to use it to drive the gain stage on a downstream device...

Are you certain your batteries on the UA5 were up to snuff for the new mics? Starting to wonder about power at this point...

Using digital out, the UA5  (when getting low on power) will just conk out on the optical jack....but running analog might result in a slow decay in sound...and a high noise floor as your phantom faded to nothing...(and no peak lights)

I am running the wally batteries for the UA5 and using the 48V phantom power button.  Is that wrong?  My buddy also had a problem with low levels, too and he ran C4's>UA5>iRiver.  I honestly think it might the iRiver, because I have never had any problems running the c4's with the UA5.  His tape, there were low levels, but he put gain on them and it seemed to be okay.  I'll double check. 

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:37 PM »
I was just playing around with a guitar and the mics, and I turned a bunch of gain on the recorder (I had 0 gain on the recorder last night, because I thought that is what I wanted) and turned the UA5 down.  I am going to see if the hiss still exists....

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 03:24:34 PM »
Yes,

Still a bunch of hiss.  So this is what I think, I have ruled out the UA5, right?  I turned the levels down, and added gain on the recorder, still a bunch of hiss.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 03:40:21 PM »
What exact knob settings are you running on the ua5?

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »

I only mess with the Sens ones.   The output know was way down, but I don't think that.. would make a difference, right?  That's for headphones, isn't it? Sample rate is 44.8. Rec source is pressed in (digital). Lo-z.
Sens knobs are at ~3/4

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2010, 04:04:06 PM »

I only mess with the Sens ones.   The output know was way down, but I don't think that.. would make a difference, right?  That's for headphones, isn't it? Sample rate is 44.8. Rec source is pressed in (digital). Lo-z.
Sens knobs are at ~3/4

The output was too low, but you didn't think turning the output knob up would help?

1. read the owner's manual for your gear.
2. understand the proper operation of your gear.
3. verify correct operation of all devices by testing at home.

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 04:16:57 PM »

Sens knobs are at ~3/4

The output was too low, but you didn't think turning the output knob up would help?

OMG, Kanye!

Thanks for the help.  Sorry you had to make me look like a dumbass.  In all fairness though, I didn't get a user manual =)  And have never had problems with my UA5.

Now, anyone willing to take a wack at the hissing?  Or have any idea of what I can do? =(

kirk97132

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 04:24:17 PM »

Sens knobs are at ~3/4

X2

Come on did you even try to find the manual to read it?
Search function is your friend and try reading the stickies like this one:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=14389.0

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:12:17 PM by kirkd »

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 04:33:05 PM »
Do you have an iriver h120?  If so, the line in doubles as an optical in jack.  That would be the way to go.
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
05/04 Harry Mack (?)
05/10 Adam Bodine Quartet
06/07 Bill Frisell Trio
06/08 Common
06/19 Sensational Barnes Brothers
06/20 Adam Bodine Quintet
07/19 Chali 2na & Cut Chemist
07/30 Tomorrows Bad Seeds

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com