Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Transfer from DAT to a new mac?  (Read 8031 times)

Offline ChrisBert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Transfer from DAT to a new mac?
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:05:24 PM »
I have a number of DAT's that I'd like to rescue from oblivion.  They were made with a Casio DA-R100 (which I still have - it's the only DAT machine I own).  Can I transfer these to a new mac via, say, a USB (or any other way)?  Can I do it without getting a whole new machine?  And if I need a new machine, can anyone recommend one reasonably priced?  I just need to do the transfers, I don't need to record or have any D/A or A/D converters. 

Thank you kindly. 

A newbie,
Chris

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Transfer from DAT to a new mac?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
does your mac have a optical input?  if it's new it prolly does..

if so..  i think your DAT deck has optical in and out sooo.....  all you need is software to do a real time transfer of the data..

http://www.hairersoft.com/AmadeusDownload.html
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
In all liklihood you are going to need some sort of device that can receive the digital feed from your DAT deck and in turn feed it to your Mac via Firewire.  If I remember the DA-R100 correctly, it is basically identical to the Denon DTR-80P and has a coax in/out via an 1/8" stereo mini jack (or actually in the case of at least the Denon deck, it was actually a 1/8" TRRS jack - I can't remember what the third set of connectors was for?).  If I'm not mistaken, the optical jack on these decks was only an input and did not have optical output.  So you need a device that can receive a coax input and in turn send it to your Mac via Firewire.  Lots of options to do this - the first question would be how many tapes are you talking about?  If the # is low, you may just want to get someone to do it for you instead of buying a device if this is your only need.  Otherwise, I can't readily offer any inexpensive options to get this done that won't resample the recording or go D>A>D in the process.  I have a Motu Traveller that can get this done (and a whole lot more), but even used they're going to run you probably $300-$400 and are total overkill if you don't want to use it for multi-track recording and the other features for which it is intended.  Alternatively, any of the HD recorders that have a digital input (i.e. the Sony M50, Marantz PMD661, Tascam DR-680 and there are some others) can all do this (you would transfer the recording to the CF or SD card and then transfer to your Mac via this card), but this is also overkill to buy if you don't also want it as a recording device.  Perhaps others can suggest some inexpensive gizmo to do this?
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline ChrisBert

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
Thank you.  Eric, the mac does have an optical input (which I didn't know - it really is brand new to me) - they have it combined with the 'audio line in'.  Unfortunately, dgale is right, the optical port on the Casio DA-R100 is an input only port.  So going to the mac would require making use of the Casio's digital coaxial in/out port.  As dgale points out, doing this on the cheap may be not possible now.  I'll keep my eyes open for a solution.  I was going to get some other equipment soon - maybe I can find something to cover this base, too - so at worst it will have to wait a bit. 

Thank you both,
Chris

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:33:22 PM »
I'm not very up to speed on optical connections but I imagine there is some sort of gizmo that can readily convert coax<>optical (?)  I also don't know anything about the optical in on your Mac - I have a MacBook Pro and it does not have such an input.   You would still need some sort of software to accept the digital input - I'm guessing folks can advise on some freeware that might do this.  Of course, if you're also in the market for a portable recorder then you may wish to consider one of the HD recorders that has digital in - they cost a bit more then say the Edirol R09HR or the Sony M10 but I personally view digital in/out as an essential feature on any recorder of mine and hence worth the extra $$.

Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 02:10:03 AM »
Digital format converters (S/PDIF coax > optical):  Hosa ODL-276(16-bit) or -276A(up to 24-bit).  Shouldn't run you more than ~$50 new.

Software:  Check the sticky at the top of the Computer-Related forum.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 03:12:22 AM »
Get the Hosa unit Brian mentioned and run your DAT through that into your MAC via the Optical SPDIF input...

Or get an external device, like the MT2496 and do transfers to that.  Remove the Mem Card and transfer to the MAC like any data file.  I do this way, but with different gear (DAT>Tascam HD-P2>CFCard>PC).

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 04:58:57 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136610.0

Though the price of the above is rather expensive for what you need, the RMD3K is another alternative in format conversion. It can take both optical and coax signals, though not simultaneously, and output both formats simultaneously so it is actually a converter/pass-through unit. This is a fine unit and suspect it is only because of price that it doesn't get mentioned nearly as often as the Hosa units.

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 09:08:26 PM »
Get the Hosa unit Brian mentioned and run your DAT through that into your MAC via the Optical SPDIF input...

Or get an external device, like the MT2496 and do transfers to that.  Remove the Mem Card and transfer to the MAC like any data file.  I do this way, but with different gear (DAT>Tascam HD-P2>CFCard>PC).

Terry

This is exactly what I do with my MT24/96. Only caution is to not leave it plugged in (i.e. constantly charging) when you're not transferring as it'll kill the battery life. But it's a cheaper solution than buying a dedicated piece of equipment just for transferring.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:49:08 PM »
I'm not very up to speed on optical connections but I imagine there is some sort of gizmo that can readily convert coax<>optical (?)  I also don't know anything about the optical in on your Mac - I have a MacBook Pro and it does not have such an input.   You would still need some sort of software to accept the digital input [snip]

sitting on a bus right now, staring at a phone, so I'll look this up later, but the coax > optical unit I was looking into wasabout $150.

Also, dg, if you have a MacBook pro, then the 1/8" audio in Jack does indeed double as an optical in!

Jb
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 03:55:48 PM »
if it's good music i'll transfer for free, and send you dvds

Offline dgale

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
Also, dg, if you have a MacBook pro, then the 1/8" audio in Jack does indeed double as an optical in!

I learn something every day...what type of optical connector plugs into an 1/8" mini jack? 

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:55 AM »
Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-THIN-TOSLINK-MINIPLUG-THINTOSMIN6/dp/B00016W6Y6

Of course, you'd need a DAT deck with optical out, which the DA-R100 doesn't have.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »
Yup, that TOSMINIPLUG is what fits into the mac.
I think you can buy them as a piece that fits right onto the end of standard optical cable pretty cheap.
I may even have one sitting around somewhere...

Here is the thing I mentioned earlier. $22.
That should get you from your existing DAT to your mac. I haven't tried this unit, but signs point to yes:

Digital Coaxial (RCA) to Digital SPDIF Optical Toslink Audio Converter

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1128
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:29:12 PM by jb63 »
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 07:09:30 PM »
FWIW - I use a Ratoc Firewire SCSI adapter, an external Sony SDT9000 DDS drive, and use DATXtract under OSX 10.6 - it works very good.

I still prefer DAT2Wav under WinXP though as it attempts to correct errors on the tape and corrects minor ones pretty well in the Sony drives.  DATXtract skips errors on the tape.

I definitely prefer this method over using a DAT deck as:
 - It transfers 2x the speed
 - It provides an error output with A-Time, P-Time, etc and makes it easy to locate in the WAV/AIFF file
 - Does not put hours on my DAT decks

I still do one off xfers on my DAT decks but only when I hit a tape with alot of errors (only my PCM-7040 seems to do better then the SDT-9000 though).

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 09:19:29 PM »
I have a radio shack Digital Signal Converter that should work for this. PM sent. PM me back if interested.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 12:18:24 AM »
I have a radio shack Digital Signal Converter that should work for this. PM sent. PM me back if interested.

I've read somewhere (here maybe) that the RatShack SPDIF>Optical is NOT bit perfect???  I know the one I had would drop-out every once in a while...  But it was for my TV so I didn't care...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 12:22:30 AM »
Digital format converters (S/PDIF coax > optical):  Hosa ODL-276(16-bit) or -276A(up to 24-bit).  Shouldn't run you more than ~$50 new.

Software:  Check the sticky at the top of the Computer-Related forum.

If you're going the DFC route, try and get the Hosa.  The 312 is known to be Bit Perfect, and it is assumed the 276 is as well...  I had one and it performed extremely well - much better than the cheapy Rat Shack or the M-Audio CO2.  Both of those gave me drop-outs.

Terry

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 09:51:42 PM »
I haven't ever used this Radio Shack box before. But I just did a bit test with it and it passed.

I'm no big fan of the RS brand, but I had a hard time believing that a relatively simple device like this wouldn't be bit perfect.

Here's the method I used. Perhaps it will be of use to others later:

I generated 10 seconds of rectangular waves in Samplitude. 40 hz waves at about -3dbfs. I set the output device to SPDIF and set the software to loop the playback. I left a small portion of silence between each 10 second segment on playback. This was so I could align the samples later.

Recording chain was RME Multiface SPDIF out -> coaxial cable -> radio shack digital signal converter --> toslink output -> PDAudio SPDIF input
Captured using Live2496 with 16-bit resolution at 44.1kHz with the software set for toslink input.

I recorded about 30 minutes of audio then opened the file in Samplitude. Chopped the object in half using the "T" keyboard shortcut. Then moved the second half of the recording onto an adjacent track.  I zoomed in and shifted the bottom object to align the samples so that there was a 10 second segment of sound and then a short gap that repeated for about 15 minutes duration. After the objects were in position I trimmed the leading and trailing edges off of the objects so that both objects were identical in size.

I locked the objects in that position on the timeline. Then I checked the "invert" checkbox for both left and right channels of one object. This inverts that channel upon playback or mixdown. Then I bounced (mixed) the resulting objects. The resulting file was null with no artifacts.

Terry, I don't know how to explain your experience with it. Their must be some other factor involved.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:53:37 PM by live2496 »

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 01:41:56 AM »

Terry, I don't know how to explain your experience with it. Their must be some other factor involved.

I bet Rat Shack has changed their models/supplier or something...  I'm glad yours works for you, I had no such luck...  Cest la vie...

Here's a Hosa 276 in the YS for $25:  http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136660.0;topicseen

Terry

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »
Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-THIN-TOSLINK-MINIPLUG-THINTOSMIN6/dp/B00016W6Y6

Of course, you'd need a DAT deck with optical out, which the DA-R100 doesn't have.

I have a standard macbook, not a macbook pro, and a 7 pin optical from my sony dats (D7, D8) that term in mini plug.  Can I go direct into my 1/8" audio in jack like a macbook pro, and record onto Audacity or some other audio software?

Currently I go dat>7pin>jb3, then jb3>usb>macbook via file transfer.  So I still have to do it all in real time plus transfer time.  If I could go direct in that'd be great.  Assuming this would work, would I lose anything in the re-recording into Audacity (any more than I could possibly lose re-recording to the jb3)?
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline live2496

• Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
I am not a macbook user, but I will try to help. Someone please jump in if any of this is incorrect.

I think it depends upon the date of manufacture. Here are some details that might help. And they have serial numbers which help identify your system.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1562

If your computer has SPDIF in, then you should be able to record from the digital input with Audacity. When recording from the digital input there will be no loss of quality. You should get a bit exact copy.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 10:32:53 AM »
I am not a macbook user, but I will try to help. Someone please jump in if any of this is incorrect.

I think it depends upon the date of manufacture. Here are some details that might help. And they have serial numbers which help identify your system.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1562

If your computer has SPDIF in, then you should be able to record from the digital input with Audacity. When recording from the digital input there will be no loss of quality. You should get a bit exact copy.

Awesome.  Thanks!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com