Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the best deck that allows you LOCK the gain control (i.e., not an M10)  (Read 9781 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Ah, so it turns out that M10 volume knob was a little easier to move than I'd hoped.  Love the deck, but as it's already almost solely my  >:D deck, I may need to go with something more idiot proof. 

What's the latest and greatest?  I'd rather not go back to the R-09HR because of the screen's flimsiness.  I'd like something with a solid quality mic input as I'd be running mostly mics>bb>deck.  Again, it has to have the capability to engage "HOLD" and have that prevent the levels from being adjusted (like the -09HR).
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
The older Marantz PDM-620 would be a good choice if you record mostly loud stuff (it gets a bit noisy if you need to add a lot of gain). A bit pricey though.

I got one only because somebody put one up on E-Bay for $150 (plus $15 cash back) but I like it a lot for mic in. For most mics you don't even need a battery box with this recorder. Plug in power is 4.7 volts, which seems to be enough to operate even DPA 4060's and CA-14's (even though both are supposed to need a bit more voltage).

Still, though I know you've thought of it, why not just put a little gaffers tape over the M10's record wheel?

My record wheel isn't going to move on me, so for for me it's an advantage that it doesn't lock with the rest of the buttons.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
You might look at the Tascam line.  I'm using a DR2d, mosty because it will do 4 channels and is pocketable, but their stereo only machines probably work the same way.  Tascam makes so many small recorders now I've lost track on the others.  The DR2d has input gain controled by side mounted up/down buttons like the R-09/HR and locks all onboard functions with the hold switch.  One nice feature is that it comes with a very small IR remote, which is not locked-out by the hold switch.  I've found I can start, stop and pause recording by pointing the remote at the top of the recorder, without taking it out of my pocket or unlocking hold, and can confirm status by the small LED next to the IR reciever between input jacks on top of the recorder.  I think the remote will adjust gain as well while locked but I haven't tried that.  Since you have to physically aim the remote at the recorder, not having the remote locked is not a problem, just keep it in another pocket.

Curious about the flimsy screen issue on the HR, I hadn't heard anything about that.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
The DR-2D was definitely something I was thinking about... I did not realize it did 4-channel.  I know it records a "backup" to itself though.

I considered just gaff taping the M10 level knob, which would probably work, since I generally know about where I should set it.  But as I'm not one of the users that runs an external preamp when I'm recording low-profile, I would be stuck with whatever gain I set, unless I wanted to remove the tape. 

My R-09HR screen cracked when I had it in a bag with some other gear.  The screen itself is protected by a very flimsy piece of plastic that, if it takes any kind of direct hit, will smash and then let whatever the object is hit the actual screen.  The Sony's screen seems more solid to me.  And of course, the pre is better, too.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

Not sure if the DR2d is the best Tascam choice for a simple pocketable stereo recorder or not. The second copy at lower level feature could be useful if you have a tough time guessing appropriate gain settings, but I use it because of the 4 channel capability (note that you cannot change gain on the second stereo pair while recording). It works well, and it sounds slightly better to me than the original R-09, but the battery life is a bit short at ~4.5hrs.  If they provide the remote with their other decks you might look at those too.  To protect the screen and the whole recorder I keep mine inside a slim Station Inn beer coozie as a simple padded case which fits easily in my pocket.  I use the old Body Glove phone cases with the R-09s, but they're slightly short for the DR2d.

And of course, the pre is better, too.

Is it?  I've heard several users questioning that, and know one personally that has gone back to the HR.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:04:21 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
The older Marantz PDM-620 would be a good choice if you record mostly loud stuff (it gets a bit noisy if you need to add a lot of gain). A bit pricey though.

Maybe also worth considering the Oade concert mod version of the PMD620.  To me, it sounds great (and for quieter stuff too).  No 96 KHz sampling and Oade disables the internal mics, though, if those things are important to you.  I have an M10, but, to be honest, the Oade 620 is still my choice most of the time.  Let me know if you want some samples; I have a lot of recordings with it (including last night's The Bad Plus show with their typically broad range of volumes)...

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
I have a lot of recordings with it (including last night's The Bad Plus show with their typically broad range of volumes)...
Will this get torrented?
 :)
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
Maybe also worth considering the Oade concert mod version of the PMD620.  To me, it sounds great (and for quieter stuff too).  No 96 KHz sampling and Oade disables the internal mics, though, if those things are important to you.

That should be considered mandatory if you were going to pay the normal $399 price for an unmodded 620, since the 620 rarely seems to be discounted & Oade sells his modded units for only $30 more than that-its practically free.

I personally could care less about 96Hz. I can't hear the difference and like saving the disc space.

I got my unmodded 620 for $135 (after cash back) from E-Bay. If I had bought new, I'd have gotten one of the Oade mods.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:10:02 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Gutbucket

..including last night's The Bad Plus show with their typically broad range of volumes

Nice, love the BP.  Did you run the 4060s? How'd you set up?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
Quote from: acidjack link=topic=139586.msg1806695#msg1806695 date=

I considered just gaff taping the M10 level knob, which would probably work, since I generally know about where I should set it.  But as I'm not one of the users that runs an external preamp when I'm recording low-profile, I would be stuck with whatever gain I set, unless I wanted to remove the tape. 

Use gaffer or electrical tape and fold one end of it back on itself so you have a little tab you can pull on. You'll be able to pull the tape off just enough to adjust the gain and immediately re-secure the tape. Could not be easier and no one should  >:D taping without it.

I also like the r09 for this reason. If it didn't overload so easily by my nbox's fixed +20 db of gain, I wouldn't really have a preference between the m10 and the r09.  They're both great options!

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Quote from: acidjack link=topic=139586.msg1806695#msg1806695 date=

Use gaffer or electrical tape and fold one end of it back on itself so you have a little tab you can pull on. You'll be able to pull the tape off just enough to adjust the gain and immediately re-secure the tape. Could not be easier and no one should  >:D taping without it.

I also like the r09 for this reason. If it didn't overload so easily by my nbox's fixed +20 db of gain, I wouldn't really have a preference between the m10 and the r09.  They're both great options!

I can second the above statement .....thats the way I secure my M 10 dial after trashing two shows.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Will this get torrented?
 :)

I am not sure; I'll have to see how it sounds.  I haven't listened to it yet (haven't gotten it off the card for that matter!), but the sound at the venue wasn't balanced real well.  The drums were too prominent.  More like The Dave King Trio than The Bad Plus!  But I'm happy to get you a copy either way...

Nice, love the BP.  Did you run the 4060s? How'd you set up?

Me too.  This was a sort of cool set-up as well.  The concert hall (Kolner Philharmonie) is next to a museum (Museum Ludwig).  At 8:00, your concert ticket got you into the museum for a Roy Lichtenstein exhibit; at 9:00, The Bad Plus played a short set (~30 or 35 minutes) in the museum; and at 10:00 they played a full set in the concert hall...

But, to answer your questions:  Yes, I ran the 4060s.  I was pretty close up and dead center.  Call it approximate HRTF...And the crowd was good; almost no noise at all...From the crowd noise perspective, I think this will be a great recording.  Worried about Ethan and Reid getting swamped in the mix, though...

I'll be seeing them again Saturday (Tilburg, NL) and am contemplating the Thursday night show at the Bimhuis (Amsterdam) too...

P.S.  Sorry for the hijack!

Offline aosone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie

I've always used tape over controls I don't want to move.

Offline Dede2002

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star

I've always used tape over controls I don't want to move.

Sure, me too.
But the rec level is a whole different issue. It's not like Limiter or High Pass. Sometimes you have to mess with your recording level control.
That's why I don't have a M10.
It's amazing that a product of a reputable brand needs a dirt piece of tape to work properly.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 02:21:20 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
Where the heck are you guys putting your deck during  >:D taping where the dial moves?    ???
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com