Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD USBPRE2 - SONY PCM-M10 - MAC BOOK PRO 13" : experienced ?  (Read 8961 times)

Offline sonus2011

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
Re: SD USBPRE2 - SONY PCM-M10 - MAC BOOK PRO 13" : experienced ?
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 02:50:40 AM »
ok thanks for the info.

I will make some more recording test this week using the M10 and SOUNDMAN OKM (just to make sure the recorder is safe) and then I should go to NAIANT.

Better to work this way first, little by little. 

Thanks all for contribution !

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 06:28:57 AM »
Just a few clarifications.
the SONY PCM-M10 holds a short USB port but as far as I understand it is used when willing to transfer the files recorded to the computer.
It holds also one "MIC" entry port and one "LINE IN" port : so I suppose these are analog entries, yes. Still, I don't know if it's possible to connect the USBPRE2 to any of those ports. I guess it is.
With a preamp in front = line in, with mics directly = mic in
You can't use the USB port on the M10 for recording.

I believed that the USB connection was for the power only : the USBPRE2 get the power when connected to the computer. Not only reading your comments : the DATAS run both ways ? Am I understanding right ?
Yes, the USBPRE2 works as an external sound card over USB. The signal contains both sound as well as data to control the settings and goes both ways.

I made few test recordings with the SOUNDMAN OKM II KLASSIC ear plug microphones (binaural) : I connect them to the "LINE IN" port first and press "REC" but there was no recording signal, then I plug them into the "MIC" port and it ran straight fine.
The OKM II doesn't come with a preamp, AFAIK. There is an accessory called Soundman A3, but my understanding is that this is only a battery box with a -20dB attenuator pad:
http://www.soundman.de/englisch/prod_a3_eng.htm

So basically you found out the answer. No external preamp = use mic-in on the recorder.

There is one point I didn't understand : when the USBEPRE2 is connected to the computer what happen to the computer sound card ? I guess, the recording function will be possible thanks the recording software in use (Garage Band, Audacity...) but what about the role of the computer sound card ? Is the computer sound card still active when the USBPRE2 is connected to the computer ? I don't get the point here. 
Depending on your preferences when installing, you can simply disable the onboard sound card, and the external will take over (Control Panel > Sound and audio devices...)
Just for the info I looked also at the ROLLS PB224 (117 euros / 151 dollars) since it is in use by some famous US field recordists but a friend of man alert me on the fact the AC port of his broke after few rigs only...
For field use you'd be running on 9V batteries instead of AC anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that part. But most of us concluded that the PB224 is too large and clunky, it's not used much here. There's a lot of gear that offers better value for money, either preamps or plain phantom power (depending on your budget: Littlebox, UA-5, PS-2, Art USB Pre, Art Phantom II...)
Any experience with the MACKIE BLACKJACK ? Are the preamps of good quality ? Because it's USB and a more complete solution than the ROLLS PB224. And cheaper than USBPRE2.
Mackie has a good reputation, but we don't have a confirmation that the Blackjack can run as standalone device (ie without a computer). When preamps are bus-powered only, it's usually a sign of warning.
The predecessor Mackie Onyx Satellite does standalone, can be powered with an external battery, but resamples the analog signal IIRC. Might be a good budget option if you find it second hand and don't mind the bulk.
But if you put it next to the Littlebox, I personally value the stealth factor much more.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:31:16 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 09:09:57 AM »
If you thought you were going to get a recorder in the near future that did have a SPDIF in, then the usbpre2 could be run in analog only mode for now, and then use the ADC when you get your new recorder

What's wrong with an optical in, which the M10 has already?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 09:11:42 AM by Dogmusic »
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
If you thought you were going to get a recorder in the near future that did have a SPDIF in, then the usbpre2 could be run in analog only mode for now, and then use the ADC when you get your new recorder

m10 does NOT have optical in or coax for that matter
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »
Finally I just ordered the ROLLS PB224. I am sure NAIANT is much better but I can't wait three / four weeks and support additional custom taxes.

ROLLS PB224 should be there by the end of the week. I will post sound samples to whom it may concern.

The gear chain will be : Manfrotto 5001B Nano stand > K&M 236 couple steel bar > Audio Technica AT4022 's > Neutrik xlr cables > Rolls PB224 > Cables (brand to come) > Sony PCM-M10

Spot selected for sound test should be my balcony. I leave on the 8th floor. There are traffic lights crossroads downstreet and more interesting around 500 meters a playground. We will then hear how both AT4022's behave.

Thanks.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:59 PM »

m10 does NOT have optical in or coax for that matter

correct. the D50 does optical but not coax, but the M10 does neither.

and to clarify, optical/coax is the carrier/connector, but SPDIF data is what gets sent over those mediums.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »
Finally I just ordered the ROLLS PB224. I am sure NAIANT is much better but I can't wait three / four weeks and support additional custom taxes.     

Oh well. At least we gave you a second opinion.  :-\
The Art USB Dual Pre can be had for 92 EUR from a French retailer, and is IMHO a more versatile device than the Rolls (at 117 EUR):
http://www.musik-produktiv.fr/art-usb-dual-pre.aspx

Or if you were willing to spend a bit more, a Fast Track Pro for 147 EUR, also in France:
http://www.rueducommerce.fr/Son-Numerique-Home-Studio/Accessoires-DJ/Divers/M-AUDIO/4838060-FAST-TRACK-PRO-USB.htm

Anyway, there are always more opportunities to upgrade in the future. Keep us posted with your sound samples, they should be excellent!
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
Greetings.

ROLLS PB224 IIb is there. I had in mind to capture children activity in playground but they didn't show so I had to look somewhere else.
2 (two) samples coming.

Sample #1(attached)
- Description : "Birds singing in park followed by truck sudden acceleration"
- Date : January 14, 2011
- European time : 16:00 pm
- Recorded in LPCM 44/24
- no EQ : just fade in and fade out using AUDACITY
- WAV to MP3 conversion using SWITCH
- Duration : 17 sec.
- Spot : Paris 3ème, Square Rue des Blancs-manteaux
- Gear chain : Soundman OKM II Klassik studio > Sony PCM-M10
- Sony PCM-M10 rec level : 4.5
- Sony PCM-M10 low cut filter : desactivated
- Microphones : OKM Klassic II
- Binaural, mics in ears, SONY PCM-M10 handheld

Sample #2  : see next post.

Comment or question always welcome.

Thanks,

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »
   Sample #2 (attached)

- Description : "Firemen truck siren"
- Date : January 14, 2011
- European time : 18:00 pm
- Recorded in LPCM 44/24
- no EQ : just fade in and fade out using AUDACITY
- WAV to MP3 conversion using SWITCH
- Duration : 20 sec.
- Spot : my balcony, 8th floor, Le Pré St Gervais
- Gear chain : AT4022's > Cordial CMK 222 cable > Rolls PB224 > Cordial CF3WFF cable > Sony PCM-M10
- AT4022's microphones are plugged in "MIC IN" port
- Sony PCM-M10 rec level : 6
- Sony PCM-M10 low cut filter : desactivated
- AT cushion on mics head (light wind outside)
- "AB" technique : microphones mounted in parallel 35cm apart, 175cm from the floor
- warning : alarm cuts through so when listening with headphone adjust sound level to avoid ear trouble

Comment or question always welcome.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:24:15 PM by sonus2011 »

Offline andromedanwarmachine

• Taperssection Member
  • waiting for the perfect thunder storm
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 06:10:57 AM »
Hey Sonus-

that's a pretty crazy siren on that second take! Wasn't prepared for that at all! Good bit of spatial reverb when it cuts though.

A cursory audition reveals a low noise floor and good imaging- I'll have to hear it through my setup later though to comment properly.

Are you happy yourself with it?

JimP
Phillips N2233 "full auto shutoff"> Aiwa HSF-150 (x2)> Sony WM-D6C (x2)> Sony TCD-D3> Sony MZ-R3> Marantz PMD-650> Sony MZ-RH1> HHB Portadisc> Macbook 13"& M-box 2 +ProTools 8! and now Nagra LB!

http://soundcloud.com/andromedanwarmachine
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-scotland
http://soundcloud.com/bells-of-the-world

Offline sonus2011

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Sound rules
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
Hey Jim !

Thanks for nice comments.

The issue when recording innercity is that one gets inevitable "hum". My taste is "clean" signal.

When I listen to recordings done by great american recordist Curt Olson, ALL the signals he gets are extremely "clean" : they are all very disctinct, they all  "cut" through in a way. So at the end you get a very rich sound palette, something very pleasant to listen at. A kind of sound "document" that can exist by itself. Check his great web site "Track seventeen Productions Inc." and the sample name as "Spring Thunder w/ Siren" for example.

This firemen truck siren (sample two) cuts through indeed. It's a powerful signal that goes OVER the rest of the sound signals around and most of all that goes over the "hum" mood.

The best is yet to come with those AT4022's and I am quite happy with the SONY PCM-M10 (minimum noise), same as the ROLLS PB224 (good quality equipment).

Also, it's always a pleasure to write here, exchange and share experiences and ideas.

Thanks !

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com