Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ck1x>pfa>12-48Vpreamp and bypass tinybox  (Read 10143 times)

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
ck1x>pfa>12-48Vpreamp and bypass tinybox
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:59:10 AM »
I just purchase a couple of ck1x capsules from different sources and was planning to make a setup similar to the cmr rig. Tgakidis is going to make me a set new cables with lemo connectors that terminate down to a 6pin mini xlr. my goal is to have mshilarious make a set of PFA's that would be compatible with them so that they could be used with any preamp. can anyone confirm that it is possible to bypass using the Tinybox (if i wanted to) and just go:  ck1x>new lemo cables>pfa>recorder providing 12V to 48V phantom.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
Re: ck1x>pfa>12-48Vpreamp and bypass tinybox
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »
I just purchase a couple of ck1x capsules from different sources and was planning to make a setup similar to the cmr rig. Tgakidis is going to make me a set new cables with lemo connectors that terminate down to a 6pin mini xlr. my goal is to have mshilarious make a set of PFA's that would be compatible with them so that they could be used with any preamp. can anyone confirm that it is possible to bypass using the Tinybox (if i wanted to) and just go:  ck1x>new lemo cables>pfa>recorder providing 12V to 48V phantom.
You know that you can run ck1x directly off battery box power, right?

I think a standard (9v) battery box should work.  You could go: ck1x > bbox > flash recorder mic in

I built a setup like this a long time ago for Aberg.  I don't want to build any more, but I'm sure someone can help you.  The hard part is getting the wierd lemo (?) connectors to fit the ck1x capsules.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:38 PM »

I don't know if that's possible. I have a tinybox for my CKx caps that was built right after Ted's. Using PFA's instead was never mentioned by Jon. I would think it would have been mentioned at the time of our builds as an option since the PFA's were also available. With the recent postings in the AKG actives thread I can understand why you are asking. Jon will hopefully chime in or just email him.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
Done with the daaahhhhkkkk side louie?
Come back to where it started?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline Dkrogh

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • When is my next upgrade?
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 03:19:32 PM »
You know that you can run ck1x directly off battery box power, right?

I think a standard (9v) battery box should work.  You could go: ck1x > bbox > flash recorder mic in

I built a setup like this a long time ago for Aberg.  I don't want to build any more, but I'm sure someone can help you.  The hard part is getting the wierd lemo (?) connectors to fit the ck1x capsules.

Richard

And those lemo's Ted has found.  Info is over in the AKG active thread on what the exact part number is.
AKG ck63 > AKG c480b > Marantz PMD670

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 03:31:34 PM »

I don't know if that's possible. I have a tinybox for my CKx caps that was built right after Ted's. Using PFA's instead was never mentioned by Jon. I would think it would have been mentioned at the time of our builds as an option since the PFA's were also available. With the recent postings in the AKG actives thread I can understand why you are asking. Jon will hopefully chime in or just email him.

you probably didn't ask him. I am assuming if all the electronics are in the capsule of the ck1x then the pfa's should work perfect. that way you can use it similar to the cmr>pfa>preamp setup. this is a secondary rig that I just wanted to check out. If I end up not liking it, I will put it in the Yardsale. hoping that my SGCm clips or my rycote invision INV-2 shockmounts will work perfectly with them.

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 07:54:05 AM »

you probably didn't ask him. I am assuming if all the electronics are in the capsule of the ck1x then the pfa's should work perfect. that way you can use it similar to the cmr>pfa>preamp setup. this is a secondary rig that I just wanted to check out. If I end up not liking it, I will put it in the Yardsale. hoping that my SGCm clips or my rycote invision INV-2 shockmounts will work perfectly with them.

no, i did not ask.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 09:02:46 AM »
sounds to me like it should work but i don't know jack about this stuff
on a side note if it was that easy i think jon would have done it already
i am interest in seeing the real answer just because i like akg and jon
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 11:26:19 AM »

On 2/17/2011 3:37 PM, Liokis, Louis E wrote:
Jon,
   I tried to send you a PM on Taperssection but it was blocked. I was wondering if you can build me a set of PFA's for akg ck1x capsule that would allow me to bypass the tinybox similar to the cmr>pfa setup you helped me achieve. Ted Gakidis is going to wire new lemo cables that terminate into a 6pin mini xlr connector so that I can use it with either a new 12V tinybox or PFA's (if possible). Thanks for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Louie Liokis

His response:
Yes, it is possible to power CK1x capsules with a PFA.

Regards,

Jon

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
$69, you can order from the site if you like ($59 PFA + $10 mini-XLR):

http://www.naiant.com/naiant/inlinedevices.html

This will have a male 6-pin mini-XLR so the mics should have a female connector.

Jon

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 01:00:43 PM »
nice
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ts

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
well, i guess i should have asked. could have saved ~120. :P

On 2/17/2011 3:37 PM, Liokis, Louis E wrote:
Jon,
   I tried to send you a PM on Taperssection but it was blocked. I was wondering if you can build me a set of PFA's for akg ck1x capsule that would allow me to bypass the tinybox similar to the cmr>pfa setup you helped me achieve. Ted Gakidis is going to wire new lemo cables that terminate into a 6pin mini xlr connector so that I can use it with either a new 12V tinybox or PFA's (if possible). Thanks for your time and consideration.

Regards,

Louie Liokis

His response:
Yes, it is possible to power CK1x capsules with a PFA.

Regards,

Jon

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
Makes complete sense.  I have rebuilt a few sets of the mk46 cables.  There is a small circuit board inside the coupler that connects the cable to the 460 preamp.  It's a small disc with 1 or 2 resistors.  I should pop mine open and see if I can identify the values.  In the mean time I think that I will order a 12v pfa set from Jon.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline NOLAfishwater

• I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »
pfa's ordered. and check this out

well, it looks like the Rycote INV-2 a good fit for the older style capsules

can be found here: http://www.pro-sound.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PSS&Product_Code=SRYC041102&Category_Code=

Offline EarlyMorningRain

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 02:16:42 PM »
this is a secondary rig that I just wanted to check out. If I end up not liking it, I will put it in the Yardsale

will be keeping an eye in the YS for any nola posts......
 ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com