Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H1 for around $100, or....?  (Read 10832 times)

Offline marsev

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Zoom H1 for around $100, or....?
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
I am looking to update my simple recoring gear.
I'm not deep into this hobby, just casual. Sort of...

I've had a Sony Minidisc (MZ-R50) for ages.

The Zoom H1 is about $100. Couldn't be worse than my minidisc, could it?
is there a vastly superior recorder for the same price?

My mic is a small Sony ECM 717.

any info is appreciated.

Offline TimeBandit

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Zoom H1 for around $100, or....?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:20:03 AM »
used Tascam DR07 (old model) or if it should be brand new Tascam Dr-05
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »
I wouldn't put money into Zoom gear if I could avoid it. As TimeBandit points out, there are better-made new decks available at around $100 that will be better for your needs.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:49 PM »
Ok different thinks to point out:

is you can get a zoom h2 (that what looks like an electric shaver ) some people can really make nice recordings with tweaking the settings of the internal mics, but you need a bit of basic knowledge there.

But the zoom h1 is really rubbish, even can´t competate with my backup gear Yamaha Pocketrak W24  :-X

If you can´t afford much money the cheapest way to go:

Tascam DR07 (old model) used around 60 Dollars , Eneloop Batterys + charger so running time doesn´t really matter - around 25 Dollars, church Audio Ca9100 Preamp + 9 V Battery (with luck you get an used one for around 30 Dollars) or cheaper ugly bb,  + Ca 14 Mics from Yard Sale here and you are set!

For recording with 24 Bit / 48 kHz an good Class 2 SD Card from Transcend or Kingston is good. have also in use class 2 cards and no problems (2 Kingston, 4 Transcend)

2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »
thanks, i see a few of the Tascam models mentioned here are $150 or less.

i also found the Zoom H2 gets a lot of good reviews.
(nevermind the H1.)

are the cheaper Tascam models better than the H2?
i'm reading a lot of postive things about the H2.

i will NOT be using the internal mics.

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 01:41:23 PM »
just another spot:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145681.0;topicseen

tec specs like old Tascam Dr 07, internal mics not good, but has line and mic in.

if you want to go with external gear, watch at the models i listed above.

Teh H2 and Tascam DR5 van record 24 Bit / 96 kHz but my opinion for recording stage PA powered bands 24 Bit / 48 kHz is enough, 96 kHz is necessary if you want do record ambient / nature sounds or pure acoustic sets or maybe wanna do professional productions.

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »
wow. great deal in that link!

but should i be worried about a $50 recorder?

ok, so, i am buying something tomorrow.

should it be a $50 TASCAM DR-03 
or a $150 Zoom H2?
or a $150 Tascam Dr 07?

although Tascam is a more reliable company,
i see a lot of good things about the H2.

i'm using a sony ecm717 mic...maybe CA-11's

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 09:39:21 PM »
Have not used one myself but know a guy who went with an h-2 to save a few bucks. A month later he was back at it buying a tascam. Zoom sound is not the issue, it's build quality.  Tascam has these issues too but maybe to a lesser degree. IMHO the extra $50 for a Sony M10 will get you a reliable deck that won't be in the garbage in a year. Buy nice or buy twice is the general rule and I have suffered when I didn' follow it. Considering the costs of this hobby overall, the extra 50 bucks isn't that significant and you will get a much better piece of equipment. 

But at least avoid the zoom. Seriously. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 09:56:18 PM »
thanks. buy nice or buy twice. good advice!

but...i may just stay with my old minidisc!

i started out to only spend $100...then $150...now $215....ha ha!
yes, I like Sony products. I'll look into that model, and count my pennies.

thanks! ...any other opinions welcome.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:58:21 PM by marsev »

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
Buy the Sony, you won't be disappointed.

The build quality is great.  Then you will start to appreciate other things, like battery life, button placement, etc.  It is just a pleasure to use.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline kylieshotpants

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »
Hi

I switched from mini disc to Zoom H1 & am pleased with it, I think a lot of reviews are snobbish- sure the build quality is so-so but use external mic and that cuts out the handling issue.  The best part is the big red record button and lack of menus.

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
I've had an H2 since they first came out and had no trouble with it. I've moved on but keep it as a backup. I even once knocked it off a bar hard where it hit a solid wood bar stool before rebounding onto the concrete floor and its still kicking with no obvious damage. I even loaned to a friend for a year while he was getting his feet wet in taping and its still working. So much for flimsy build quality. What does suck on them is the external mic input. The line in works fine and I sometimes use it as a bit bucket with my old UA-5 as a pre. Will the H2 be as good as a 722 or an R-44, no. But its not as bad as some people will try to make it out to be. Also, if you see one for more than about $125 for one you need to keep shopping, they are out there new for about that. But also as noted, there are a lot of small digital recorders on the market now that weren't around when the H2 came out in 2007 and some of those may be quite a bit better.

Here's a recording using the H2 with its internal mics (no PA and guitar through a tiny Roland Cube amp):
https://home.comcast.net/~cybergaloot/WaneeCampfireJam-2009-06-06-04.wav

Here's a sample using some CA-11 omnis into a CA9000 then into the line in on the H2:
https://home.comcast.net/~cybergaloot/RobertWalter%27s20thCongress-2009-11-14-CA11o-12.wav

And I think this one was using CA-14 omnis>CA-9000>H2
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
Spend the money and get the sony M10!! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:39:01 PM »
although Tascam is a more reliable company,
i see a lot of good things about the H2.

i'm using a sony ecm717 mic...maybe CA-11's

If you can lend/save up to $220, the Sony M10 is the best spent money in this bracket for sure.
If you're going to be really really tight on money for a long time, or too impatient to save up, get a used Tascam.

Like others said, the H2 mic input is really noisy. Unless you have an external pre, the H2 is a bad match to your current mic.
You will need a recorder with a decent gain stage.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 05:46:45 PM »
Well, my advice is to rob a bank and buy a 744, a V3 and really nice mics! Heck, I don't have that yet. I'm at R-44 plus ADK-tl mics. Not what marsev was looking for though.

I don't mean to sound like I'm pushing the H2. And I'm sure a much better recorder could be had for a hundred dollars more.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 08:59:03 PM »
thanks...thanks...thanks...
each answer i get leads to 15 more questions....

i still welcome ideas/opinions, but wow! brain overload!
as you all know, this stuff is endlessly nuanced.

i'll either use my ecm717, or:
i'm getting some CA-11's with the tiny CA 9V battery power.
that's as fancy as my mic power will be.

i'm fine using my minidisc with this, but I hate changing discs at 79 minutes.

it could be that with this simple mic setup, it won't matter what I use..?
I know minidisc is technically lossy, but is a better recorder going to change the sound/range?

ugh. i envy you all. i'm so far behind on technology!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 09:15:30 PM by marsev »

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 03:19:15 AM »
Recovering minidisc user here...the Sony PCM-M10 is what you want, what you need, what you will enjoy, what you will love. Its built-in mics are good and with your external mics you will be thrilled. Just think of it as a minidisc unit you can record to 320kbps MP3 or .wav, upload without any encryption and run for 30-40 hours on one set of batteries. With a fairly familiar interface--track button, etc.--and a better display.  Just get the Sony. They finally got it right.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:00:07 PM by earmonger »

Offline BitRater

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Gizmo Planet Electronics Reviews
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 06:57:32 PM »
I am looking to update my simple recoring gear.
I'm not deep into this hobby, just casual. Sort of...

I've had a Sony Minidisc (MZ-R50) for ages.

The Zoom H1 is about $100. Couldn't be worse than my minidisc, could it?
is there a vastly superior recorder for the same price?

My mic is a small Sony ECM 717.

any info is appreciated.

Well, I started out in the recording hobby with a Zoom H2. It was OK audio-wise, but build quality was such that it felt more like a cheap toy than a semi-serious tool. Noisy preamps for the external mic in circuit, too. And while I've never owned a Zoom H1, I suspect its build quality will be similar.

Then I got myself a Marantz PMD620 and really liked it, but had to sell it because I needed the money (and am still regretting having sold it). It had really quiet external mic preamps for a small handheld recorder, and despite having a fair bit of plastic in its construction, actually felt more like a professional tool.

After I sold the PMD620, I got a TASCAM DR-07, which works really well. My only complaints with the recorder are that the battery life is a little short, and the body is made out of a fairly cheap, smooth plastic that generates a lot of handling noise that can be heard if you're using the internal mics.  In other words, build quality is just OK, but somewhat less junky-feeling than the Zoom H2. Sound-wise, the DR-07 is superior to the Zoom, and a notch below the Marantz. The controls on the DR-07 are also much easier to operate than the ones on the Zoom H2.

Any one of these recorders would work well with your ECM-717, but be aware that the external mic preamps on the TASCAM DR-07 seem to work better with mics that have a good strong signal (i.e. are a little bit 'hot').  If you go with the DR-07 you may want to consider getting a mic preamp to boost the signal level on your ECM 717.

Finally, while the DR-07 has been discontinued, it's still available in a number of places for around $150 - 170.00.  I got mine last year from an online retailer for $129.00. If you can't get a DR-07, get the DR-07 Mark II. It's supposedly better than the original, and sells for about $150.00. Amazon has an affiliate selling them for $99.00 (and I have no connection, financial or otherwise, with TASCAM or Amazon).

I realize that price range is beyond your intended budget, but if you can stretch another fifty bucks or so, it will be money well spent.

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 07:22:59 PM »
thanks all.

i now have CA-11's plus the tiny CA B2 Battery Box.
(on loan).

would the m10 negate the need for a battery box? i like to travel light!

are pre-amps necessary for any of these recorders?
i'm green, but from what i gather, pre-amps aren't necessary, they just enhance sound,
or are only necessary for bigger mics...?

i'm not sure what "Noisy preamps for the external mic" means

as it turns out, i may "buy" an M10 for a month and return it "like new"..... >:D
or maybe keep it and not eat for a month ;D

Offline BitRater

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Gizmo Planet Electronics Reviews
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
thanks all.

i now have CA-11's plus the tiny CA B2 Battery Box.
(on loan).

would the m10 negate the need for a battery box? i like to travel light!

It depends. A battery box is designed to supply power to certain kinds of
microphones, chiefly mics that use XLR connectors and need something called
phantom power.

The PCM-M10, being powered by two 'AA' size batteries, does not
have sufficient power of its own to provide such microphones with the voltage they
need to function correctly. If you stick with electret condenser mics using a 1/8" (3.5mm)
mini-plug connection, you won't need a battery box. And since you're just getting your feet wet in
the recording hobby, I wouldn't worry about getting one anytime soon. Focus on
making good recordings with the mic you have and a decent recorder like the DR-07 I
recommended, or the Sony PCM-M10.

are pre-amps necessary for any of these recorders?
i'm green, but from what i gather, pre-amps aren't necessary, they just enhance sound,
or are only necessary for bigger mics...?

Pre-amps do not enhance sound. For recording applications, they boost the signal of a mic so that it provides sufficient signal, or strength for a recorder to
work with. Mic signal levels that are too low will cause noise in the sound you hear in your recordings and will also make the sound harder to hear.

i'm not sure what "Noisy preamps for the external mic" means

Recorders like the PCM-M10, etc., have internal mic preamps of their own that are directly connected to the mic-in jack of the recorder. The problem is that
they are not designed to compensate for mics that output weak signals, only to boost whatever signal level is there to a voltage that the recorder's processing
circuitry needs in order to work properly. External preamps are designed to get around this issue.

In some cases, the internal preamps found in some small handheld recorders are inherently noisy. This is often due to
manufacturers choosing to go with cheaper circuitry in order to either increase their profit margin, or to permit their
recorders to be sold at a specific price, said price usually being decided on by the manufacturer's marketing department.
The end result is noisy recordings - where the noise sounds like a hissing sound.

as it turns out, i may "buy" an M10 for a month and return it "like new"..... >:D
or maybe keep it and not eat for a month ;D

The PCM-M10 is so highly rated, it's probably likely you'll like it a lot and decide to keep it.
And since the M10 typically sells for about $220US, you'll only be spending about a hundred
or so more than you were planning to spend! So it doesn't sound to me like you won't be eating
for a month! :)

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 01:13:28 AM »
Slow down, wait a minute.

Let's not confuse a battery box with phantom power, which is pretty hefty, 45V or so.

Mics plugged directly into the Sony mic jack (and most others) get a little bit of power called plug-in (not phantom) power (and are preamplified by the built-in preamp).  I forget how much plug-in power the PCM-M10 provides--it's less than 5V.  That's  enough to power the CA-11.

But if you are recording loud music, like most concerts, you want to give the mics a little bit more power so they can handle higher sound pressure. Hence the battery box--9V or 12V--and going into Line-in, which doesn't have a preamp and thus needs a stronger signal. You can POSSIBLY get away without the battery box and go into mic-in with the Sony, but if you are at a loud show, you run the risk of distortion either coming direcly from an overloaded (underpowered) microphone or an overloaded built-in preamp.

Executive summary: CA-11---->Battery Box--->Line-in.  Manual levels (switch on back), and I'd guesstimate you put the volume knob at about 3--but look at the meters and adjust accordingly.

Even with the battery box, you're traveling light. Get a little camera case, like the Lowepro Ridge30, which has a little pouch that holds the battery box and an outer flap with a zipper slot in it that perfectly holds the flat PCM-M10 remote.

By the way, the ECM-717 has low sensitivity, useful for recording loud concerts, but not much bass response. The CA-11 is going to blow it away. 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 01:15:45 AM by earmonger »

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 02:35:18 AM »
thanks again BitRater and earmonger. very helpful info!

this thread has been a refresher. all these terms and model types,
it can get confusing if you aren't knee-deep in it already.
i'm about clear as mud!....

i have recorded with the CA-11's once (plus BB), and though the recording was better,
i didn't enjoy all the extra wire and wondering if the 9V disconnected in my pocket!

yes, my ecm717 - love it to death. so small, simple. no extra power needed.
using that + minidisc, it's like zero effort to record a show.
But the sound sucks if i'm not in a tight room, right in front of speakers!

so, i will update my recorder and use the BB.
much respect to you folks who lug around preamps, etc.

i like all kind of audience recordings...DFC SBD area on mic stands....but i particularly like
raw up-front recordings with major sound-pressure levels. you can only get that going up close,
carrying everything on you.

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25:07 AM »
You could try the CA-11 straight into mic-in, without the battery box. There's enough power.

I just don't know if your concerts are going to be loud enough to overload the mic or the preamp--you'd have to do the experiment. (Or simulate the concert with your stereo cranked way up.) Anyway, go into MENU/Detail Menu on the PCM-M10 and turn on the Limiter, which will lower the input volume if you start to overload, and could save you. 

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 10:54:48 AM »
You could try the CA-11 straight into mic-in, without the battery box. There's enough power.

I'm pretty sure Chris Church recommends 9v for his mics, not the 3v plug in power. Get one of his battery boxes or preamps. I'd recommend the CA-14 mics over the CA-11s. One thing in favor of the CA-11s is that you can buy the caps so you can go omni or card depending on your need but from what I've read, cards are the way to go for you most of the time.

BTW, many people are using the H1 as a replacement for the mics on their video cameras by using an adapter for the hot shoe. Considering the sound I hear from most videos on YouTube, this has to be a great improvement! Not as good as the Rode mic/preamp designed for video cameras though.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
i should of said at the beginning, this was all in preparation for some June concerts.

i still haven't bought a recorder. but still have time.
i have CA-11's & the small CA 9v battery box.

here's the question, sorry if it's redundant or answered x1000 elsewhere..

how does a better recorder improve the sound over a minidisc?
i know that minidisc is lossy. but it's not something my ears perceive.

will i get the same sound with CA-11>minidisc vs. CA-11>M10?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 12:02:44 AM »
I, too, recommend getting a Sony PCM-M10. You can record in 24-bit and run your levels a bit more conservative, and boost them w/ audio editing software[Audacity is freeware]. That way you could pretty much just set your levels low and not have to check them the whole show. And keep using the 9v BB, or your mics risk overloading at high SPL's ;) I just bought a pair of CA-14 Cards and a 9v Sound Professionals Battery Box to run into my M10, when I need to go *stealthy* :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 05:48:28 AM »

It depends how the internals in the units are, maybe some HiFish Cthulhu Voodoo Priest can say via listening on a same Demo File "this was recorded with the Sony and this with a Tascam". It might be and is really noticeable in very old or special equipment like Tube Preamped mics or pre stages or like that. Stuff like such equipment has it´s own footprint. But on digital recorders it is less important factor, especially you run the recorder at unity gain (= means the signal runs straight to the memory card, no amping / touch via internal stages) and do the gain on the Preamp which is powering the mics. So the mics and Preamp are the factor about adding their note on the recording, not the recorder.

The Big Deal with the SD Card Recorder is you can record in 24 Bit / 48 kHZ, so a bit more room for later improvements - maybe more gain oder EQing out bad frequencies. An 24 Bit / 48 kHZ recording has more information - better resolution, so an Plugin at Postpro can work better this this Plus of Information.

It´s a bit like digital photography. an 12 MP picture taken out of my DSLR has more information than switched down to 2 MP, And the RAW file out of cam is like a 24 Bit recording, JPEG like MP3 ...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 11:28:38 PM »

It depends how the internals in the units are, maybe some HiFish Cthulhu Voodoo Priest can say via listening on a same Demo File "this was recorded with the Sony and this with a Tascam". It might be and is really noticeable in very old or special equipment like Tube Preamped mics or pre stages or like that. Stuff like such equipment has it´s own footprint. But on digital recorders it is less important factor, especially you run the recorder at unity gain (= means the signal runs straight to the memory card, no amping / touch via internal stages) and do the gain on the Preamp which is powering the mics. So the mics and Preamp are the factor about adding their note on the recording, not the recorder.

The Big Deal with the SD Card Recorder is you can record in 24 Bit / 48 kHZ, so a bit more room for later improvements - maybe more gain oder EQing out bad frequencies. An 24 Bit / 48 kHZ recording has more information - better resolution, so an Plugin at Postpro can work better this this Plus of Information.

It´s a bit like digital photography. an 12 MP picture taken out of my DSLR has more information than switched down to 2 MP, And the RAW file out of cam is like a 24 Bit recording, JPEG like MP3 ...

well said
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 01:02:40 AM »
Minidisc recording at SP was 292 kbps, kilobits per second. That's how much musical information is recorded per second. SP was a very good compression algorithm, with a very musical sound, but it simply did not capture as much information as the best mp3 setting on the PCM-M10 (320 kbps) or the even better .wav choices.

Yes, minidisc sounded good, and your ears got used to filling in the information that was compressed out of the actual recording. But if you record with your same ECM717 mic you will get more detail with more kbps. If you record with better mics, like the CA-11, you will get a better input (the signal from the mics) as well as  a more detailed recording.

Compression really does matter. I routinely recorded concerts at LP2 (132 kbps) with my old minidisc (you didn't have that on the R50)  so I didn't have to change discs. And then when I switched to Hi-SP (256 kbps) with Hi-MD I realized how squashed the LP2 recordings were. Do you own test, maybe on an opening act you don't care about. Take both the MZ-R50 and the PCM-M10 to a show, record part of the same song with the same mics in each one  (at SP and 320 kbps .mp3 or 24/48 .wav) and compare. Compensate for the difference in volume when you play back. I'm pretty sure you will hear a difference.

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 07:22:26 PM »
alright, i ordered the M10!

it will arrive next week, with barely a day to spare before i go on a road trip and record some shows!

I am well aware of ALL the info here...

but can someone please re-cap an idiot-proof simple guide
for how to use this thing once I get it...i won't have time to experiment.

any advice is appreciated...

I will be recording rock shows. Amplified acoustic. Not heavy on bass.
It's Bill Callahan (Smog), if you are familiar...not balls-out rock music.

I will have M10 > CA-11's with CA 9v battery box.

So I go Line in (not mic in)?
Use limiter?
Low sensitivity?
rec level knob - where to set it?
I don't want to be monitoring levels, etc.

with four 90-minute shows, how much space will I need?
will that exceed the internal space?

(i also ordered some extra cards)

I'm not familiar with 16/24 bit options.
I'm gonna want these shows on CDR.
What settings do I use?

------

Previously, I have recorded with minidisc Sony R50 > Sony ECM 717.
I had my settings at high mic sens, limiter off.
i've had the buttons taped in place for years....

it was plug in and record, no thinking or effort involved.
(but lower quality recorings of course)

Offline tailschao

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2011, 03:52:38 AM »
-Line In.
-No limiter/AGC/anything like that.
-Record in 24 Bit. 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz is up to you. 44.1 is CD standard so it might be easier/faster to post-produce than dithering 48 down. Either way you will have to convert from 16 to 24 - but there is a good reason to do that. I record in 24/48 but that's just because I like whole numbers...
-Recording Level totally depends on the volume at the show. Eventually you will be able to roughly guess based on experience with your gear and listening to the support act, but for now - switch gear on during support act, experiment with levels (and look at them). Try to get them peaking at -10dB ish. Leave them in place. When headline act comes on, check your levels again - if they look OK still (and the volume in the room sounds the same as support act), put the deck away and leave it alone. You don't have to monitor levels constantly, but you will have to check at least once at the start of the show. Recording in 24 Bit allows you to be more careful with your levels and set them lower to be sure against clipping. The 24 Bit increases the dynamic range of the recording so you can boost the volume in post-production with fewer problems than 16 Bit.
-Sensitivity - no idea, but I'd guess it's not relevant/used if you're using Line In.
-24/48 takes roughly 1GB per hour, 24/44.1 slightly less - but only slightly. Internal space is 4GB I believe.

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2011, 01:56:01 AM »
thanks tailschao.

i'm printing this stuff out and taking it with me.

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2011, 02:53:17 AM »
AGC is a definite no-no but it doesn't hurt to put the Limiter on. Callahan is relatively quiet but you never know when there will be a huge spike.

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2011, 01:39:15 PM »
thanks again earmonger. i'm guessing the limiter is independent from the Rec Level.
the limiter just prevents spikes?

if i have an extra memory card in, does the M10 record to the card first?
do I select where it goes via the menu?

is it easy to know where the data is stored (internal or card)?

i'm not a total dummy, just trying to prepare. when i have the M10 in hand,
i'm sure many things will be obvious.

"levels peaking at -10dB ish" is superb info. i've never, ever concerned myself with levels before.

Offline cybergaloot

• Poohbah!
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2011, 07:05:34 PM »
You'll hear some people say to set the levels so they just hit the 0dB level. This would be wrong, go for the -10dB as previously stated. The reason is the meter on a digital recorder stops at 0dB for a reason, that is when the digital "word" is full. If you are running 24 bit, all 24 bits are used up. Its a brickwall. In old analog recorders the practice was to let the needle go past 0dB occasionally and that idea is stuck in some people's heads.
--
Walter

this>that>the other

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 12:32:02 AM »
You tell the PCM-M10 where to store via the Memory choice in the Menu. It's very obvious.

Its format  puts 10 folders on the machine and 10 on the card. The folder button on the upper left chooses where the recordings are stored.

The recordings will be date-stamped as their filenames. Very easy to search via computer.

Offline marsev

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »
got the M10.

not clear on this - is the MIC SENS switch only for the internal mics?
i'm using externals, CA-11's.

so, should i be using HI or LOW mic sens (ATT)?

is there a good way to make sample recordings?
i'm making sound samples from my stereo, but my stereo is weak
(not comparable to a club PA, obviously).

earlier it was said to NOT use the limiter...but it sounds like a good idea
to me, based on reading the manual.

my first time dealing with levels, not sure if I have the hang of it.
-10 db should be the peak, what is the norm?

this is my last day to ask questions, going to the front lines for war tomorrow!

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 11:25:16 AM »
^^^ The mic sensitivity switch is for internals or externals going into the mic input.  It doesn't affect the line input.  You'll probably want low, if you're going mic-in, unless it is a really quiet source...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 62 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com