Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Flying to shoreline furthur shows, how should i bring my gear on the plane  (Read 8647 times)

Offline lastubbe

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Copper-dome Bodhi drip a silver kimono
    • Dead-Phish
If the battery is connected to the 722, does it have a greater chance of getting through unnoticed?

Also on the clamp issue.  Can it be carried on with no issues?  I was concerned it would be considered a dangerous metal object.

I'm flying next weekend for Phish, so I need to get everything in order soon.

I also would check nothing of real value.  My parents were flying back from a vacation a few years back going through Philly on US Airways (rough), and thought it was a good idea to pack the new digital camera in the suitcase cause they didn't want to carry it on.  Suffice to say it was gone when they unpacked. 

« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:13:38 PM by lastubbe »
DPA 4023>Sonosax SX-M2/EAA PSP-2>Sound Devices 722 (24/96)
http://dead-phish.com
http://twitter.com/lastubbe
@lastubbe

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Anyone know how many 9V DVD Li-ion batteries (6000 mAh) I can carry on with me?  Probably only need 2, but would like to take 3 in case.

Going to a 2 day fest in Mississippi - I've already arranged to borrow a stand in Memphis - I may be the only taper there but would prefer not to drag a stand with me.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
If the battery is connected to the 722, does it have a greater chance of getting through unnoticed?

I didn't try and push the limit, I figure I can pack a charger and just not run an external with it. They've always had trouble with my 722, I asked once and they said it's because there is just a ton of stuff inside so they never get a good xray.

Also on the clamp issue.  Can it be carried on with no issues?  I was concerned it would be considered a dangerous metal object.

Never had a problem with my superclamp. My extendable arm got a glance once but never the clamp.

I also would check nothing of real value.  My parents were flying back from a vacation a few years back going through Philly on US Airways (rough), and thought it was a good idea to pack the new digital camera in the suitcase cause they didn't want to carry it on.  Suffice to say it was gone when they unpacked.

I concur for similar reasons.

Anyone know how many 9V DVD Li-ion batteries (6000 mAh) I can carry on with me?  Probably only need 2, but would like to take 3 in case.

Going to a 2 day fest in Mississippi - I've already arranged to borrow a stand in Memphis - I may be the only taper there but would prefer not to drag a stand with me.

Technically if it's really li-ion then you probably can get 3, but bring MSDS sheets if you can find them to explain what the compound is and that the watt-hr rating is low enough that you are not exceeding 8 units of their equivalent scale (so a max of 25 units per person). The rub is what they consider "larger" batteries. Their publication (PDF) says you get 2 larger ones which are "8 equivalent units" which translates to around 100watt hours per with a max of 25 units per person per flight. The sticky point is lithium vs lithium ion and how much lithium is in the later. All of this is on the books because they can't put out a lithium fire with what they carry on the plane.

Now, will someone in bumfuck usa understand the reg of equivalent units? Dunno, I've never wanted to get into it with these folks since they have plastic gloves and vaseline.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site

Technically if it's really li-ion then you probably can get 3, but bring MSDS sheets if you can find them to explain what the compound is and that the watt-hr rating is low enough that you are not exceeding 8 units of their equivalent scale (so a max of 25 units per person). The rub is what they consider "larger" batteries. Their publication (PDF) says you get 2 larger ones which are "8 equivalent units" which translates to around 100watt hours per with a max of 25 units per person per flight. The sticky point is lithium vs lithium ion and how much lithium is in the later. All of this is on the books because they can't put out a lithium fire with what they carry on the plane.

Now, will someone in bumfuck usa understand the reg of equivalent units? Dunno, I've never wanted to get into it with these folks since they have plastic gloves and vaseline.

Thanks, page.  This pointed me in the right direction.  It turns out since they are under 100 watt hours, you can take quite a few. Now, as you say, convincing someone they are under 8 grams (100 watt hours equivalent) may be another story.

Looked for an MSDS, but couldn't locate one.  I'll look a bit more, but may need to go without.  Last time I flew, no one asked about the batteries.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

cashandkerouac

• Trade Count: (0)
Hey, if you end up not bringing your stand you can clamp onto mine.  I'll be at Shoreline for both shows.

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
I wound up making a bag for my mic stand, and carried on the rest of the gear, checked my suitcase and mic stand.

they searched my gear bag twice and were a little weirded out by the shotgun capsule box for the nak 100's until I showed them the mic. also they looked closely at my ni-mh batteries, but everything got on the plane. :)
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
I wound up making a bag for my mic stand, and carried on the rest of the gear, checked my suitcase and mic stand.

they searched my gear bag twice and were a little weirded out by the shotgun capsule box for the nak 100's until I showed them the mic. also they looked closely at my ni-mh batteries, but everything got on the plane. :)

were the batteries in pack form with a random cable coming out (aka "home made plastic explosive" style)? I had a TSA lady in Boston who did the same thing once cause she got a glimps of the bag as I put it on the table before scanning.  ;D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline vegeta_ban

• Taperssection Member
nah, they were radioshack rc car batteries, brought 4, and the charger. I taped the cable ends of the batteries so there could be no shorts and had them wrapped in a separate plastic baggy in my taping case. Really condensed the case this time.  they were also curious about the zoom h2 haha

were the batteries in pack form with a random cable coming out (aka "home made plastic explosive" style)? I had a TSA lady in Boston who did the same thing once cause she got a glimps of the bag as I put it on the table before scanning.  ;D
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline fleish

• Trade Count: (4)
  • I've been safariing since before you were born
I wouldn't bring a stand at all if you know of someone else you can clamp to. I checked mine for Bonnaroo a few years back and it was damaged - I'm pretty sure during TSA inspection. It's a Sure S15A and it wasn't destroyed - but the threaded top was bent a little. I bent it back out myself so I can still screw things on to it - but it's not a smooth a process as it was when before the incident.

As for carrying on gear, it's funny to hear the varying levels of problems people have had. The worst I've ever gotten from the TSA was @ SEATAC 2 years ago. The woman running the X-ray machine asked me what was in my bag "out of curiosity" ... she didn't hold my bag or ask for secondary (re)screening or anything ... she just wanted to know what the stuff was. I told her and away I walked. Another time coming back from Indio for Festival 8 I waltzed right through with an R4 & 2 sets of mics + all the my cables ... while a fellow taper who wasn't carrying any gear was stopped and screened because of disc golf plastic ... and was told to pull that out of the bag next time and send it through separately. You just never know what's gonna do it IMO.
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
I wouldn't want to fly with an Nbox--the inside of those look sketchy as hell...
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
I wouldn't want to fly with an Nbox--the inside of those look sketchy as hell...

so true :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Seth01

• Taperssection Regular
Last summer I flew with a large Pelican hard case.  Designed to just meet the carry on specs.  It was packed full of mics, pres, cables, batteries and all kinds of goodness.  On top of that, I had a padlock on it.  Never got asked to open it.  One person asked me what was in it and when I said audio recording gear they said OK, x-rayed it and let me through without ever having to open it.  I checked my stand and it took quite a beating but survived.
Mics: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14 cards, CA-11 omnis, CAFS, Naiant X-X omnis, AT853 cards (with 4.7k mod)
Pres: Naiant Bigbox, CA-9100, CA-UGLY, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Sony M-10, Zoom H4n, Edirol R-09 (retired)
Archive
eTree
Dime
YouTube Channel

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com