Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What digital recorder with preamp devices allin one on the market?  (Read 6147 times)

Offline Duconlajoie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Sorry for this newbie query, apart from the SD 702 (expensive even in second hand), is there other devices allin one on the market? With four tracks that would be great.
The USBPre 2 doesn't record if I understand well.
If you can give me the full brand name and the name of the device, it will be easier to found it. Some acronymes send too many answers by google.
Thanks

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
Re: What digital recorder with preamp devices allin one on the market?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 12:56:18 PM »
Assuming you want 4 channels or more with at least 4 preamps... ->

Edirol R44, Tascam DR-680, Edirol R-4/Pro

Nagra, Zaxcom and Sound Devices all make high end multichannel recorders as well.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 02:45:43 PM »
...and with stereo only, you have a few more - the Tascam DR-100 and the Marantz PMD661, among others.

Do you have specific mics in mind to run with this machine?

Also, to clarify, the responses to your question, which I assume is what you wanted, refer to recorders that provide 48 volt phantom power.  All recorders have preamps in them, but they cannot power a condenser mic that requires phantom power.

You're correct that a USBpre2 is just a preamp, not a recorder.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Duconlajoie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
Assuming you want 4 channels or more with at least 4 preamps... ->

Edirol R44, Tascam DR-680, Edirol R-4/Pro

Nagra, Zaxcom and Sound Devices all make high end multichannel recorders as well.
Yes. The three ones are a bit big to record live shows. I am looking for the smallest possible. Other brands are expensive although i really like the NAGRA VI, nice one.

Do you have specific mics in mind to run with this machine?

Also, to clarify, the responses to your question, which I assume is what you wanted, refer to recorders that provide 48 volt phantom power.  All recorders have preamps in them, but they cannot power a condenser mic that requires phantom power.

You're correct that a USBpre2 is just a preamp, not a recorder.
Yes, two sets of mics like CA-11 or 14/SP-CMC-4 or 8, later one pair of Berliner CM-33 (just because I heard one recording and found it very good but i'am a newbie). For this last kind of mics (AKG, schoeps or other saw in different signature's members) I don't know what I need for power and preampli. But I guess they need phantom power. My education on that subject is at the beginning. I want to record simultaneously 4 tracks, was thinking about the DR-2d but will need 2x 9200/tinybox or a 4 channel preampli (another subject to go into detail). Unless I built a DIY preampli !!

I want to face a lot of situations with one device, small, light .... and good enough to make a good work.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 04:32:43 PM »
Tascam makes several all-in-one units:  http://tascam.com/products/field_recorder/
I have a Tascam HD-P2.  http://tascam.com/product/hd-p2/

Marantz also makes several units:  http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=3507

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:35:50 PM »
Yes, two sets of mics like CA-11 or 14/SP-CMC-4 or 8, later one pair of Berliner CM-33 (just because I heard one recording and found it very good but i'am a newbie). For this last kind of mics (AKG, schoeps or other saw in different signature's members) I don't know what I need for power and preampli. But I guess they need phantom power. My education on that subject is at the beginning. I want to record simultaneously 4 tracks, was thinking about the DR-2d but will need 2x 9200/tinybox or a 4 channel preampli (another subject to go into detail). Unless I built a DIY preampli !!

I want to face a lot of situations with one device, small, light .... and good enough to make a good work.

Of the mics you mentioned, only one (the Berliners) requires phantom power.  To use CA-11s or the SP (actually Audio Technica) mics you mentioned in a 4-channel setup, you'd need the small, light Tascam DR-2D and a couple small battery boxes, or Chris Church can design a custom 4-channel one.  Such a setup is thousands less than the other things you're talking about. 

If you are that new to taping, what is motivating you to want to play with 4-channel?  It makes it a LOT more complicated to record shows (it's definitely more than twice the work of a two-channel recording) and really, I think it's overkill to run 4 mics in a lot of situations unless there is a specific need for more than one pattern.  More common would be running 2 mics + SBD - which again can be done with the DR-2D.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Duconlajoie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
Can the PM661 record 2 stereo tracks at the same time? What I saw tells me no. It seems to be a great device with phantom power and preamp for a small size and robust. The 671 is too big as the tascam.

I saw in a thread something about a custom preampli from chris church and guess it's possible to do something like i want, from him or from naint. I have in mind some particular features I desire but will they want? Chris didn't seem to speak about the technical feature of his devices. But this is another story.

My motivation is to make surround records.

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 06:21:51 PM »
Chris Church does custom versions of his mics that can be powered on plugin power (so does guysonic, but at a higher cost).
This way, you could run CA-11 > M10 straight, or if you need four track CA-11 (+ second set of mics?) >DR-2d.

Haven't seen H4n mentioned in this thread, but it's inferior to the D-100 according to most users here.

Check out gutbucket's posts in the DR-2d thread if you're interested in doing surround. He's got some crazy gear going...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
For the mics you're wanting to use, I would suggest the Tascam DR-2D. I've never used this recorder but most people seem to like it and it would be useful for your four channel mics.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 09:31:02 PM »
Not 4 channel, but the Fostex FR2-LE is a nice all-in-one.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:57 AM »
From the top:-

The mic. pre-amps on the Nagra and AETA are superb.

The SD is a step down but still excellent.

Then there really is a big step down, but the ones I mentioned are all top of the class in their price bracket.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:15:17 AM by John Willett »

Offline Duconlajoie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
Thanks sunjan for these informations (others too).
I've seen the H4n but forget to mention it. Like the PM661 it seems to be not able to record 2 stereo tracks.

Then there really is a big step down, but the ones I mentioned are all top of the class in their price bracket.

So between your last and the DR-2d, there's nothing with 4 tracks recording with preamp. Do i understand well ?

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 04:05:27 AM »
I've seen the H4n but forget to mention it. Like the PM661 it seems to be not able to record 2 stereo tracks.
This is incorrect, the H4n does four channels with the latest firmware update (although with unimpressive quality):
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/369147-zoom-h4n-recording-4-tracks-simultaneously-2.html#post6197986

For an exhaustive list, one could also mention the following, although they are hardly "the smallest possible" as the OP put it:
Zoom R series (R8, R16...)
Tascam DP series (DP-004, DP-008)
Tascam HS-P82
Zaxcom (Nomad/Fusion/Deva in various flavors)
Sonosax (MINIR82/SX-R4/SX62R)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:08:08 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:41 AM »
Sorry for this newbie query, apart from the SD 702 (expensive even in second hand), is there other devices allin one on the market? With four tracks that would be great.

Actually, the 702 is only 2 tracks.  It's the 744 that has 4 tracks.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 05:44:59 AM »
Thanks sunjan for these informations (others too).

So between your last and the DR-2d, there's nothing with 4 tracks recording with preamp. Do i understand well ?

I didn't say there were not others - just that the R-44 or the DR-680 is the lowest I would go for a 4-track.

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 05:54:43 AM »
Agree on the Tascam recc- also on 4 chan post work.  I do it, 2 sets of mics, but rarely and for a specific purpose,club.  Run stage lip, then further back in the sweet spot.  Which is a really nice way to capture a show (2 completely diff setups/recorders ect).  Also suggest alot more reading and nothing "wrong" with the mics you mentioned, but just seems silly to put alot of money in a higher end 4 chanel device with lower level mics. Seems kinda backwards...But if thats your route i'd def go for the DR-2D
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

Offline Duconlajoie

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 07:06:22 AM »
Thanks to correct my mistakes and to give advices, a lot of searches to do. It's clear that the whole set of equipment must be consistent.

Offline paulbaptiste

• Trade Count: (50)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • in that sweet bye and bye
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »
there is more information on this site, and amongst the people here to measure, absorb.  I actually always amazed at how nice and helpful most people are with new/beginner questions.  People used to write "SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND".  not a very kind welcome.  So ask away, just saying do your research for your own benefit, you'll find threads and threads and threads on all the recorders people use here, mics also, more info than you want to know.  And you'll notice ALOT of the same gear be it preamps, rec's, microphones, common amongst the users as you were saying with it needing to be "consistent"--- Which is a good sign of how well they work together.  And listen to mics/pre/recorder combos on the archive, and listen and listen and listen. And I haven't met the guy who bought exactly what he wanted;same rec/same mics/ never switched or upgraded.  But i do wish you the best on the learning curve.  and welcome to the wonderful expensive addictive always wanting more world of taping, as they say; check your wallet at the door  ;D
Official Archivist for The Felice Brothers and contact for guestlist/taper spots
Please contact me regarding upcoming shows as well as recordings for the bands archive
robertsnw@yahoo.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com