Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD 702 vs everything else...  (Read 14084 times)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SD 702 vs everything else...
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
Guessing the drives in the 7xx decks are hard-disk and not solid-state?  With no moving parts, putting in an SSD would increase reliability and lower the chance of a crash. 

Go right ahead.  But SSD drives are less reliable in all but unusual vibration/impact situations.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 11:50:41 PM »
Guessing the drives in the 7xx decks are hard-disk and not solid-state?  With no moving parts, putting in an SSD would increase reliability and lower the chance of a crash. 

Go right ahead.  But SSD drives are less reliable in all but unusual vibration/impact situations.

correct, plus, the SSDs have been shown to pull more power to operate versus a slow rotation drive. I thought about doing just this when I changed the drive this year and decided to keep a traditional hdd.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline moooose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 03:31:17 AM »

That is not true; the 702 will record to an external FW HD without an external power supply.  First, this is what Sound Devices says on the subject:

"FireWire Bus Powering
The six-pin FireWire port on the 702 provides power for bus-powered FireWire drives. The following conditions should be observed when connecting to bus-powered drives.
•  Bus powering a drive requires external DC powering of the 702. The 702 cannot operate buspowered drives from an attached Li-ion battery.
SNIP
I realize SD says "the 702 cannot operate buspowered drives from an attached Li-ion battery," but it works. 

That's surprising. I tried it and it didn't work.   ???

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com