Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Pres on Portable Recorders?  (Read 13460 times)

Offline TAlderson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Best Pres on Portable Recorders?
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:33:42 PM »
I know this is like asking who the best player is in the minor leagues, but does anyone know/have an opinion on the portable digital recorder/field recorder with the best mic preamps? I've never found internal mic quality or number of xlr vs 1/8" jacks or 48 vs 96 khz or any of those usual hangups to be a problem, since I usually use just one external mic and it's mostly for personal use (some student radio use as well- but it's student radio), but the preamps on my DR-07 (bought about a year and a half ago) can get a bit noisy/buzzy (I record a lot of interviews and classical music, among many other things, both of which can get quite soft). I'm not really looking to buy per se, as I am pretty satisfied with what I've got, but if I could get a much better sound for a couple hundred bucks, I might bite. I know I could use an external preamp, but that would sacrifice the portability that I love about the whole field recorder thing in the first place.

Anyway, any thoughts?

-Tyler

EDIT: Just so you know, I'm usually either using a set of Sound Professional SP-TFB-02 in-ear binaurals, or an Audio Technica ATM10a w/internal battery for power.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:37:25 PM by TAlderson »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best Pres on Portable Recorders?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 05:58:31 PM »
The Sony M10 has a better internal pre than just about any other hand-held recorder out there.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:05:47 PM »
The best mic. pres. IMHO are on the Nagra VI - the new EMP has the same mic. pres. as the Nagra VI.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:50:22 PM »
The best mic. pres. IMHO are on the Nagra VI - the new EMP has the same mic. pres. as the Nagra VI.

And it's portable.  ;D
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »

And it's portable.  ;D

Yes - of course it is, it's a battery powered location recorder.  ;D

The EMP is much smaller and has a built-in recorder (only 16-bit, though).   ;D

Well - the OP didn't say a budget, he only said "Re: Best Pres on Portable Recorders?"  ;D

Offline TAlderson

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »
While that does sound like a nice preamp/recorder, it does fall outside of my stated budget of a couple hundred dollars... The problems of being a student.

I've heard good things here and elsewhere about the M10, I think I'll listen to some samples to check it out...

-Tyler

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:24:49 PM »

I'm finding it hard to get info on the EMP, some places say it gets 4 hours from 4 AAs, some 8 hours.  Size, weight?

Jeff

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »

I'm finding it hard to get info on the EMP, some places say it gets 4 hours from 4 AAs, some 8 hours.  Size, weight?

Jeff

The following is copy/pasted from a scanned pdf of the info. sheet I picked up in Frankfurt in May.

I hope it answers your questions (I really hope it does, it has taken me over half an hour to post this).

NAGRA EMP portable dual microphone pre-amplifier

The Nagra-EMP is a custom built external stereo microphone preamplifier. Using principally the same electronic schematic as the renowned preamplifiers of the Nagra Vl, it runs of 4 AA batteries. Equipped with a small built-in audio recorder, this extremely high quality preamplifier can be used in numerous different situations.

The Nagra-EMP is a stereo / 2 channel portable preamplifier designed for classical music and film / TV location recording. An 16-bit solid-state 2-track digital audio recorder is built-in (2 GB memory). lt is designed and built as an "on-location" recorder with the traditional Nagra ruggedness. All controls as audio limilers, filters, Phantom power, record are controlled lrom the front.

The front panel, chassis and features were all designed using the experience of previous NAGRA recorders which render the Nagra-EMP to very user-friendly and comfortable to operate even in harsh environmental conditions. lt is powered by a 4 AA cells. The autonomy without recording is approximalely 4 hours (No Phantom, no record). lt is equipped with one Hirose connector allowing external power.

The Nagra EMP has two analogue inputs on XLR connectors, equipped with extremely high quality microphone pre-amplifiers. They include, as one expects, +48 V phantom powering and in-house wound NAGRA transformers offering an improvement of +6 dB in the noise floor when set to the 2 mV/Pa (for dynamic microphones) position.

Equipped with a low cut filter as well as a Vortex filter and limiters.

Technical specifications

lnputs
Analogue inputs.................................. 2 x symmetrical XLR Microphone (Dynamic, +48V Phantom)
Microphone input sensitivity................. 2.8, 10 and 30 mV/Pa selectable
Limiters............................................. Selectable on microphone inputs, individual or in pairs.  Active at -9.5dBFS, max +40dB for -2 dBFS
THD at 1 kHz..................................... <0.15 % Mic, <0.01% line
Frequency response............................ 10Hz - 48k + 0.5 dB
lnput noise with condenser mic............. 0.88 uV (-119 dBm)
lnput noise with dynamic mic............... 4 dB (measured ASA "A" loaded 200Ω)
Signal-to-noise ratio........................... >114 dB
lnput level adjustment range................ 50 dB Mic
lnput filters........................................ LFA (with vortex filtering), Low cut
External power................................... Hirose 4 pin connector (9 to 13 V, 3.5W)

Outputs
Analogue line output........................... 2 x XLR 4.4Y max., selectable 0 dBm, +6 dBm or +15 dBm
Headphones....................................... Stereo 6.3mm (¼") Jack 50Ω

Recorder
File type............................................ PCM BWF or MPEG 1 L ll, 16 bit, 32 to 48 kHz, Stereo / Mono
Memory size...................................... 2 GB (corresponds to 2h 53min in PCM BWF 48kHz stereo)

Other
USB Host.......................................... USB 2.0 connector type "mini USB"

General
Dimensions....................................... 190 x 50 x 175 mm (W x H x D) / 7.5 x 2 x 6.9"(W x H x D)
Weight............................................. 1 Kg (2.2lbs), including batteries
Power supply.................................... 4 Dry cells / NimH cells "AA" type or external 9 - 13V
External power consumption............... Approximately 2.8 W (2 Phantom mic. & record) 
Battery consumption.......................... Approximately 2.6 W (2 Phantom mic. & record) / Approximately 1.5 W at 6 V (no Phantom, no record)
Battery autonomy.............................. Approximately 2 hours (2 Phantom mic. & record) / Approximately 4 hours (no Phantom, no record)
Relative humidity............................... From 10% to 99% (non condensing)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:25:16 PM by John Willett »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 03:37:09 PM »
I bet that sounds great.  I wonder how it handles transport controls for the recorder since there appears to be no recorder interface on the front panel.

What is a Vortex filter? sounds psychedelic.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »
Nagra have just put details of the EMP up on their website HERE8)

You can also download the user manual if you want to know more.  You go to the Pro Section - Support and select "Nagra EMP".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:47:33 PM by John Willett »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 03:54:12 PM »
I bet that sounds great.  I wonder how it handles transport controls for the recorder since there appears to be no recorder interface on the front panel.

You can read the manual - it's downloadable from the Nagra website.

What is a Vortex filter? sounds psychedelic.

Quote from the manual:-

"The Vortex filter specifically designed to give ultimate protection against wind / boom microphone noise. This filter is designed to allow the Nagra EMP to be used in the most difficult conditions on location.

The input filter on the Nagra EMP is a hardware filter and is therefore not software programmable. The reason for this choice is simple. A software programmable filter is a digital filter in the heart of the digital part of the audio chain. Wind noise coming into the preamplifier will already have done its distortion and overloading directly in the preamplifier long before it gets to the digital filtering stage. The filters in the Nagra EMP roll off -3 dB at 150 Hz and then at 12 dB per octave. If an alternative curve is required, then provision is made on the input circuit board to add capacitors accordingly and the necessary values can be supplied if necessary.

The low cut filter roll off -3 dB at approximately 60 Hz."

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:27:33 PM »
Interesting thanks.

Although their justification for implementing the input filter in the analog input stage as 'hardware' is well founded and I think we would all agree it's the best choice, they could of course still switch that via software if they chose to.  Though I don't see a reason why software switching of it would be needed , and sort of wonder why they make a hollow excuse for not doing so. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 06:17:08 PM »
In this day and age why would they produce a new device with a 16 bit A/D ?  That just makes no sense to me.
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline George2

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »
GOOD NEWS Nagra says 24bit for the EMP on their website.

http://www.nagraaudio.com/pro/pages/products_nagra_EMP.php
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
They wouldn't.  MPEG is 16 bit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com