Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam HdP2 for wildlife  (Read 3510 times)

Offline mackersau

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Tascam HdP2 for wildlife
« on: September 13, 2011, 06:27:43 AM »
G'Day,

I have just begun using a HDP2 for wildlife recording with an ME 66 mic and am struggling with the setting recording levels and proper project settings.  I am much better a field naturalist than a recorder at this point but am keen to learn.  Can anyone offer some advice about how to set up this machine and projects for field conditions?

Cheers,

Roger

Offline dude2010

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: Tascam HdP2 for wildlife
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:52 PM »
I can say that I own the HD-P2 also for fieldrecording, and use AKG c1000s and Shure 109A, with both of them, I have the preamp maxed out completely - and that do make some hiss noise - or it makes too much! :(
How is yours there?
Yes, might be the wrong mics for the job, but it's brand new to me, and got it with the mics, so surely up for suggestions!

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:00:13 AM »
For nature recording, I would want the Oade mods on the unit that reduce the preamp noise.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:09:51 AM »
G'Day,

I have just begun using a HDP2 for wildlife recording with an ME 66 mic and am struggling with the setting recording levels and proper project settings.  I am much better a field naturalist than a recorder at this point but am keen to learn.  Can anyone offer some advice about how to set up this machine and projects for field conditions?

Hi Roger, welcome to the forum.

It should be straightforward as the K6 has a good output level.

Make sure you have the phantom power on on the Tascam and you don't then need a battery in the K6.

This mic. is often used by wildlife recordists.

I think you will find it useful to contact the WSRS - Wildlife Sound Recording Society.  There is a lot of useful information on their website and they are very experienced and helpful people.

Membership is only £29 a year for the UK and EU and £39 a year anywhere else - a bargain really.

Offline dude2010

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 04:44:08 AM »
For nature recording, I would want the Oade mods on the unit that reduce the preamp noise.

The Oade mod yes :) But sending the unit back and forth from europe, is priced the same as a whole new unit.. Anyone knows where the op-amps and caps he replaces sits?

Offline AB52

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:31:29 AM »
Good question.  Maybe email Oade and if you are lucky they may have some advice.  http://www.oade.com/
I used the Oade mod version for nature recording and jazz recordings, and it excelled at both.

The Oade mod yes :) But sending the unit back and forth from europe, is priced the same as a whole new unit.. Anyone knows where the op-amps and caps he replaces sits?

Offline mackersau

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:00:32 AM »
Thanks all,

John, is there any value in running the phantom power with a battery in the mic, or is this just redundant?

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 11:40:39 AM »
The ME66-K6 battery should be off when running on phantom power.  When run on the K6 battery, the ME series mics make a little more self noise than when run on 48V.  You'll be able to hear the difference in a quiet wildlife recording.

Flintstone

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:57:43 AM »
Thanks all,

John, is there any value in running the phantom power with a battery in the mic, or is this just redundant?

Flintstone said it above.

Leave the K6 switched *off* so ot will work on phantom and not the battery.  As he said, it works slighty better on phantom.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com