Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09HR or Sony M10?  (Read 8193 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: R-09HR or Sony M10?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 04:36:03 PM »
Just a heads up.. seems like a lot of comparisons here to the original R-09 instead of the newer HR version the OP specified.

Apples, oranges and applesauce..
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline prof_peabody

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Team Houston
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 11:04:43 AM »
Did the line-in jack break on your R-09HR?  I'm starting to have problems with mine (occasional static).

I have an Edirol , Zoom H2 and Sony M10.   The Edirol is on it's last legs (Line in jack broken).  Sony is relatively new.  When using Internals, which I've done many times, my order of preference is;

1. Zoom
2. Edirol
3. Sony

It isn't even close, in my opinion.

When using Line In from either soundboard or Mics > Battery Box/Pre-Amp,   the Sony wins hands down.

Interestingly, at a low level acoustic show at the week-end, I went CSB > Battery Box > M10 Mic In and the result was a superb recording.  Definitely in my top 5 ever.  I think this says a lot for the Sony design.  Excellent machine.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
Occasional static sounds like a dirty jack or plug.  Jack failure on the R-09 usually manifests intermitant signal or none at all.

Try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner or denatured alcohol.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »
Occasional static sounds like a dirty jack or plug.  Jack failure on the R-09 usually manifests intermitant signal or none at all.

I'll give it a shot tonight.  I tend to get some static a lose a channel is mild pressure is put on the input jack.  I'm almost wondering if the contacts in the female side have lost some of their spring?  BTW - it's an R-09HR... probably doesn't make much difference.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:11 PM »

I agree-very likely not a jack failure.

from guysonic's site (he prefers isopropyl alcohol):
Clean & recondition noisy mic. jacks with 91 - 99% pure isopropyl alcohol.  Repeatedly insert a headphone type plug soaked to the point of dripping (filling the alcohol bottle cap and dipping only the metal part of the mini-plug works well) into the mic jack until any connection noise disappears.  Monitor the progress with a set of headphones while the deck is in a record function.  Rotating the microphones plug should not produce audible noise with cleaned and conditioned contacts.   Applying a contact conditioner to already cleaned plug and jack metal parts
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:19:39 AM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33:18 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 06:34:02 PM »
Thanks for the correction. Isopropyl is what is recommended.  I just use denatured because I have it around at work and it seems to do the job. Use Isopropyl if you have it, stronger the better.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 08:31:42 PM »
Thanks for the correction. Isopropyl is what is recommended.  I just use denatured because I have it around at work and it seems to do the job. Use Isopropyl if you have it, stronger the better.

Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol did the trick.  Thanks everyone.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com