Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: church mics  (Read 6690 times)

Offline tyler1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
church mics
« on: March 02, 2012, 03:52:27 PM »
can any of Chris mics be used with out battery box/pre amp, i have a pair of  cafs and wondering  if it will over load or not

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: church mics
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »
With any battery box/preamp that provides 9 volts.  Most of the Sound Pros battboxes and all of Chris' are 9V.   All of Chris' pres are 9V.

Obviously, you should not connect Church Audio mics to a pre that puts out 48V phantom power. 

If you have some desire to do so, you need the Naiant PFA.  www.naiant.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »
can any of Chris mics be used with out battery box/pre amp, i have a pair of  cafs and wondering  if it will over load or not

I'm not sure about the CAFS but you can run the -14s off a recorder that provides 9v PIP.  I ran the -14 cards onstage direct into an M10 with alright results.  It was pretty loud and they didn't seem to have too much trouble with it.

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:11:57 PM »

I'm not sure about the CAFS but you can run the -14s off a recorder that provides 9v PIP.  I ran the -14 cards onstage direct into an M10 with alright results.  It was pretty loud and they didn't seem to have too much trouble with it.

I'm pretty sure the M10 doesn't provide 9v PIP. It's probably more like 4-5v, of course I've never measured it or seen a spec. Historically, most of the 'best' handheld recorders in terms of powering mics via PIP have provided essentially an extra 1-1.5v. I've never heard of a handheld providing more than about 5v.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »

I'm pretty sure the M10 doesn't provide 9v PIP. It's probably more like 4-5v, of course I've never measured it or seen a spec. Historically, most of the 'best' handheld recorders in terms of powering mics via PIP have provided essentially an extra 1-1.5v. I've never heard of a handheld providing more than about 5v.

I think you're right.  I was second guessing myself but said it anyway.  I believe (but probably don't quote me) that Chris has said that the -14s can run off of as little as 6v and be okay, which is probably why some PIP recorders are fine.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »
I do believe you can run his ca-11's off of the marantz 620. That has been used here with success I recall.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline monkeyguy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 04:55:50 AM »
Ive run CA-14 cards multiple times straight into MIC IN on the M10 never had any problems...
most have been loud sources...did a stack recording taping Marilyn Manson and close to stacks doing slipknot and was still about 3-5 on the sonys levels

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 06:42:40 AM »
I've run the CA-11s mic in with both R09 and R09HR with pleasing results (to me, anyhow).
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
Can't remember for sure, but I think PIP on the Sony M10 could be as low as 3.5v.  You can run Chris Church's mics off plug-in power but you have a very distinct risk of overloading and brickwalling your recordings at high SPL.  Don't know how you were able to stack tape MM and Slipknot off PIP without distorting the hell out of your recordings, monkeyguy, but I think Lady Luck must've been sitting on your shoulder. ;D

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »
Can't remember for sure, but I think PIP on the Sony M10 could be as low as 3.5v.  You can run Chris Church's mics off plug-in power but you have a very distinct risk of overloading and brickwalling your recordings at high SPL.  Don't know how you were able to stack tape MM and Slipknot off PIP without distorting the hell out of your recordings, monkeyguy, but I think Lady Luck must've been sitting on your shoulder. ;D
Some situations there will be no issues but again its impossible to say when that is so I always recommend using a battery box to be on the safe side.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Redrock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:07:51 PM »
Any more reports (good or bad) using CA-14s on M10's with just the SONY Plug In Power? If I can eliminate a battery box for sake of size and simplicity I'd like to. Thanks
2015 Shows: Southern Soul Assembly, Ed Kowalczyk, NMO, Lukas Nelson, Los Lonely Boys, Chris Isaak, Ben Harper, Mark Knoplfer, Carbon Leaf. . .

adrianf74

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 06:51:25 PM »
Any more reports (good or bad) using CA-14s on M10's with just the SONY Plug In Power? If I can eliminate a battery box for sake of size and simplicity I'd like to. Thanks

Again, this issue has been discussed considerably in these parts to the point of beating a dead horse.

Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean it's the BEST thing to do.  So, yeah, you could likely get away with it more often than not but what happens that one time when the show you're at is TOO loud and overloads your mics and your recording is distorted to hell?  And that was the show where something magical happened?  To know for certain, why not take your mics to a club show you don't really care about and try it a few times.

Personally, I'd never run that risk.  A battery box (especially if it's something like a CA-Ugly Battery Box) shouldn't be "too much" to bring with you.  I mean, I remember the days of bringing in a TCD-D7 with Core Sound Binaurals (and that battery box) or a WMD-D3 analog recordable walkman.  A digital recorder a pair of CA mics and a battery box is *NOTHING*.  Even bringing in a 9100 preamp or an Ugly Preamp is pretty minimal... I just wouldn't risk it.  EVER.

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:22:31 AM »
It's getting to the point people want to bring in nothing and get a recording of the show. The post above is spot on. You have to be willing to haul in some gear to get the kind of results you desire from a recording.  Being minimalistic in this hobby isn't the best way to go, IMHO.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »
Agreed and well stated, Adrian.  For the relatively tiny footprint and small outlay of cash ($50-60) that a battery box requires, it seems like a no-brainer.  Especially when it could mean the difference between a great recording and an unlistenable one.

Offline Redrock

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 01:45:55 PM »
Loud and clear. I have CS Stealthys with battery box so I'm not affraid of a little bulk or $. If my CA-14's get here by 5/2 for the Black Keys I may try using just PIP as I don't have a BB for them yet. Or, I may use my "old" set up.
2015 Shows: Southern Soul Assembly, Ed Kowalczyk, NMO, Lukas Nelson, Los Lonely Boys, Chris Isaak, Ben Harper, Mark Knoplfer, Carbon Leaf. . .

adrianf74

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
Loud and clear. I have CS Stealthys with battery box so I'm not affraid of a little bulk or $. If my CA-14's get here by 5/2 for the Black Keys I may try using just PIP as I don't have a BB for them yet. Or, I may use my "old" set up.

@Redrock: IMHO, "loud and clear" would always require the use of a battery box.  I'd talk to Chris and find out about getting a CA-Ugly from him... or look for a used battery box on here.   I know acidjack has a 12V SoundPros model for US$30 shipped in the Yard and Chris told me that 12V is fine for the CA-14 omnis and cards (DPA and Chris have advised against using the 12V with mics like the 4061s or the CAFS omnis).   That said, if you're pressed for time, you can travel pretty light with the CA-14's and the 12V battery box and not have to worry about the bulk of the CS one.  Besides, I'm not a huge fan of CS mics (have owned them in the past but there are many other BETTER and CHEAPER options out there).

@Fried Chicken Boy and @Belexes: Thanks guys.  I don't see an M10, Battery Box (especially a CA-Ugly BB) and a small pair of mics as anything difficult to "take with."  Trust me, anyone who knows me knows that I like to travel light (be it going on vacation, moving or a show).  That's about as minimalistic as it gets.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »

Again, this issue has been discussed considerably in these parts to the point of beating a dead horse.

Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean it's the BEST thing to do.  So, yeah, you could likely get away with it more often than not but what happens that one time when the show you're at is TOO loud and overloads your mics and your recording is distorted to hell?  And that was the show where something magical happened?  To know for certain, why not take your mics to a club show you don't really care about and try it a few times.

Personally, I'd never run that risk.  A battery box (especially if it's something like a CA-Ugly Battery Box) shouldn't be "too much" to bring with you.  I mean, I remember the days of bringing in a TCD-D7 with Core Sound Binaurals (and that battery box) or a WMD-D3 analog recordable walkman.  A digital recorder a pair of CA mics and a battery box is *NOTHING*.  Even bringing in a 9100 preamp or an Ugly Preamp is pretty minimal... I just wouldn't risk it.  EVER.

I agree.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »

I agree.

Same here.  I would never consider going straight from CA-14s into the M10.  I always go mics>ugly>(line in) m10
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com