Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: church mics  (Read 6689 times)

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: church mics
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 01:54:49 PM »
Loud and clear. I have CS Stealthys with battery box so I'm not affraid of a little bulk or $. If my CA-14's get here by 5/2 for the Black Keys I may try using just PIP as I don't have a BB for them yet. Or, I may use my "old" set up.

@Redrock: IMHO, "loud and clear" would always require the use of a battery box.  I'd talk to Chris and find out about getting a CA-Ugly from him... or look for a used battery box on here.   I know acidjack has a 12V SoundPros model for US$30 shipped in the Yard and Chris told me that 12V is fine for the CA-14 omnis and cards (DPA and Chris have advised against using the 12V with mics like the 4061s or the CAFS omnis).   That said, if you're pressed for time, you can travel pretty light with the CA-14's and the 12V battery box and not have to worry about the bulk of the CS one.  Besides, I'm not a huge fan of CS mics (have owned them in the past but there are many other BETTER and CHEAPER options out there).

@Fried Chicken Boy and @Belexes: Thanks guys.  I don't see an M10, Battery Box (especially a CA-Ugly BB) and a small pair of mics as anything difficult to "take with."  Trust me, anyone who knows me knows that I like to travel light (be it going on vacation, moving or a show).  That's about as minimalistic as it gets.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »
Any more reports (good or bad) using CA-14s on M10's with just the SONY Plug In Power? If I can eliminate a battery box for sake of size and simplicity I'd like to. Thanks

Again, this issue has been discussed considerably in these parts to the point of beating a dead horse.

Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean it's the BEST thing to do.  So, yeah, you could likely get away with it more often than not but what happens that one time when the show you're at is TOO loud and overloads your mics and your recording is distorted to hell?  And that was the show where something magical happened?  To know for certain, why not take your mics to a club show you don't really care about and try it a few times.

Personally, I'd never run that risk.  A battery box (especially if it's something like a CA-Ugly Battery Box) shouldn't be "too much" to bring with you.  I mean, I remember the days of bringing in a TCD-D7 with Core Sound Binaurals (and that battery box) or a WMD-D3 analog recordable walkman.  A digital recorder a pair of CA mics and a battery box is *NOTHING*.  Even bringing in a 9100 preamp or an Ugly Preamp is pretty minimal... I just wouldn't risk it.  EVER.

I agree.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 03:12:17 PM »
Any more reports (good or bad) using CA-14s on M10's with just the SONY Plug In Power? If I can eliminate a battery box for sake of size and simplicity I'd like to. Thanks

Again, this issue has been discussed considerably in these parts to the point of beating a dead horse.

Just because YOU can do something doesn't mean it's the BEST thing to do.  So, yeah, you could likely get away with it more often than not but what happens that one time when the show you're at is TOO loud and overloads your mics and your recording is distorted to hell?  And that was the show where something magical happened?  To know for certain, why not take your mics to a club show you don't really care about and try it a few times.

Personally, I'd never run that risk.  A battery box (especially if it's something like a CA-Ugly Battery Box) shouldn't be "too much" to bring with you.  I mean, I remember the days of bringing in a TCD-D7 with Core Sound Binaurals (and that battery box) or a WMD-D3 analog recordable walkman.  A digital recorder a pair of CA mics and a battery box is *NOTHING*.  Even bringing in a 9100 preamp or an Ugly Preamp is pretty minimal... I just wouldn't risk it.  EVER.

I agree.

Same here.  I would never consider going straight from CA-14s into the M10.  I always go mics>ugly>(line in) m10
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com