Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What makes a Sony Pcm m10 cost $300 versus an Olympus Ls-7 ?  (Read 6831 times)

Offline waloshin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
What makes a Sony Pcm m10 cost $300 versus an Olympus Ls-7 ?
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
I do own a PCM m10 ,but I was curious what makes it better than a cheaper recorder like th Ls-7 to justify the cost?

Offline Drgiggles1

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: What makes a Sony Pcm m10 cost $300 versus an Olympus Ls-7 ?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »
@ B & H for $229 and free shipping available in red, white, or black http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sony+pcmm10&N=0&InitialSearch=yes
Mics: CA-14 (o,c,o)
Remote Power: CA-9100 pre-amp, CA-UBB battery box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d
Cable/s: custom 6" GAKables Mini Starquad
Batteries: Maha 9.6V Imedion, Maha Powerex 2700 mAh
Chargers: Maha MH-C9000, MAHA MH-C490F 9 Volt

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 11:29:28 PM »
@ B & H for $229 and free shipping available in red, white, or black http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=sony+pcmm10&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

We love the M10 for a few reasons. One it's preamps are very nice. Two, the battery life is amazing with 15 hours on two AAs. Three, it's built solid. Haven't used the Olympus, but those are the things you will hear time and time again from us M10 owners.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 02:24:09 AM »

We love the M10 for a few reasons. One it's preamps are very nice. Two, the battery life is amazing with 15 hours on two AAs. Three, it's built solid. Haven't used the Olympus, but those are the things you will hear time and time again from us M10 owners.

You gave up too early! I've gone well over 50 hrs on a set of lithiums more than once. No PIP, line in, but whoa on battery life!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline TimeBandit

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 03:29:41 AM »
built quality
internal circuits
internal preamps
quality of the housing
"Its a Sony"  ::)

But now the official price dropped to around 250 Dollars, here in the EU 230 Euros, you´ll better deal with that ;)
2015 rig: CA-11 -> CA-9100 -> PCM-M10
2016 rig: Sony PCM-M10 + SP-SPSB-4 microphone plug-in power supply +  SP-CMC8 with Low Sens mod
[backup: CA-9100 - Tascam DR-05 Firmware 2.0 + Yamaha Pocketrak W24]
video 2016: Casio EX-100 HS (same as Olympus Stylus1 - but much smaller - japan import not availiable in EU)

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 03:37:54 AM »

You gave up too early! I've gone well over 50 hrs on a set of lithiums more than once. No PIP, line in, but whoa on battery life!

I've been cocky and have the deck die during a gig. missed two songs because I pushed it. Swap rechargables every show.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline flintstone

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »
The Sony PCM-M10 is generally regarded as superior to the Olympus LS-7 (better mics, quieter preamp, longer battery life).  The LS-7 can be found for less than $150, the M10 around $225. 

The LS-7 does have one feature that is very useful a particular set of customers:  The ability to play back and record unattended, based on its internal clock.

Unattended audio surveys are a standard feature of research by wildlife biologists.  Sometimes the presence or absence of a particular bird, bat or amphibian species plays a key role in the decision to permit development of a wilderness area.   Unattended recording is preferred because it removes the chance that the presence of a human operator will affect the vocalizations of the target species.  And unattended recording allows biologists to get a good night's sleep, instead of sitting outside in the cold, waiting for the time to switch on the recorder.

For example, audio surveys are a standard way to discover what frogs are present.  "Froglogger" recorders are expensive, and designs for homebrew solutions are often closely guarded secrets.

The LS-7 changes all this.  It has the ability to set three recording times daily for a specified duration.  If the researcher wants to provide a stimulus, the LS-7 can also play back at preset times.  For example, you might want to play a pre-recorded owl call for a minute, then start recording for 10 minutes to capture response calls.

The unattended recording feature is also useful for capturing a lecture.  Just hand the recorder to a colleague who will attend the event.  The recorder will start recording at the pre-set time without further action.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »

The LS-7 does have one feature that is very useful a particular set of customers:  The ability to play back and record unattended, based on its internal clock.

That has to be my favorite post of the whole year.
That's great stuff!

thanks!
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline waloshin

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:23:29 AM »
The Sony PCM-M10 is generally regarded as superior to the Olympus LS-7 (better mics, quieter preamp, longer battery life).  The LS-7 can be found for less than $150, the M10 around $225. 

Unattended audio surveys are a standard feature of research by wildlife biologists.  Sometimes the presence or absence of a particular bird, bat or amphibian species plays a key role in the decision to permit development of a wilderness area.   Unattended recording is preferred because it removes the chance that the presence of a human operator will affect the vocalizations of the target species.  And unattended recording allows biologists to get a good night's sleep, instead of sitting outside in the cold, waiting for the time to switch on the recorder.

For example, audio surveys are a standard way to discover what frogs are present.  "Froglogger" recorders are expensive, and designs for homebrew solutions are often closely guarded secrets.

The LS-7 changes all this.  It has the ability to set three recording times daily for a specified duration.  If the researcher wants to provide a stimulus, the LS-7 can also play back at preset times.  For example, you might want to play a pre-recorded owl call for a minute, then start recording for 10 minutes to capture response calls.

The unattended recording feature is also useful for capturing a lecture.  Just hand the recorder to a colleague who will attend the event.  The recorder will start recording at the pre-set time without further action.

Where would you put the recorder so water/dust doesn't destroy it? Just wondering are there cases for that?

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
Another plus for the M10 is that it can handle pretty hot signals on either input...I am not even sure if the LS-7 has a line level input?

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 08:31:12 PM »
Another plus for the M10 is that it can handle pretty hot signals on either input...I am not even sure if the LS-7 has a line level input?

I looked through the manual and didn't find anything about a line input. For me, that would be a deal-killer.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline azin david

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 04:05:34 AM »
Hello,
I have the Sony PCM-M10 and the Olympus LS-3 (LS-3 in Europe = LS-7).
The Sony M10 is best in the bass.
The LS-3 remains in the treble, it is also less good in function Auto-Rec by overtaking of 0db.

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com