Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 116839 times)

Offline bluewingolive

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2012, 11:29:52 AM »
Hoping for some insight....I've done a bunch of outdoor sets running Wendt X2>M10.  On my first outing I was just dabbling..running the pre hot/cold to see where it was safe to run.  Everything was fine....sets sounded nice.  I was using internal memory.  I picked up a Sandisk 8gig class 4 SDHC card.....then I ran using the micro SD...all my sets are now littered with pops and clicks.  I noticed this on Fri....I ran lower gain for Sat. thinking the Wendt was being finicky...still, same results...pops n; clicks everywhere.  Very frustrated. 

So, my question is this....does writing to the external memory have any play in this....?  I even changed mics on Sat. with the same results. 

Offline George2

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
Did you format the microSD card  with the M-10?
Sennheiser 418s>SDMixPre-D>RO9HR
Beyer MC930>Fostex FM3>NagraSD
Couple of Schoeps CMT441 too.

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2012, 04:29:22 PM »
Did you format the microSD card  with the M-10?

Yep.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »
So, my question is this....does writing to the external memory have any play in this....?

I guess it's possible, but I don't recall hearing about anyone else encountering the problem.  Was the card an eBay special (there are lots of poor quality counterfeits out there)?  Even if not, there are bum cards sometimes.  I would try another card and see if you experience the same thing...

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
So, my question is this....does writing to the external memory have any play in this....?

I guess it's possible, but I don't recall hearing about anyone else encountering the problem.  Was the card an eBay special (there are lots of poor quality counterfeits out there)?  Even if not, there are bum cards sometimes.  I would try another card and see if you experience the same thing...

Not an ebay special...but would a bum card format and be recognized by my PC?  Should I go to a class 6? 

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »
^^^  Some devices are more finicky than others.  I would really try a different card and see if you have the same problem.  A class 4 card (sustained write at 4 MB/s) should be amply fast enough for stereo recording, even at 24/96 (~ 0.55 MB/s)...

For what it's worth, I have been using class 4 cards in my M10 for several years with no issues (mostly at 24/48 but I have made some recordings at 24/96 too).  Also, I think the Memory Stick Micro, Sony's proprietary card, clocks in around 3 MB/s.

Offline bluewingolive

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Sample & Hold
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:25 AM »
^^^  Some devices are more finicky than others.  I would really try a different card and see if you have the same problem.  A class 4 card (sustained write at 4 MB/s) should be amply fast enough for stereo recording, even at 24/96 (~ 0.55 MB/s)...

For what it's worth, I have been using class 4 cards in my M10 for several years with no issues (mostly at 24/48 but I have made some recordings at 24/96 too).  Also, I think the Memory Stick Micro, Sony's proprietary card, clocks in around 3 MB/s.

I think trying another card is the only answer for now...thanks for your feedback.  fwiw I was recording 16/44.1, so, I agree class 4 s/b good enough.

Offline aamefford

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2012, 09:57:40 PM »
I just joined the club.  Musician's Friend had a 15% promo running through today.  I live in CA, so the governor got some of that back, but I still did OK, a rollback to 2011 prices, basically.  Picked up a pair of AT853 card's in the yard sale.  Now I get to try and figure out this new hobby!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #128 on: June 19, 2012, 01:23:47 AM »
I,  too, use AData 32gb Class 4 MicroSDHC Cards with my m10's and so far **knocks on wood** have been great!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #129 on: June 20, 2012, 02:21:53 AM »
I always run class 6 or above
actually I run the transcend class 10's in 
all of my units now, my camera sony nex -5n and my Panasonic HDC-sd600 and my tascam DR-680 including my M-10
and they can handle it all!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »
being that the M10 records / writes at "real time" there is no need to jump the class of the cards up for recording... but the reading after the show, that can help

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2012, 04:16:52 PM »
When using the line out to listen to a recording on my stereo , sometimes when the unit is not in playing mode it makes a lot of noise. The kind of noise when you turn your amplifier to 10 ( any stereo always has noise ) and not in playing mode. Than when I unplug the cable ( offcourse with the speakers off ! ) and plug it in again it's over.
It does the same when I want to make a real time analog copy to a different recorder. And I'm not talking about a bit of noise , it sure is a lot .
Any ideas ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2012, 08:03:28 PM »
When using the line out to listen to a recording on my stereo , sometimes when the unit is not in playing mode it makes a lot of noise. The kind of noise when you turn your amplifier to 10 ( any stereo always has noise ) and not in playing mode. Than when I unplug the cable ( offcourse with the speakers off ! ) and plug it in again it's over.
It does the same when I want to make a real time analog copy to a different recorder. And I'm not talking about a bit of noise , it sure is a lot .
Any ideas ?
I don't care for the A>D converter in the PCM-M10. Move the file to the computer and play it back on a better converter if you can. Sorry for the bad news...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Toke

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2012, 09:06:57 PM »
I've been jacking it in to my car stereo on the way home after a show.  I don't get (or haven't noticed in my noisy Jeep) the noise you describe, but I do get some weird phasing.  I thought my last Wilco recording was hosed till I copied it to my laptop and put on some headphones.  The A>D is great in the M-10.  The D>A seems a little flaky.. Haven't ran any real tests, just anecdotal observation.

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2012, 02:18:43 AM »
Any ideas ?
I don't care for the A>D converter in the PCM-M10. Move the file to the computer and play it back on a better converter if you can. Sorry for the bad news...

I always move the file to the computer . It's just I don't quite trust file transfers since I lost a few in the past with my HI MD recorders . Since than I always make a analog copy before hand. Better an analog copy than nothing at all...
I am wondering what causes that noise problem though .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 9.269 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com