Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)  (Read 116831 times)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 6)
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2012, 07:13:17 AM »
I always move the file to the computer . It's just I don't quite trust file transfers since I lost a few in the past with my HI MD recorders . Since than I always make a analog copy before hand. Better an analog copy than nothing at all...

Unless I'm missing something that's unnecessary and a HUGE waste of time. Skip the analog copy and copy (not move) the digital file to the computer. If you copy the file to the computer, you should still have a perfect digital file on the M10's flash card even if you have a power failure or some other problem during the process. This may not be the case if you move the file instead of copy it.

Losing a file during a transfer was a known issue with mini-disc (though it never happened to me with my MZ-RH1). Not so with transfers of files from a flash drive to hard drive.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »
I always move the file to the computer . It's just I don't quite trust file transfers since I lost a few in the past with my HI MD recorders . Since than I always make a analog copy before hand. Better an analog copy than nothing at all...

Unless I'm missing something that's unnecessary and a HUGE waste of time. Skip the analog copy and copy (not move) the digital file to the computer. If you copy the file to the computer, you should still have a perfect digital file on the M10's flash card even if you have a power failure or some other problem during the process. This may not be the case if you move the file instead of copy it.

Losing a file during a transfer was a known issue with mini-disc (though it never happened to me with my MZ-RH1). Not so with transfers of files from a flash drive to hard drive.

99,9 % you are right . But for that 0,01 % chance something happens with the micro SD card , I'm happy to have another copy .
It'll never happen I loose a file due to a file transfer.

Besides, believe it or not , I really don't hear the difference between this recorder and minidisc . Technically there is , offcourse...but in reality I don't think anyone can hear the difference . And I have a great stereo set up where you should be able to tell the difference . An analog copy sounds as good as the original to me on Minidisc . And it saves me all the work at the computer .
Sure , I keep the original file on my hard drive . But I never do anything with it at all .

I wonder how everyone listens to their recordings anyway ?
I'd like to listen to my recordings on a hifi stereo set . Not on the computer for sure . And I dislike CDR's or DVD's ( scratches , storage etc. ).
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 09:31:30 AM by Ekib »
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
believe it or not , I really don't hear the difference between this recorder and minidisc . Technically there is , offcourse...but in reality I don't think anyone can hear the difference . And I have a great stereo set up where you should be able to tell the difference .

I never heard a difference either (using Sennheiser HD650 phones), even with the Hi-SP mode which I usually used to avoid having to change discs during a show.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
believe it or not , I really don't hear the difference between this recorder and minidisc . Technically there is , offcourse...but in reality I don't think anyone can hear the difference . And I have a great stereo set up where you should be able to tell the difference .

I never heard a difference either (using Sennheiser HD650 phones), even with the Hi-SP mode which I usually used to avoid having to change discs during a show.

Cool . So how do you listen to your recordings than , and anyone else here ?
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »

Usually Hard Drive > Windows 7 Computer > Topping TP30 USB DAC/T Amp > Sennheiser HD650 Phones w/Cardas Cable (or Polk bookshelf speakers if I don't need too much bass).

Sometimes Rockboxed Sansa E280 MP3 player (8 GB + 32 GB MIcro SD card).

Usually listen to my music when using my computer. Home stereo mainly used for movies.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2012, 04:13:33 PM »

I send the recordings out to be transcribed to musical notes.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

adrianf74

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »

I send the recordings out to be transcribed to musical notes.

AWESOME!   :)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
I don't tape to listen to music after-the-fact.

I just like to look at waveforms and patterns of ones and zeroes. Preferably on punch cards.

Offline colargol

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
I'm sorry if this has been covered in this conversation before. I tried to search for it, but couldn't find it...

Has anyone used 32gb micro sd cards in the m-10? Does this work? If so, any specific cards to recommend?

-colargol
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline pontiacb

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2012, 02:16:47 AM »
I'm sorry if this has been covered in this conversation before. I tried to search for it, but couldn't find it...

Has anyone used 32gb micro sd cards in the m-10? Does this work? If so, any specific cards to recommend?

-colargol
I think this thread will help you

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=147879.0

at least a couple of people have used a 32GB card sucessfully.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:27:46 AM by pontiacb »

Offline colargol

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2012, 04:03:32 AM »

Thanks, just what I was looking for :-) Can't see what happens so that it doesn't show up when I search...
I'll get a sandisk 32gb micro sd, will report on that page whether it works fine...

-c
MK4s/MK41s > nbob actives > tinybox/babynbox > M10/A10

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2012, 11:00:35 AM »
(late to the game)
FWIW I copy all shows to my hard drive from the microSD and only format the card before the "next" show, so that way I have a backup (short term) in case something happens to my PC or my 2nd PC backup

Offline Ekib

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2012, 01:54:42 PM »

Thanks, just what I was looking for :-) Can't see what happens so that it doesn't show up when I search...
I'll get a sandisk 32gb micro sd, will report on that page whether it works fine...

-c

Make sure you get a class 10 micro sd card .
Why do you need 32 gb anyway ? Unless you are recording a complete festival , 16 gb should be plenty . Even on the highest quality you're still getting over 7 hours ...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2012, 04:00:22 PM »
Make sure you get a class 10 micro sd card .

Yes, that will come in handy for 4-track recording at 48/384...

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2012, 05:47:43 PM »
What aaronji means is, really, let's not go overboard on the microSD specs. Class 4 or class 6 should be more than sufficient if you are using a good brand like SanDisk. Unless you've figured out a way to record HD video with the PCM-M10.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com