Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Examples of Shotgun Mics sounding good  (Read 9922 times)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
Examples of Shotgun Mics sounding good
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »
I know (and agree) that shotguns are not the best choice in most circumstances.
But the fact is - a lot of tapers ran this way.
Plenty of times - I've patched into guns - and just didn't "get it", but the guy a few stands over did - seems like a huge amount of luck involved.

So how about some examples of shotguns sounding good?

Here's one of SirMicks recordings that has been getting a some steady play at my place...

Grateful Dead Live at Glen Helen Regional Park on 1982-09-05
http://archive.org/details/gd1982-09-05.nak300.sirmick.87210.sbeok.flac16

This has that nice low, pumpy bass - and no shortage of clarity in the instruments - and still plenty of crowd feedback.

You can hear the guns shaping the mids and highs a bit - but I think my ears get used to it pretty quick.

I wonder if there was anything about PA/Speaker tech of this era that may have made guns not such a bad choice?

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Examples of Shotgun Mics sounding good
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 11:27:22 AM »
I have a fine example of guns doing a great job. First problem is it's not my master. I have a first gen copy of the master. Second problem is there are some excellent sources of these shows already up. 10/9 and 10/10/82. The taper was FOB/DFC and quite close pointing at the inside edge of the stacks. Quite frankly it's one of the best recordings I've ever heard. Nak CM304's>D5. If I can get at the masters I will seed it someday.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »
I wonder if there was anything about PA/Speaker tech of this era that may have made guns not such a bad choice?
I do think there were some PA changes in summer 1982 which led to Don Pearson's Ultrasound becoming the sound company of choice, which then brought the wonderful Meyer Sound Speakers (and later amps, later integrated amps with Meyers SENSE technology) to the show. IIRC, summer 1982 was with The old sound company (can't remember their name at the moment) did all shows except the three Red Rocks shows in that summer run where Healy introduced the Meyer PA system. after that, they went with the other company until Fall 1982, then they went full time with Ultrasound. The old sound company used Crest Amplifiers and I believe the 1982-1983 Ultrasound setups also used Crest, then started using Meyer amplifiers with speakersense TM after that.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 12:46:12 PM »
This tape sourced from Nakamichi cp4's sounds pretty good.  Not a realistic sound by any means; the bass is intense but controlled and there is a big mid peak that is always attributed to the sound of these mics.  Still a pleasing recording to listen to.

http://archive.org/details/toubab2005-08-26
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
I think the modern dpa 4017s sound pretty good. They are still basically shotguns, but it's not bad. There is someone in NC who has a pair and the best sample to listen to on the archive is a Ratdog show in Atlanta.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
One big difference was the use of point source PA speakers in clusters, opposed to line arrays typically used today. Not sure if that helped the guns sound quality though. I was not fully satisfied when I ran a pair of NAK guns, but when I changed to running the CP4s with a card in the center indoors, and omni in the center outside, into an MX100 mixer, I loved the sound. Compromise is a constant for taping to get the best sound under whatever limits are faced, never more so than taping the Grateful Dead. On a side note, when I started taping Phish in '92, I did not like the way guns sounded for them at all, and only ran them a few times before switching to cards and hypers only by '94.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Online darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 06:08:30 PM by darby »

Offline PG

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:59:53 PM »
I have a fine example of guns doing a great job. First problem is it's not my master. I have a first gen copy of the master. Second problem is there are some excellent sources of these shows already up. 10/9 and 10/10/82. The taper was FOB/DFC and quite close pointing at the inside edge of the stacks. Quite frankly it's one of the best recordings I've ever heard. Nak CM304's>D5. If I can get at the masters I will seed it someday.

Is that the FOB where you can hear someone yell "Thank God for the harvest!"? rangos?

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:16:46 PM »
Nak Guns pointed just inside of the middle of the stack...stand at about 7-8ft high in the average hockey arena ran into a Sony D5 in the OTS...That is what I thought the Grateful Dead sounded like when I got home or was riding down the road to the next venue...I was always happy and satisfied with the result...then again I wasn't in teh cool crowd down front...so I didn't screw it up for them I guess

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »

Is that the FOB where you can hear someone yell "Thank God for the harvest!"? rangos?

I'm pretty sure you're refering to Rango's FOB with Sony ECM 220T's. The recording I'm talking about is not in circulation. The guy who owns the master has never transfered any of his stuff. He was big in the midwest and Cali from '82 to about '89. 99% of his recordings are CM304. He has over 300 masters. Near the end he started getting lazy and would often end up all the way in the back just kinda winging it, but his early stuff is very nice. I have quite a few 1st gen copies of his stuff but the only way I would ever seed them is if his masters were gone. I lost touch with him about ten years ago.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
Jumping forward to the modern era...
Here is one I'm fairly proud of, considering the OTS was in the last row under the balcony, and off to one side. http://archive.org/details/phil2007-10-10.nak300.flac16f
Here's another good one.  http://archive.org/details/um2008-08-09.nak300_guns  I'd take this gun source over the other sources.

When I had Nak guns I found them hit or miss.  As others have described, where you point them is critical, and they have the potential for enormous bass.  Lately I'm preferring the shorter guns like ME66's and CK8's.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
The AKG ck8 shotgun cap is a very nice shotgun. We have pulled many fine tapes with those.

I was actually looking for my ryan montbleau from the egg in albany on 2008-10-04 (opened for Martin Sexton) but it appears I never bothered to upload it to the LMA.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Trade Count: (0)
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Red Boink

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 11:32:28 PM »
Akg568

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 08:14:56 PM »
I recorded these shows with AT 897's short guns with pretty good results.
http://archive.org/details/Furthur2012-04-07.Furthur2012-04-07.AT897s
http://archive.org/details/furthur2011-07-22.at897.laurentus.114706.flac16
http://archive.org/details/furthur2010-07-30.at897.laurentus.109128.flac16
http://archive.org/details/furthur2010-06-26.at897.laurentus.108501.flac16
I had the DR100 but upgraded to the Dr100MKII, Doug Oade told me these Mics are
a nice match for the DR100. IMO I think the DR100MKII sounds a little cleaner on the 4/7 show
except for the whistler.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com