Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SD7xx Tone Generator  (Read 6058 times)

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: SD7xx Tone Generator
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
Scroll to the bottom of the page...

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

There is no decibel to dBFS converter

Notice - Comparing dBu and dBFS: There is really no fixed
world standard like e.g. −20 dBFS = +4 dBu = 0dBVU.
The digital peak scale is not equivalent to the analog RMS scale.

You can never match dBFS and dBu.

dBu is volts - you measure it with a volt meter. dBFS is in contrast a binary number.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: SD7xx Tone Generator
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »
dBu is volts - you measure it with a volt meter. dBFS is in contrast a binary number.

no shit. Thats why I said acquire:

1) What is your 722 set to output on (is there any pad, if not, then the tape out is one value and the mini-xlrs are +20dbu). It's a setting in the menu.
2) What's the max input on the r09hr?

If the max output of the various outputs of the 722 are known in it's specifications (page 69 has the mini-xlr at least), and you don't have a pad (as noted in #1 and noted on page 70 of the manual) then 0dbfs = a known number in dbu. You'll need a similar conversion for the r09hr's input since it's not a 722 which is what you elegantly pointed out with this:

Notice - Comparing dBu and dBFS: There is really no fixed

Which is completely true since maximum inputs/outputs vary across manufacturers/models. So once you go from the 722's output (convert your dbfs to the dbu which you can figure out given the appropriate specs noted above) then you need the max input of the r09hr or the unity setting (so with no extra gain/attenuation you can find what is the max dbu signal the adc can take as it hits 0dbfs). Thus you can say when the 722 has a dbfs rating of X, you know that you should see a dbfs rating of Y on the r09hr. Those don't have to be the same (since the input of the r09hr is unlikely to be the max out of the 722), and you only need three of the four values to make it work ("solve for X" as algebra teachers everywhere say). Once you have the missing value, you can start to calibrate other gear to the r09hr. Now, lots of people have done this homework for you already so finding these values isn't particularly difficult, but if you were to do it at home, thats how you'd do it (assuming you don't have a tone generator with a known signal level) which is easily better then saying -12dbfs is the same on all recorders regardless of what signal it's pumping out on one and what the sensitivity tolerance is on the other which is sort of what you're implying you did when you replied to john with this:

How did you do this? I assume line out of the 7xx and into the R09 and then adjust the level until it matched -12? I would think that the 7xx output would add gain but maybe not.

That is exactly how I did it.  It doesn't add gain but you can set the level tone to whatever output you want.  I did -12 line out of the SD to line in of the R09HR and adjusted the R09HR till it read -12 on its level meter.  When that was done I checked -20 and sure enough it read -20 on the R09HR.  very cool feature....
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com