Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ADK-TL screw threads  (Read 2282 times)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
ADK-TL screw threads
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »
In a yard sale thread it was asked... and I chose to answer here...

hate to ask here..  but does anyone know the diameter of the ADK threads??

buy these mikes..  sweet deal!!!

I don't remember but I figured it out once.  It's an unusual thread, metric.  I was thinking I would find a "nut" that fits and fab up some solid mounts, but I didn't find any nuts.

When you put gas in your car you have the fuel nozzle you stick in your gas tank, and that's attached to the rubber hose and the pump. There is a "break away" piece where the rubber hose attaches to the fuel nozzle, and that break away piece uses the same thread as the TL's.  How random, right?  I presume the gas pump industry invented the thread, and then when ADK went to a machine shop looking for a rugged setup for their heavy mics.  The machine shop made those gas pump parts and said "I've got just the thing."  That's pure speculation on my part, but how else would it happen?  I thought I should find my local gas pump junk yard and get some parts, but when I realized they would be made out of brass, which I can't weld, I gave up.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:00:20 AM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: ADK-TL screw threads
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 07:26:13 AM »
Now I'm curious how you found out the thread on the ADKs was the same as on a gas pump break-away piece?

I have this weird mental picture of you disassembling a fuel hose at a gas station in your quest to find something that matches the thread pitch. But I can't imagine you actually doing something that absurd.

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:05:41 AM »
SmokinJoe, are you talking about the shock mount like this?
http://proaudiotoys.com/adk-tseries-ring-mount-fits-tc-tt-tl-and-sl-p-551.html

I'm assuming this or the following is the low pro shock mount that Waltmon was talking about too.

http://proaudiotoys.com/adk-ring-mount-for-aseries-mics-p-317.html
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:01:29 PM »
Funny, I believe these are the parts my cousin whose family has a Saab service/performance/machine shop in Springfield, MO told me he was making a while back (https://www.genuinesaab.com/ if anybody is interested). Don't see much in the picture gallery that could be related but possibly this: https://genuinesaab.com/gallery/parts/IMG_1941

Not sure if he still does or not but sounds like the same deal. Custom part that nobody manufactures in bulk and he could afford to do small numbers for whoever it was.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 05:50:56 AM »
Flipp, I figured out the thread by measuring it with dial calipers.  The outside is called "major diameter", and distance between threads is the pitch.  Then I started searching Google for that thread, when I found the breakaway that acknowledged the thread existed, but it wasn't used for much.

JimmieC, yes that's what I was thinking about... if I could make a set for $5 I would, but for $60 a pair I wasn't going to buy a set.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com