Gear / Technical Help > Cables

What are active cables and why do so many people use them?

<< < (9/9)

rippleish20:

--- Quote from: heathen on March 12, 2018, 11:33:00 PM ---I meant one box that could connect to the cables and either allow for phantom power or provide battery power.

--- End quote ---

Tha Naiant IPA (Not PFA) can be powered via internal 12v battery, external battery, or phantom power...

jerryfreak:

--- Quote from: H₂O on March 16, 2018, 08:34:14 AM ---Active cables - any cable that has active components (components that need power to be provided to operate) as part of the cable, connectors, etc.
Passive cables - any cable that does not have active components as part of the cable, connector, etc

Active components could include Transistors (i.e. FETs), opamps, vacuum tubes, etc

Examples of active cables for microphones: - Schoeps KC5, KCY, nBob's, DPA d:dictate series, New Neumann KM A/D series LC4 cable

Examples of non-active extension cables for microphones: Neuman KM100 series cables, MBHO 603 cables, Schoeps vintage CMMT cables,  Sennhieser MKH 8000 series extension cables

--- End quote ---

so were the neumann km100 series "actives" as ive always seen them called more subject to noise than say a true active solution?

Gordon:
^^^

I think technically but I ran them for 12 years and never once had any noise or cell phone interference.  my set was made prior to 2007 but no idea how long before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version