Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-4  (Read 33496 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-4
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2004, 01:07:44 AM »

Not true.  Wav itself is limited to 2gb, it's successor wav64 has a higher limit (can't recall exactly what it is). 

ummm...not, not true.  And it seems a little silly to say that when you have loads of people that are recording, editing and playing back files > 2GB  :P

Here's a little something on wav64 that talks about that format being used to tackle the 4GB limit inherent in standard wav
media.vcs.de/Downloads/MBS-WAVE-64.pdf

I thought you were a mac guy anyways (or perhaps that's why this is being debated).
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Jokell
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2004, 01:35:32 AM »

Not true.  Wav itself is limited to 2gb, it's successor wav64 has a higher limit (can't recall exactly what it is). 

ummm...not, not true.  And it seems a little silly to say that when you have loads of people that are recording, editing and playing back files > 2GB  :P

Here's a little something on wav64 that talks about that format being used to tackle the 4GB limit inherent in standard wav
media.vcs.de/Downloads/MBS-WAVE-64.pdf

I thought you were a mac guy anyways (or perhaps that's why this is being debated).

I dunno where that's from, but it is incorrect (and in fact the only thing I have *ever* seen that says wav has a 4 gig limit).  The IFF spec uses a 32-bit unsigned integer and is limited to 2 GB (2048 MB). This includes wav (RIFF), AIFF and TIFF.

If it were in fact a limitation of the drive format that would not explain why my iBook is limited to 2 gigs on a Wav in Spark on an HFS+ drive.

After some searching I think I may have found what your software is doing:
The 2Gbyte limit comes from the fact that the size of a WAV file is
represented by a 32 bit number at the beginning of the file. When the
file size exceeds 2Gbytes, that number becomes negative when
interpreted as a signed integer. If the number is properly
interpreted you wind up with a 4Gbyte file size limitation.

So basically the spec calls for a 2 gigabyte limit, but if the software doesn't go by the wav spec they can "cheat" and reach the 4 gigs.  Technically it wouldn't be an actual wav file, though.
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2004, 03:11:01 AM »
well i didnt believe the 4 gig thing until tonight. i recorded a wav that shows its size as 4.5 gb but when opened in winamp, its 15:41 long (when in reality its more like 2:15:41). i've never had that problem with waves over 2 gig, but 4 seems to be the magic number

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2004, 09:51:03 AM »
I wont make it. I have to work til 8.

Is Ryan Montbleau opening ?

No some band called Bunji opened.  I got there just before Reid got on stage.  There was a Schoeps - MiniMe setup running, I got the guy's E-mail (Hi, Carl!)

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2004, 09:56:49 AM »
did you catch bunji? were they any good? i had a few of their mp3s on my computer for a while. i thought they were ... ok...

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2004, 10:13:51 AM »
Schoeps -> MiniMe (at an AOD show) = Carl.

He makes it to just about every show. Very nice guy.

I really enjoy taping those guys. Jack is a great soundman and is about as taper friendly as they come. I think he posts on here from time to time as well. The crowd usually has a lot of energy which is a plus I would rather have to deal with too much energy then a really flat crowd / show.

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2005, 09:37:28 AM »
I didn't make it there for Bunji, sorry.

I made an effort to say hi to Jack.  You're right, he is definitely taper-friendly. 

Offline rerem

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2005, 01:23:54 AM »
I recall seeing the R4 as retailing somewhere at close to $1650,also that it had both HD and flashcard recording and I recall some kind of buffer geared to those late starts where you miss the first few notes,but probably just as handy as a way to beat any limit on wave filesize. 4 channel-24/96,good pre+phantom-under $2k. Granted,the Testa Rosa crowd is accustomed to perfect tech,and to a few $8k for a taping rig is acceptable. My sense is that a $3k rig is pretty high end-you'd have to record abot 100 shows to justify that. Edirol,with the R1 and R4 appears to be a first rate option in those price ranges. This stuff won't be a mass market,relative to something like a nomad but in a year R! at $400 and R4 at $1500 may be realistic

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2005, 01:35:51 AM »
if the r-4 was bit accurate, i bet a lot of tapers would be getting one.  actually i bet a lot of tapers still will get one.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com