Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best Inexpensive Microphone  (Read 3480 times)

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
Best Inexpensive Microphone
« on: October 27, 2004, 10:13:20 PM »
A bit of a survey question here. What does everyone consider the best inexpensive microphone out there?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re: Best Inexpensive Microphone
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 10:25:18 PM »
depends on inexpensive....  some might say AKG c1000, MXL's.  there are many..  how much do you have to play with??
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 10:26:29 PM »
i would say the studio projects c4's, priced at 300ish +/-20 bucks or so with card and omni caps, screens and shocks...pretty much a deal that cant be beat in terms of sound, quality and value

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 10:35:57 PM »
i would say the studio projects c4's, priced at 300ish +/-20 bucks or so with card and omni caps, screens and shocks...pretty much a deal that cant be beat in terms of sound, quality and value

Exactly, we should just sticky this answer up at the top of the messageboard it gets repeated so often.
mics & cameras

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 10:53:02 PM »
In other words, the C4's above all? Is the sound quality pretty good?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 11:07:38 PM »

Well not above all mics, but above all under $400 imo

Oktavas are decent you can get a pair for 200 or so, however once you buy the omni caps it brings it up to $340, plus you have to buy mounts. AKG C1000s are alright but they are very large, think soda bottle size, and they can be cumbersome to find mounts or screens for, plus no omni pattern, just hypers if you dont lose or break the feeble adapter they come with, plus they are around $250 total.  So the C4's come out to be a better deal and I have yet to meet anyone who was dissatisfied with them, including myself.  They are a great starter mic, by no means the best but you will pull some nice tapes with them.  This is just one of the recordings I did, and this was less than great conditions to say the least, and it still came out nicely: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=18720

I have run all three and can honestly say that the C4's were a healthy step above the other two

mics & cameras

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 11:38:09 PM »
Audio Technica AT853Rx will outperform Oktavas day in and day out, imho of course.  ;D

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 11:54:37 PM »

Oktavas are decent you can get a pair for 200 or so, however once you buy the omni caps it brings it up to $340, plus you have to buy mounts. AKG C1000s are alright but they are very large, think soda bottle size, and they can be cumbersome to find mounts or screens for, plus no omni pattern, just hypers if you dont lose or break the feeble adapter they come with, plus they are around $250 total.  So the C4's come out to be a better deal and I have yet to meet anyone who was dissatisfied with them, including myself.  They are a great starter mic, by no means the best but you will pull some nice tapes with them.  This is just one of the recordings I did, and this was less than great conditions to say the least, and it still came out nicely: http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=18720

I have run all three and can honestly say that the C4's were a healthy step above the other two

first off i thought the c1000s were omni? defenitly not hypers though unless i'm not right. and while i'm not happy w/ my rode n5 tapes(blame falls on me, not the mics) i want something other than a card pattern. they're not bad mics either. somewere around the $200 mark. they're small too (+/-) so most shockmounts are too big. the ones from here:

(http://www.superlux.us/smalldiaphragm.html)  

seam to fit pretty good. puting them to the test next weekend

all that said i know nothing about the c4s
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 12:05:41 AM »

first off i thought the c1000s were omni? defenitly not hypers though unless i'm not right. and while i'm not happy w/ my rode n5 tapes(blame falls on me, not the mics) i want something other than a card pattern. they're not bad mics either. somewere around the $200 mark. they're small too (+/-) so most shockmounts are too big. the ones from here:

(http://www.superlux.us/smalldiaphragm.html)  

seam to fit pretty good. puting them to the test next weekend

all that said i know nothing about the c4s

C1000's are cards, and they have a plastic converter that comes with it to convert it to hypers

I forgot about superluxes, but I have no experience with them
mics & cameras

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 01:53:10 AM »
superluxes are awesome.  The set i was using came with a case, shocks, tbar, 3/8>5/8's adapter, extra bands for the shocks and card, hc, and omni caps all for around $200.

As far as i'm concerned they sound better than octavas.  i've never really compared them to c1000's or the c4's but for the price i'd say they're definitely one of the best starter mics on the market.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 08:03:45 AM »
Audio Technica AT853Rx will outperform Oktavas day in and day out, imho of course.  ;D

marc

qft

although it seems almost blasphemous these days, I sometimes think my ATs outperform the TLs.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 08:07:19 AM »

marc

qft

although it seems almost blasphemous these days, I sometimes think my ATs outperform the TLs.

brace for stoning j/k  ;D
mics & cameras

Offline charles

• W/O Rig but Hopeful
  • Taperssection Member
    • BrownMountainLight.Net
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2004, 02:35:27 AM »
superlux?
W/O Rig but Hopeful

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.319 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com