Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ua-5>jb3 question  (Read 2198 times)

Offline Nomad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Ua-5>jb3 question
« on: January 22, 2005, 10:33:27 AM »
 Well I recorded my first show last nite and I have a question. When I was recording it was seeming as I wasnt getting a hot signal. I couldnt hear the music through the headphones on the jb3 without the  mic level knob being set around the 4 o clock area or more which is almost maxed out. That was also where they were right before peaking on the ua5. My question is I have read to conflicting things on the ua5. One is to set  the mic level right before they clip and that going past 3 o clock can lead to diginoise which I did hear is some parts. So which one do you guys go by? I was within 15 feet of the monitors in a bar. Should I just below peak but do not go past 3 o clock and all will be merry? The meters never went into the danger zone on the jb3. Thanks !
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Ua-5>jb3 question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 11:09:15 AM »
Once again, sorry all about repeatin' this for the thousandth time but do your self a favor and buy a SVU-1 VU meter to moniter your levels w/ a UA-5>NJB3.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 11:19:32 AM »
I couldnt hear the music through the headphones on the jb3 without the mic level knob being set around the 4 o clock area or more which is almost maxed out. That was also where they were right before peaking on the ua5. My question is I have read to conflicting things on the ua5. One is to set the mic level right before they clip and that going past 3 o clock can lead to diginoise which I did hear is some parts.

What does the "diginoise" sound like?  Are you sure it isn't clipping?  If you weren't clipping, the only noise I'd expect to hear is more analog self-noise from the UA5 - which maybe wouldn't even be audible in a concert taping environment.  Maybe post a sample for us all to check out?

So which one do you guys go by? I was within 15 feet of the monitors in a bar. Should I just below peak but do not go past 3 o clock and all will be merry? The meters never went into the danger zone on the jb3. Thanks !

When I ran UA5 > JB3, I had no trouble setting levels without the external SVU meter.  I used the UA5 light (which triggers about -3 dB) to monitor peaks - I liked having the light flicker fairly regularly, but with very few bright steady-on states - and used the JB3 only to monitor L/R balance.

Unless you encounter noticeable analog self-noise problems with the UA5, no point in worrying about where your gain dials are set.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 11:48:53 AM »
Ya, I think Brian is right, it really isnt that hard to set the UA-5 without an external meter. I think it would be nice to have one, but not for how much they cost...

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 12:27:00 PM »
Well I recorded my first show last nite and I have a question. When I was recording it was seeming as I wasnt getting a hot signal. I couldnt hear the music through the headphones on the jb3 without the  mic level knob being set around the 4 o clock area or more which is almost maxed out. That was also where they were right before peaking on the ua5. My question is I have read to conflicting things on the ua5. One is to set  the mic level right before they clip and that going past 3 o clock can lead to diginoise which I did hear is some parts. So which one do you guys go by? I was within 15 feet of the monitors in a bar. Should I just below peak but do not go past 3 o clock and all will be merry? The meters never went into the danger zone on the jb3. Thanks !

All kinds of issues here...first...headphones are useless...leave them at home. They really cant tell you much. (unless you have some serious cans and something to drive them with...and even then.)

Second - the output of the jb3 headphone jack(vs the live room sound) is not representative of your recording levels in any way...

It more about keeping it just under peak...and make sure you know what your peak light is indicating...(anyone know what the peak light means on this thing?) As you get more experience with the device...you will develop a visual index with the knob position...so you can at least be in the ball park when you start a set...

And - Has ANYONE ever seen the jb3 meter hit the top...? I never have - and I almost always hit 0 at some point in each show...these days...it seems like that last, less dark, segment at the top never lights up?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 12:32:55 PM by corkscrew »

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 12:34:07 PM »
it would seem to me that if you had the ua-5 gain knobs for ach of your xlr inputs "maxed out" at "4 o'clock" as you state and the levels were still low that you forgot to turn on phantom power to your mics.

the digistatic that you probably experienced was probably the fact that you were running the gain wide open which may introduce tons of broadband noise into your recording. i have found that optimal recording gain settings are right around 1 to 2 "o'clock". in fact i always start at the 1 o'clock and adjust from there as necessary.

when i first started using my ua-5 i would always forget something, phantom power, analog (vs digital), and i still forget to hit stereo (vs mono recording) which is always a bummer. it may be wise to make a "checklist" of how to set up your ua-5 for recording, perhaps on a 3x5 index card that you can laminate and/or tape to the top of the ua-5 to remind you to have all your setting correct.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Nomad

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 01:35:24 PM »
Thank you everyone you all have helped a great deal
When I ran UA5 > JB3, I had no trouble setting levels without the external SVU meter.  I used the UA5 light (which triggers about -3 dB) to monitor peaks - I liked having the light flicker fairly regularly, but with very few bright steady-on states - and used the JB3 only to monitor L/R balance.
Brian that is exactly what I was looking for!
Its the terror of knowing what the world is about. Wathcing some good friends screaming let me out.

Superlux CM-H8K> Wmod Ua-5> JB3

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 04:34:41 PM »
I realize you are using different mics, but with my Nak's I have to have the UA-5 turned all the way up to get decent levels. I am assuming that's because the Nak's aren't very powerful with their 9volt batteries.

And as for ever clipping in a JB3, I've done it a few times, but only with the stand low, and people clapping above their heads.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 02:07:29 PM »
And - Has ANYONE ever seen the jb3 meter hit the top...? I never have - and I almost always hit 0 at some point in each show...these days...it seems like that last, less dark, segment at the top never lights up?

I've had a couple spots of clipping on the JB3, but only at really loud shows (Cracker 9/26/04) or if I run too hot on the levels.  Nothing too bad though, and I usually run pretty hot anyway.

A VU meter might be nice, but I don't think it is absolutely necessary.  I'd probably just screw with my levels even more than I already do. ;)
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 02:39:08 PM »
I realize you are using different mics, but with my Nak's I have to have the UA-5 turned all the way up to get decent levels. I am assuming that's because the Nak's aren't very powerful with their 9volt batteries.

And as for ever clipping in a JB3, I've done it a few times, but only with the stand low, and people clapping above their heads.

so youre powering your mics w/ a 9v vs. phantom, or are the naks not phantom powered ???
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2005, 05:45:50 PM »
different mics have differnt output.  Some are drastic differences.  With the phantom off I don't think you would get anything. 

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com