Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: playback-pr0n  (Read 57647 times)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: playback-pr0n
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2005, 07:54:01 AM »
Very cool BAT.  I would appreciate a mini review when you get a chance as I've been considering trying a BAT.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2005, 07:52:43 AM »
A mini review is tough b/c this is the first tube amp I have ever owned. With that being said, it did replace a few real good soild state amps. My last & favorite being the DNA-1. I had the chance to use the DNA & BAT back to back when I first got my VR4jr's. What I can say is that it does not have the slam that the DNA did but figuring it is a third of the power this makes sense. The bass is very weighty, is very fluid & does have "some" slam. The mids & highs are so beyond description, they are sweet & fluid. Actually fluid sums up the whole presentation. There is excellent soundstage & an imaging but overall the presence of tubes is what get's you. It will draw you into the music, what I find I'm enjoying is the attack of the notes. They seem to hit you hard & then have a sweet decay. The music sounds LIVE, I can't say anything other than that. I can't imagine ANYTHING sounding better to my ears. If you want to try tubes but are afraid of a loss of bass slam, I still think this is the amp for you. You may lose a little down on the bottom octaves but what you gain everywhere else is worth tenfold IMHO.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2005, 07:54:35 AM »
It sounds very similar to my ARC. Thanks.

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2005, 08:01:22 PM »
A mini review is tough b/c this is the first tube amp I have ever owned.......................

Wow !  That's like learning to drive in a Ferrari !   

Giddyap !

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2005, 12:55:01 PM »

This one is the coolest from the thread...  :laugh: :D :)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2005, 12:57:11 PM »
that quaf is pretty tite too.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

BobW

« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2005, 03:41:51 PM »

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2005, 05:06:19 PM »
From Agon:    ::)

Is this for real ?
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1123280981

]\

That pic certainly doesn't make me want to shell out $600. However I know nothing about these speakers or anything about single driver speakers for that matter. :-\
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2005, 03:33:35 PM »
just finished (re)building my mediaplayer 'puter (which i affectionately call my "hi-fi pc") and adding it to the stack...

here is a closeup of the h-fpc (with the jolida on top)...

and here is a not-so-good(quality) pic of the glow...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2005, 03:38:30 PM »
nice, care to explain your pc setup?

I haven't been able to get a good picture of the tube glow either :(

I'm going to start running vxpocket digi out->dac for now
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2005, 04:01:54 PM »
nice, care to explain your pc setup?

I haven't been able to get a good picture of the tube glow either :(

I'm going to start running vxpocket digi out->dac for now

see now, if you had had me as your houseguest next week, i coulda shown ya :P (i am kidding - i know you had plans)

signal path: ap2496 > spdif coax > monarchy dip(s) > mensa > joLida

display: matrix orbital lcd2041 (with their supplied serial cable interface and adapted power cable) > lcdsmartie (which reads the output of the foo_txt plugin in foobar2000)

control: airbord IR remote keyboar/mouse (which i use to train the theatermaster mx700)

____

fwiw...

i have the optical out of the c2000es (sacd/cd player) plugged into the first monarchy in the DAC chain [it has two inputs (coax + optical), with a toggle switch on the back], so that i am using the sony player as a redbook transport only, because i switch the monarchy to optical input, and then the cd digital goes through the dac chain. if the toggle is set to coax input, it takes whatever i play in foobar2000 (including 24/96 audio files)...

i have the rca outs of that sacd/cd unit go to the second input on the joLida for sacd playback...

the nak deck plays back via the dat analog input, so i can have save the last jolida input (of four) for the phono...

« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 04:06:57 PM by macdaddy »
-macdaddy ++

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2005, 04:13:09 PM »
nice

I just downloaded foobar... I'm going to start playing with that this afternoon

I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2005, 04:39:52 PM »
Foobar has been FUBAR for me.  It worked for like 2 days, now it always thinks that some other device is using my cdrom.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2005, 04:40:38 PM »
tim -- foobar's real nice, be sure to download the biggest/most comprehensive version available as that's the one that will decode shns.

Macdaddy -- can the lcd screen be used to scan music directories to identify stored albums/shows to play, or do you still need a "real" screen for that? - also, can the lcd screen easily be mounted remotely (my pc sits hidden behind my stereo rack)?

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2005, 04:53:04 PM »
tim -- foobar's real nice, be sure to download the biggest/most comprehensive version available as that's the one that will decode shns.

they call that the special version (all the components you need in the one *.exe)

Macdaddy -- can the lcd screen be used to scan music directories to identify stored albums/shows to play, or do you still need a "real" screen for that? - also, can the lcd screen easily be mounted remotely (my pc sits hidden behind my stereo rack)?

you mean mount it in sometihing other than two drive bays..? yes - the frame is easy to mount... your biggest problem would be getting the power cable to it - the serial cable is long enough...

as for scanning the drives... if i can use lcdsmartie to have it print live ezt rss feeds, i am sure there is a way to have it scan your drives. not sure what you want to do there...

but basically  - if lcd smartie can do it, you can do it with the display...

i just have foo txt output a four line txt file, and each line gets printed on the display - the file updates once/second...

http://lcdsmartie.sourceforge.net/
-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com