Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Overkill for a novice?  (Read 8905 times)

Offline Timmy!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Overkill for a novice?
« on: May 16, 2005, 05:17:30 PM »
Hi all.  I'm a Long Time Reader, First Time Poster (LTRFTP)  :).  I've been interested in taping for about six months now and I'm really pondering what setup I want to buy.  I've got my eye on AKG391's & and Edirol R4.  Is this a little overkill for a newby? Should I just go with a JB3 instead of an R4 (it would be cheaper)?   

I just don't want to spend an outragous amount of money only to make below average recordings.

I also want to say that you guys are awesome, you are always willing to help out a newbie.   And you guys are full of so much damned info, I'm amazed!   ;)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re: Overkill for a novice?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 05:26:02 PM »
I'f you've been lingering around, I'd bet you're gonna be addicted to the hobby... if that's so, then don't waste money getting newby stuff...

if you think you'll be sticking with it (which, if you've been interested for 6mos, you prolly will...) then go big!
 ;D
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 05:44:22 PM »
buy the best gear that you can afford

newbie or not
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 05:46:56 PM »
buy the best gear that you can afford

newbie or not

tim is so damn smart.  99.9% of the time he's right  ;)  This is one of those times.
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 05:47:51 PM »
great minds think alike heath ;)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 05:49:20 PM »
I'f you've been lingering around, I'd bet you're gonna be addicted to the hobby... if that's so, then don't waste money getting newby stuff...

if you think you'll be sticking with it (which, if you've been interested for 6mos, you prolly will...) then go big!
 ;D

yeah, don't get something you're going to want to upgrade instantly just to see if the tape will sound good or not. expecialy if you can afford better.

think of it like splitting wood w/ a hatchet or a sledge and wedge. better yet, go all out for the hydrolic log splitter!
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 05:49:32 PM »
you'd need something between the jb3 and mics to provide phantom power and gain (like a ua5) -- does the r4 provide phantom power and mic inputs?  If so, the r4 might well be the cheaper solution . . .

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:52:28 PM »
have i mentioned recently that tim is a jedi?   :P

The Upstream Mend

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 05:56:14 PM »
Hi all.  I'm a Long Time Reader, First Time Poster (LTRFTP)  :).  I've been interested in taping for about six months now and I'm really pondering what setup I want to buy.  I've got my eye on AKG391's & and Edirol R4.  Is this a little overkill for a newby? Should I just go with a JB3 instead of an R4 (it would be cheaper)?   

I just don't want to spend an outragous amount of money only to make below average recordings.

I also want to say that you guys are awesome, you are always willing to help out a newbie.   And you guys are full of so much damned info, I'm amazed!   ;)

Like 15 folks asked me why I was getting a 722 and some mgs even though ive been taping for only like 8 or so months..My answer was cuz 1.) I knew i would keep at it 2) It looked and sounded great from what I heard and seemed to be user friendly and 3.) cuz i could.

get what you can afford,  do what it takes to make your ears happy. Its your money, noone should give a damn if you buy a midas mixing board and a fleet of u89s and goldchannels, do what you want with it. you are right about them being experts. I wouldnt know shit if it werent for these fine gentlemen(and ladies ) and eunuchs here

Ray

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 05:59:58 PM by BigRay »

Offline heath

• I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 05:58:09 PM »

get what you can afford,  do what it takes to make your ears happy. Its your money, noone should give a damn if you buy a midas mixing board and a fleet of u89s and goldchannels, do what you want with it.

qfmft

The Upstream Mend

Ray76

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 06:02:28 PM »

get what you can afford,  do what it takes to make your ears happy. Its your money, noone should give a damn if you buy a midas mixing board and a fleet of u89s and goldchannels, do what you want with it.

qfmft

Or for that matter, who cares is you buy some at 4050s from a newer dude at 75 percent off cuz you know a lot and the dude dont ;) +T heath

kskreider

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 06:11:45 PM »
have i mentioned recently that tim is a jedi?   :P

Really?  Welcome to the ranks, young jedi.   :P

I agree with Tim.  Buy what you can afford.  May the upgrade bug bite you hard. 

I should also point out that in most social situations folks are advised to avoid promiscuous and slutty situations, but around here it is encouraged.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 06:13:52 PM by DarkStarJedi »

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2005, 10:14:09 AM »
stay away from jbk ;)
we all live downstream.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2005, 01:39:57 PM »
buy the best you can afford, but don't borrow the rent money to do it.  The more common newbie rigs like c-4's, 391's, c-1000's, ua-5, jb3, d-8 and the like, can be had for a reasonable price used and when you go to sell you won't take a very big hit and you'll sell quick to the next guy on the fence.  That being said, you can buy smart on the higher end stuff the same way.  Many times people will sell a complete rig or most of a rig and that is often a great way to buy.  Any of the more common posters here will always offer help after the sale also... part of the pleasure of buying and selling "within the family".

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Ray76

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2005, 01:41:38 PM »
buy the best you can afford, but don't borrow the rent money to do it.  The more common newbie rigs like c-4's, 391's, c-1000's, ua-5, jb3, d-8 and the like, can be had for a reasonable price used and when you go to sell you won't take a very big hit and you'll sell quick to the next guy on the fence.  That being said, you can buy smart on the higher end stuff the same way.  Many times people will sell a complete rig or most of a rig and that is often a great way to buy.  Any of the more common posters here will always offer help after the sale also... part of the pleasure of buying and selling "within the family".

Matt

spoken like a scholar matt.+T hoss. BTW, im sellin a complete rig ad-20>ps2>coresounds cardoids in the yar sale section for a darn good price.  ;D

BigRay

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com