Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Blank DAT? What the heck?!  (Read 6491 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: Blank DAT? What the heck?!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2005, 04:32:58 AM »
I never heard of a M1/D100 misloading in my 4 years of digital taping.  I have personally known no fewer than two D8 mishaps (Blur stealthing with Steve Robinson - LOST, John Cale stealthing with my buddy - backup with my deck).  I agree, it seems to be related to being too rushed and not closing the lid properly.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2005, 08:50:22 AM »
I had the classic Mis load this past weekend at a small all day music party.  I know it was a misload because it was tape 1, I had no headphones so didn't notice it at the show, and tapes 2-4 are fine.  It was a Sony 90 m (doh) which has been the topic of other mis load stories, so my bad for knowing in the first place.  The previous comment about the D-8 going in rto sleep mode has me thinkning that may have been the cause, as they were slow to get everything set up in the beginning and I put it in to pause/record a few times with out actually letting it roll. 
FWIW, I have had this happen about 3 times since I owned this D-8 bought new in 1997 8) >:D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2005, 08:26:07 PM »
4 1/2 years of heavy D8 use - not one misload
3 years with an M1 = 4 misloads.

(hugs his M1)

Thanks to tim and dnsacks about the pointers, i think i'll start doing that to ensure i don't get a misload.

While were on the topic of misloads and realignments...how often do you guys run a dat cleaner (dry), i was wondering how many hrs inbetween would be a good number.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2005, 08:33:52 PM »
I had the classic Mis load this past weekend at a small all day music party. I know it was a misload because it was tape 1, I had no headphones so didn't notice it at the show, and tapes 2-4 are fine. It was a Sony 90 m (doh) which has been the topic of other mis load stories, so my bad for knowing in the first place. The previous comment about the D-8 going in rto sleep mode has me thinkning that may have been the cause, as they were slow to get everything set up in the beginning and I put it in to pause/record a few times with out actually letting it roll.
FWIW, I have had this happen about 3 times since I owned this D-8 bought new in 1997 8) >:D

I don't know that headphones would help as the D8 is a 2 head deck and only 4 head decks allow for true monitoring of what is actually being recorded. On a 2 head deck you are just hearing the same signal that is inputing to the deck, so as long as a deck is recieving signal you'lll hear the music but will still not know if the deck is actually recording that music.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2005, 08:48:10 PM »
going on 3 years with a D100 and an M1. not a single misload. 

sony DG dds and maxell HS tapes all worked fine in my decks.

i guess i'm one of the lucky ones.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2005, 09:16:45 PM »
i only had one misload w/ my old d-8, thats in 6 years of heavy use! 97-2003!

always used my backlight, so maybe theres something to that, the only time i didnt use my backlight was at phish 7/11/2000, and i only missed the first song and got it at setbreak anyway, so no biggie :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2005, 09:17:40 PM »
oh, and i ran the dry tape cleaner about every 50 hrs :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Tim

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2005, 09:31:57 PM »
i only had one misload w/ my old d-8, thats in 6 years of heavy use! 97-2003!

always used my backlight, so maybe theres something to that, the only time i didnt use my backlight was at phish 7/11/2000, and i only missed the first song and got it at setbreak anyway, so no biggie :)

the backlight doesn't prevernt a misload, it just lets you know if one occured :)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline blu666z

• AT ES943(H/C/O caps) » JKLab PP9 Pre » wmod UA-5
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 12:58:38 AM »
now if you are running on batteries and the deck goes into sleep mode it will have to reload the tape when it powers backup and you can get a misload even if the 1st load was correct

Is this accurate?

-Kevin

Offline Tim

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2005, 01:31:09 AM »
yes

when a deck goes into sleep the tape unloads itself and the deck powers down. when you restart the deck the tape has to reload again and there is a chance that it could misload on that second load.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2005, 08:14:55 AM »
regarding cleaning tapes. 

i prefer not to use them.  i have heard that more harm is done than good.  i have no evidence to back this up, but i feel much more confident opening the sucker up and cleaning the heads myself.

h
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »
I had the classic Mis load this past weekend at a small all day music party. I know it was a misload because it was tape 1, I had no headphones so didn't notice it at the show, and tapes 2-4 are fine. It was a Sony 90 m (doh) which has been the topic of other mis load stories, so my bad for knowing in the first place. The previous comment about the D-8 going in rto sleep mode has me thinkning that may have been the cause, as they were slow to get everything set up in the beginning and I put it in to pause/record a few times with out actually letting it roll.

I don't know that headphones would help as the D8 is a 2 head deck and only 4 head decks allow for true monitoring of what is actually being recorded. On a 2 head deck you are just hearing the same signal that is inputing to the deck, so as long as a deck is recieving signal you'lll hear the music but will still not know if the deck is actually recording that music.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but this is my understanding

Tim, I think you are correct.  I should havve said that I had time to check between sets and didn't have headphones to check with, nor did I think to play it back after the first band and just look to see if there was a signal recorded.   doh!  I am just lucky the other three tapes were OK.  :-[
What do you all think about those Sony 90 m's ( or any 90m?) being a main culprit for misloads
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com