Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Creative Labs trade-in deal for broken JB3s  (Read 10379 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Creative Labs trade-in deal for broken JB3s
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 12:42:10 PM »
+t dan
good to know if mine ever has issues
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2005, 11:08:38 AM »
Well, I just received an email from Creative Labs this morning.  It seems that my 2nd JB3 was still under warranty.  So the new refurb is being shipped with NO charges.

My experience so far:

1)  they'll swap JB3s and charge $40.00.  (outside warranty)

2)  they'll swap JB3s and No charge  (warranty still in affect)

I'm guessing on the warranty thing.  Both of my JB3s have been serviced in the last 2 months (bad optical), and I paid $40 for 1 unit, plus $12.00 shipping 2 boxes one way.  $52.00 total.

It sure beats spending $300.00 to replace these units.   ;)

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2005, 11:09:58 AM »
What makes the deal really nice:  I have NO purchase receipts for either of my JB3s and they still took them.

Offline hitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 09:16:28 AM »
What makes the deal really nice:  I have NO purchase receipts for either of my JB3s and they still took them.

Nice! Nice!  :D  IMO, That's a bloody killer deal.  ;D
Thanks spyder! If I could give +T, I'd do so.   
I jumped in and sent mine out. In the email Creative sent me with my RMA#, they actually asked for a purchase reciept.
Well I don't have one, so I sent a note explaining such. I'll post what happens when I get my jb3 back.
AT831s>SPSB1>Denon DTR80P/JB3

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2005, 10:54:44 AM »
I dropped my jb3 yesterday - can get to the CREATIVE startup screen but no further - reset has no effect. I guess I'm next in the replacement/repair chain :(

Man, these things are fragile...
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 11:07:48 AM »

They're not tanks like the V3.  But...then again...you dropped it.  :-X
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline spyder9

• "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 11:11:59 AM »

Wrongo!  Denecke AD20 is a beast.   >:D

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 11:25:50 AM »

Call me Mr Guilty
Mr. Guilty, That's my name
Without a doubt, It's all my fault
I am the one to blame.

This came at the worst possible time - I've got four shows in the next month! I'm borrowing a friend's DAT (Sony M1) in the meantime, but I was really hoping to put the thing thru it's paces.

I borrowed a MiniDisc recorder for last night (Springsteen at Nassau) - let me tell you, feeding the MD a digital signal (AT853>SP Batt Box>AD-20) makes a HUGE difference in the result, as does having the SVU-1 to monitor levels. It's a lot to carry for stealthing, but definitely worth it. I really missed the jb3 when I missed a minute of a song due to a tape flip at the wrong time.

Kid gloves from now on...

Scott
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 02:17:18 PM »
An update - sent my jb3 (40gb) to Creative, arrived there 10/17.

I noticed last Wednesday (10/26) that the RMA record had been updated, and the serial number on the replacement had "20G" in it. I called Creative and they confirmed that a 20G jb3 was scheduled to be shipped this past Friday.

The matter was escalated to a supervisor, who pulled the shipment, ensured that a 40G drive was installed, and advised me that they would update my shipping to 2-day for their mistake. (I tried to get them to throw in an extra battery, but they didn't bite <g>). They also reissued the warranty, so I get 90 days for labor and one year for parts from today.

There was also no issue because I dropped it - they say the drop shouldn't have caused the problem I was getting.

My new jb3 arrived today - battery is charging as I type.

The entire experience with Creative was handled with great professionalism and courtesy - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend their support area (at least the RMA support) to anyone.

Good Job, Creative! ++T

Roving Sign

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2005, 09:15:46 AM »
Wowzer...I will try this also - I bought a refurb off ebay last year - and it really has never worked right...

Do you have to send the battery back??? >:D >:D >:D
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:17:48 AM by Roving Sign »

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2005, 09:40:18 AM »
Wowzer...I will try this also - I bought a refurb off ebay last year - and it really has never worked right...

Do you have to send the battery back??? >:D >:D >:D

LOL - I thought of that before sending it in, but I believe their RMA instructions letter specifically states to include the unit with the battery, and nothing else.

So now I have an extra set of accessories.

Gotta tell you - I had borrowed a Sony D1 DAT from a good friend (and fellow TS member), and while I appreciated the easy stealthing it offered (no external preamp or A/D needed, as the A/D in the DAT is the same as the SBM1), I missed MY rig.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2005, 09:44:00 AM »
I had borrowed a Sony D1 DAT from a good friend (and fellow TS member), and while I appreciated the easy stealthing it offered (no external preamp or A/D needed, as the A/D in the DAT is the same as the SBM1), I missed MY rig.

You've used a Sony PCM-D1 already?!?  With the built-in mics, I'm not even sure it would work well for our purposes.  Or do you mean TCD-D100?
Roland R-05

Offline scoper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2005, 04:32:16 PM »
I had borrowed a Sony D1 DAT from a good friend (and fellow TS member), and while I appreciated the easy stealthing it offered (no external preamp or A/D needed, as the A/D in the DAT is the same as the SBM1), I missed MY rig.

You've used a Sony PCM-D1 already?!?  With the built-in mics, I'm not even sure it would work well for our purposes.  Or do you mean TCD-D100?

Oops... make that a PCM-M1 (the "pro" twin to the TCD100). Nice little DAT, that one. But I'm finally whole, my rig is ready to go for tonight - The Bobs (a great a capella quartet whose voices will serve as the "orchestra" for Rhapsody in Bob - a rearrangement of the Gershwin piece. Also upcoming are Rockapella, Springsteen, the Roches, Loudon Wainwright, and whatever others I can fit in.

My wife doesn't understand this obsession with taping - she doesn't like having to be quiet so as not to interfere with the tape. But considering I spend 1/10th of what others spend on their ultragear, I'm at the low end of the spectrum. Try telling her that...

Scott

Offline hitch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2005, 04:41:49 PM »
I just got off the phone with Creative (my RMA hasn't been updated on website since 10/17.) They basically told me flat out they'd charge me $161.xx to fix the hard drive, as the hard drive test failed... Tried to give me this nice 'offer' about switching to another player, as the jb3 is now obsolete and I'd get a credit for the jb3. I told them flat out to send back my old player, and that $160 fee to replace a Hard drive was fucking ridiculous. I mentioned the $40 deal, and the fact that that was the ONLY reason I had sent it in to begin with. Rep said they changed the policy, and now it's $24.95 and it has to be in warranty (1 year)... something about originally buying the jb3 off of ebay and the creative site/powerseller. :p  Oh- the rep also quoted a motherboard replacement at $110.

Glad I  called THEM 'cause no one bothered to get back to me. Grrrrrrr.   >:(
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 04:44:21 PM by hitch »
AT831s>SPSB1>Denon DTR80P/JB3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2005, 04:58:33 PM »
Oops... make that a PCM-M1 (the "pro" twin to the TCD100). Nice little DAT, that one.

Ah, that's what I figured.  But FWIW, the SBM-1 and M1/D100 do not have the same AD stage.  An excellent post on this matter (not surprisingly) from Todd R over on the old Oade forum, with a couple links to comments by Doug Oade, as well.
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com