Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: No optical signal to jb3  (Read 1908 times)

Offline TeamJa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Lines + Circles
No optical signal to jb3
« on: September 10, 2005, 09:40:56 PM »
well, i've searched the archieves and still have some questions.  i taped a show last night and the rig ran perfect.  i set up to tape the hempfest in missoula this morning and the jb3 was not picking up the optical signal at all.  i could see the red light coming through the cable.  after countless restarting of both the ua-5 and jb3 i just hooked up some rca's>mini.  the signal was pretty weak coming into the jb3 (line in) but there was a signal via analog.  i just said to hell with it and went home.  the questions i have are:

1 - if see a red light through the optical cable, does that mean the ua-5 is providing a signal (DIY digi-mod)

2 - would the optical input on the jb3 be physically loose if the solder came undone?  basically, how would i know if i needed the re-flow?

the jb3 is only a two month old refurb?  thanks everyone...

oh yah, i did buy another optical cable and it didn't work as well...
ADK SC-T > Hydra silver cables > Tascam DR-680 mkii

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: No optical signal to jb3
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2005, 10:13:37 PM »
Do you have another device with optical out (CD or DVD player etc). If so you could eliminate either the JB3 or UA5 as the culprit.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2005, 11:27:39 PM »
Make sure you set the JB3 to "Optical" in the Recording section of the unit. 

If you see the red light from your Opti cable, then yes, the UA5 is doing its job., 

I blew the Optical-in on my JB3.  Seems to be one of the very few problems that happens to these units.  You can send it in to Creative and they'll give you another refurb for $40.00 shipped,

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 09:48:27 AM »
If you see the red light from your Opti cable, then yes, the UA5 is doing its job., 

I think this is not true.  I have a repair job sitting in front of me - the light is on but no audio signal is flowing thru.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline TeamJa

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Lines + Circles
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 02:39:04 PM »
aight...

hooked the jb3 up to the cd player via optical and got a signal!  woo hoo!  therefore, the problem was the ua-5.  i opened it up and what do you know, the solder had come undone...user error.  so, if there is a red light coming through the optical cable, it doesn't mean it's hot.

thanks for all the help
ADK SC-T > Hydra silver cables > Tascam DR-680 mkii

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 01:44:57 AM »
This just happened to me in the middle of a show.  All the sudden right before the encore, the signal dropped, and the red light was coming through the UA5 just fine.  I'm going to test the UA5 and the JB3 tomorrow.

I blew the Optical-in on my JB3.  Seems to be one of the very few problems that happens to these units.  You can send it in to Creative and they'll give you another refurb for $40.00 shipped,
Even if you bought it as a refurb, they'll fix the prob for $40?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 10:24:16 AM »
Even if you bought it as a refurb, they'll fix the prob for $40?
[/quote]

Not exactly. I understand they will exchange your JB3 for another refurbed unit. So if you want anything that's on your's, transfer it before sending the unit in. For more info, see this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49819.0
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 10:26:08 AM by flipp »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com