Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Time to move away from MD recording, and into MP3..  (Read 5360 times)

Offline guitarjosh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Time to move away from MD recording, and into MP3..
« on: November 27, 2005, 09:22:50 PM »
I've owned my Sony MD-R90 for about 2 years now. It's a great little MD recorder (for what I do) and I love it. I mainly use it in my college courses to record the instructor and such, but I also used it for recording jam sessions my old band would have on the fly.

Although the R90 is great for what it does, it has a few downfalls in my book. It is/was the smallest MD recorder on the market when I got it, yet, the introduction of the new mp3 recorders are even smaller and would make it easier to do a stealth recording of a live show. Also, the MD recorder has alot of mechanical noise (the downfall of the r90 being the smallest) if I am recording something realitively quiet, or my mics are close to the machine, that goes onto my recording.

I'm in the market for a mp3 recorder that I can use to record well in all previously said instances (soundboard live audio, mic'ed live audio, stealth mic'ed audio, and jam sessions with my band (sometimes solo acoustic guitar as well). I'd like the recording quality to be on par or better than my R90 and hopefully not cost more than $250. I've also got to invest in some new binaurals so I can't spend all my money in one place.

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Time to move away from MD recording, and into MP3..
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 10:35:08 PM »
mp3's suck, -T
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 10:45:09 PM »
I've owned my Sony MD-R90 for about 2 years now. It's a great little MD recorder (for what I do) and I love it. I mainly use it in my college courses to record the instructor and such, but I also used it for recording jam sessions my old band would have on the fly.

Although the R90 is great for what it does, it has a few downfalls in my book. It is/was the smallest MD recorder on the market when I got it, yet, the introduction of the new mp3 recorders are even smaller and would make it easier to do a stealth recording of a live show. Also, the MD recorder has alot of mechanical noise (the downfall of the r90 being the smallest) if I am recording something realitively quiet, or my mics are close to the machine, that goes onto my recording.

I'm in the market for a mp3 recorder that I can use to record well in all previously said instances (soundboard live audio, mic'ed live audio, stealth mic'ed audio, and jam sessions with my band (sometimes solo acoustic guitar as well). I'd like the recording quality to be on par or better than my R90 and hopefully not cost more than $250. I've also got to invest in some new binaurals so I can't spend all my money in one place.

My advice is stay with the R90 for a little bit longer.  Get a good set of mics first.  Something like AT853 are a good step up from CSBs and will serve you well in the future.

I think something like an Edirol R1 might be a nice replacement, but that is something like $400 (I think), plus you have to buy a flash card.  And it really doesn't buy you much more than you already have with the MD.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:32:14 AM »

Offline guitarjosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 11:52:37 PM »
mp3's suck, -T

not recording to actual mp3. I want one that will record straight to a .wav file and has a decent storage (at least 2 hours of un-interrupted recording). I hate changing out my MD's.

Oh, forgot to mention. I have Core Sound Binaruals right now. They serve the purpose, but I think I could find something a bit better.

Offline guitarjosh

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 12:18:04 AM »
mp3's suck, -T

not recording to actual mp3. I want one that will record straight to a .wav file and has a decent storage (at least 2 hours of un-interrupted recording). I hate changing out my MD's.

Oh, forgot to mention. I have Core Sound Binaruals right now. They serve the purpose, but I think I could find something a bit better.

Nomad JB3.

Lossless recording @ 48/16 or 48/16.  Can also record mp3 if so sesired.  20 GB hard drive though so no reason to ever record in mp3.  They can be found in the Yard Sale right now for ~$200 shipped with two batteries.

Why were they discontinued?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 12:19:42 AM »
mp3's suck, -T

Nomad JB3.

Lossless recording @ 48/16 or 48/16.  Can also record mp3 if so sesired.  20 GB hard drive though so no reason to ever record in mp3.  They can be found in the Yard Sale right now for ~$200 shipped with two batteries.

I think he's going to need a preamp, and optionally, an A/D, right?  Running CSB into the NJB3 isn't going to sound very good.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 12:28:35 AM »
what about those mics stright into one of those MT's
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 12:52:43 AM »
what about those mics stright into one of those MT's

From my experience this is not good (the MT can't take the levels). I used my Low Cost CSB's >1/8" in on the  MT and it overloaded the preamp.

I haven't tried mics > battery box > 1/4 in on the MT, but I understand it works better than 1/8" in.

You'd probably be fairly happy with your CSB's > Battery Box > MT (1/4"  in).

Sound Professionals makes a few adaptors that make it easy to send your CSB's > Battery Box > MT 1/4 in

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-MICROTRACK-MINI-TRS

I haven't tried this yet, so I'm not sure how it would work, but from what I hear it works okay.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 02:00:45 AM »
when i went from mics > bat box > md to njb3, i could instantly tell a difference.

the sound quality isn't top notch, but i don't really see a point in spending money on a new mics and a pre/adc if all you're taping is lectures and spontaneous jam sessions.  i think you'll do just fine.  and with a 3 hour file limit on the jb3, you won't have to worry about "tape flips" so much.

its an easy fix for better sound, and if you want to upgrade your mics, etc - you can do that in the future and the jb3 will still work for ya just fine.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 09:08:12 AM »
Why were they discontinued?

We got lucky with the JB3 as a suitable recorder for our preferences.  It was primarily marketed (and bought) as an MP3 player.  The MP3 player market moves pretty quickly, and Creative has since replaced it with a range of more compact, "slicker" MP3 player options in order to appeal to the ever-changing, ever-in-need-of-the-next-slickest-device MP3 player market.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 06:47:46 PM »
mp3's suck, -T

i was just messing with you josh.... :P

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »

if you are using the csb's with the core sounds batt box then get yourself a JB3 and run it line in, it will work just fine, many people stealth tape with that set up.....

nameloc01

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2005, 05:09:45 PM »
dont turn to the dark side.stay with the mds.check out sonys' newer stuff they have nice units at very affordable prices.
check out www.minidisco.com (very good webstore)

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2005, 06:47:50 PM »

if you are using the csb's with the core sounds batt box then get yourself a JB3 and run it line in, it will work just fine, many people stealth tape with that set up.....

You wouldn't need to pre the mics?  Are the CSBs line level mics?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com