Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Compiling a Software Disc to make a CPU ready for Audio....  (Read 1834 times)

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Compiling a Software Disc to make a CPU ready for Audio....
« on: February 14, 2006, 01:37:01 PM »
Here's what's going on....

I've found that most people that I come across, whether it be folks at shows (not any of you) or my friends around town, have no clue what I'm talking about when they ask me about setting a computer up for audio. I hate telling people that 'I just don't have the time' when they say 'dude, will you come over and set my computer up?'. Honestly, I don't. I don't have the desire either.

Anyway, for that reason and for the sake of having a backup, I'm compiling an all in one audio software disk. All freeware and shareware of course!

I'd like to set this thing up so that I can give the disk to somebody and they can install the software themselves, folder by folder.

Maybe label the folders containing software something like this:

01-playback\
   01-winamp_audio_player\
   02-winamp_plugins\

02-editing\
   01-CDWav\
   02-FLAC\
   03-mkwACT\

03-downloading\
   01-mozilla_firefox\
   02-uTorrent\
   03-SmartFTP\

....and so on. Right now, I'm just kinda brainstorming as to what I should put on this disk and the best order for it to be installed.

Have any of ya'll done this? Am I late to the punch? What should I definitely not leave out?

-B

.....waiting for Skalinder to move this to the Computer Recording Help forum...  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 02:31:15 PM by baustin »

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Compiling a Software Disc to make a CPU ready for Audio....
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 01:56:51 PM »
you could take it a step further, and make an installshield or wise installer package, that basically just fires off all the installers one by one

installshield is not rocket science...you don't need to write code..  it's just a matter of clicking through a bunch of wizards

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:51:32 PM »
Here's what's going on....

I've found that most people that I come across, whether it be folks at shows (not any of you) or my friends around town, have no clue what I'm talking about when they ask me about setting a computer up for audio. I hate telling people that 'I just don't have the time' when they say 'dude, will you come over and set my computer up?'. Honestly, I don't. I don't have the desire either.

Anyway, for that reason and for the sake of having a backup, I'm compiling an all in one audio software disk. All freeware and shareware of course!

I'd like to set this thing up so that I can give the disk to somebody and they can install the software themselves, folder by folder.

Maybe label the folders containing software something like this:

01-playback\
   01-winamp_audio_player\
   02-winamp_plugins\

02-editing\
   01-CDWav\
   02-FLAC\
   03-mkwACT\

03-downloading\
   01-mozilla_firefox\
   02-uTorrent\
   03-SmartFTP\

....and so on. Right now, I'm just kinda brainstorming as to what I should put on this disk and the best order for it to be installed.

Have any of ya'll done this? Am I late to the punch? What should I definitely not leave out?

-B

.....waiting for Skalinder to move this to the Computer Recording Help forum...  ;D

Please add "audacity", open source audio editor.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 04:58:30 PM »
Nero or some cd/dvd burning software.

DVD-Audiofile
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

kskreider

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »
Can't you also use something like Nlite to include a 'tweaked version' of WinXPP.  (minimal extraneous processes?)  Then one could just slap in one bootable DVD that installs tweaked XPP and all of the minimal audio program features.  I would leave any downloading proggies like BT and FTP off my DAW, btw.  File can be moved to the DAW via external drives or an internal network.

EDIT: OF course I am only suggesting that you add WINXPP if you actually own a copy and the DVD is for your own personal use.  I don't, nor ever would, condone ripping illegal OS's.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 05:15:11 PM by DarkStarJedi »

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:10:29 PM »
i didn't get the impression it was for creating DAWs - just for hooking joe schmoe's windows puter up with what he needs to download music.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com