Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My New Mic Cables  (Read 2812 times)

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
My New Mic Cables
« on: February 25, 2006, 12:32:21 AM »
For the past few months I've been pondering what cables I was going to purchase as upgrades from my AM X-Streams. After much thought and discussion with various other tapers I decided to go with a custom 15' pair of Luminous Audio Monarch II's that Tim Stinson from Luminous Audio built for me. A few years back he also built a pair of cables for my mod Nak700's that sound really killer, so I decided to give these a trial run and see what they can do for my MG's. I had the RA XLR's to interface with my V3 so it can remain vertical in my Lowe Pro Nova 4 bag.

They're nice solid contruction, quality silver solder connections, made from very high quality 21-guage, silver plated solid core, 99.997% OFC copper, with mil spec Teflon instulation. He even burned them in on a MOBIE break-in for 100hrs so I could get the max performace right off the bat. I plan to give them a test run tomorrow taping Living Daylights at a mini Martigra festy here in Seattle. I'm hoping they will shine over the AM's I have now (which are pretty decent cables IMO).

LoS  :fish:
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661
Core Sound Stealthy Cardiod mics > Battbox> Tascam DR-7

Former Nak CM300 & CM700 Vet (CP1, CP2, CP3 & CP4 caps), MX-100

Its 420.....24/7.....365!! :-)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: My New Mic Cables
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 02:00:23 AM »
I have heard alot of great things about the luminous stuff from Mark Lynn....look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »
I'm running X-Streams now, and am in the EXACT same position...I want to upgrade, but can't spend $1500 on Excalibur II's, or anything on that level.  Look forward to hearing your report.
Socks are overrated.

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:47:38 PM »
I was suppose to tape LD last night but got stuck working on my truck late and was whipped by the end of the day  :( so I bailed. I have another show next week and will def. post my "opinion" next week. Stay tuned kids  ;D

Sam
Microtech Gefell SMS2000's (M20 & M21 caps) > Luminous Audio Monarch II's or Audio Magic Silvers > MixPre 3
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

cshepherd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 06:32:11 PM »
I'm running X-Streams now, and am in the EXACT same position...I want to upgrade, but can't spend $1500 on Excalibur II's, or anything on that level.  Look forward to hearing your report.

PM Sent

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 10:03:46 AM »

remembering the day when natelsky sold a pair of 15 foot excalibur IIs for 350.....

Offline LeftoverSammy

• Taperssection Member
  • MG's FUCKIN' A!!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 07:35:06 PM »
Ok, I finally had a chance to try the my new cables recently and was pleasantly surprised on the results I pulled. The thing that was most noticeable to my ears was how much tighter the low end was! Very well defined even at very high signal levels, much more so than the AM X-Streams I was running before. There was also a noticeable difference in the high end as well. If I were to attempt to describe it I would say it was silky smooth and not harsh or brittle at all, yet still very well defined/crisp. I didn't notice very much difference in the mids, but IMO the MG's have an amazing mids sound that I really dig.

Now I ran my M21 caps (hypers) into my V3 and was very pleased. Haven't had a chance to run the M20's (cards) yet & can't wait till outdoor festy time this summer as the cards really have this rich, fat low end that was was a little loose at times with the X-Streams. I have high hopes it will tighten up with these new cables.

Thanks again to Tim Stinson from Luminous....you make nice shit!! They sound great!!!   :coolguy:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:36:42 PM by LeftoverSammy »
Grace Designs V3
Marantz PMD661

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com