Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: serious sound quality issues  (Read 6516 times)

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
Re: serious sound quality issues
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2006, 08:32:20 PM »
No EAX effects are enabled while recording

Bought an extender stereo cable, and Ill be damned if everything isnt plugged in all the way.  The rubber around the battery box is minimal, and does not come in contact with the plastic around the jack on the JB3 in any way, it is firmly pushed all the wya in.  I plugged in a extender cable from the battery box, and it snapped firmly all the way into place, and plugged thge mics in the other end, those also plugged firmy into place

I set my mics up, and recorded my PC speakers, once with the JB3 as the recording device, and once with the PC

JB3 settings are line in, 48kHz wav, +12db gain
PC settings are line in, maxed out teh slider under audio properties

Links to my equipment

Mics - http://www.core-sound.com/lcmics/1.php (I have the low cost cardioids)
Battery Box - http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-1 (no bass rolloff)

Here are mp3's of what I recorded. The mics and speakers were in the exact same location for both recordings, and the volume of the speakers was almost exactly the same for both recordings

JB3 clip
PC clip

I had to boost the shit out of both the clips

Is this evidence that maybe my mics are broken? I tested the BB battery, with a voltmeter, putting out 8.9V
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2006, 03:26:50 AM »

Bought an extender stereo cable, and Ill be damned if everything isnt plugged in all the way.  The rubber around the battery box is minimal, and does not come in contact with the plastic around the jack on the JB3 in any way, it is firmly pushed all the wya in.  I plugged in a extender cable from the battery box, and it snapped firmly all the way into place, and plugged thge mics in the other end, those also plugged firmy into place

I set my mics up, and recorded my PC speakers, once with the JB3 as the recording device, and once with the PC

JB3 settings are line in, 48kHz wav, +12db gain
PC settings are line in, maxed out teh slider under audio properties

Links to my equipment

Mics - http://www.core-sound.com/lcmics/1.php (I have the low cost cardioids)
Battery Box - http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-1 (no bass rolloff)

Here are mp3's of what I recorded. The mics and speakers were in the exact same location for both recordings, and the volume of the speakers was almost exactly the same for both recordings

JB3 clip
PC clip

I had to boost the shit out of both the clips

Is this evidence that maybe my mics are broken? I tested the BB battery, with a voltmeter, putting out 8.9V
Do you have access to another pair of mics you could test as a comparison?  If you get a similar response, then you need to think about upgrading.

Regardless, you should consider trying multiple angles, set-ups and the likes during the same show.  You won't get a tape you like, but at least you'll learn how your equipment sounds in various positions and places...trial and error IOW.
Socks are overrated.

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2006, 10:14:54 PM »
bump

Im not going to tape any more shows with my current setup.  Its sounds like garbage and no amount of mic positioning is going to fix it. 

Anyone else have any suggestions?  Im thinking that my mics are fucked, maybe a wire came loose or something, I dunno.

Im going to try to get some CMC-4's (AT853) and run that into my SP battery box line in into the JB3

Is this a known good configuration?

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 10:37:06 PM »
at853's are great if you actually get those and not those sp wanna bes that run with that shitty sp batt box
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline tangerineman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 11:51:36 AM »

This got my attention... :o Is this a known issue? I would have thought the EAX settings playback of a previously recorded track only, not the signal being recorded. Anyone?

Apologies if this is covered in the jb3 faq. I don't believe it is tho.
Open: Nak300s > AD-20 > optical > njb3
Stealth: SP-CMC4s > SPSB-6 > njb3

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 03:15:31 PM »
When did you last replace the battery in the batt box?

Could be a bad 9v... try a different one and see if that changes anything.
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 10:35:07 PM »
I tried 2 different batteries, measured both of them with a voltmeter.  One was reading a little low at arounmd 8.6, but the other one was around 8.9

Both gave the same results, and its the same results as when the battery box was brand new

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2006, 07:41:46 AM »
I think your problem has a common link. I would doubt very highly that both your mics are dead. I think its a plug issue have you check the plug with a meter set onto 1k ohms? Try attaching the red lead to ground on your mics plug, and the black lead to the rind and then to the tip. You should see a resistance of around 500 to 800 ohms if not check the ground on your mics connector. If its not that I suspect the bat box. And if its not that I would check your cable that goes from the bat box to the JB3 by using a cd player to record into the line input.

Chris Church

I hope that helps as a last resourt You can always send it back to SP they are pretty good about this kind of stuff and can tell in an instanant.

bump

Im not going to tape any more shows with my current setup.  Its sounds like garbage and no amount of mic positioning is going to fix it. 

Anyone else have any suggestions?  Im thinking that my mics are fucked, maybe a wire came loose or something, I dunno.

Im going to try to get some CMC-4's (AT853) and run that into my SP battery box line in into the JB3

Is this a known good configuration?

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2006, 09:35:56 PM »
What you really need to do is switch out mics, then switch out batt box.  Process of elimination.  I would put money on the batt box.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2006, 03:58:52 AM »
It was the mics

I got some at853's, recorded a show, and it came out quite well

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2006, 08:11:37 AM »
Maybe you have a bad connection inside the 3.5 mm stereo jack? I would check that out some time even though you already have new mics. Just for interests sake.

It was the mics

I got some at853's, recorded a show, and it came out quite well

Offline nihilistic0

• Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2006, 11:05:45 PM »
Ive gone over just about everything I could.  All connections and soldering jobs were secure, I just figure the mics somehow got fried

O well, they weren't that great anyway, and was looking to upgrade

Offline Geoff G

• Taperssection Regular
  • MMMmm...pretty colors. Pass the tea please.
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2006, 11:57:33 PM »
Ive gone over just about everything I could.  All connections and soldering jobs were secure, I just figure the mics somehow got fried

O well, they weren't that great anyway, and was looking to upgrade
New mics sound like the way to go...
(MK8/MK41/MK4V/MK2 -> KC5/CMC6) or (Neumann U89's)  -> AM Sorcerer -> 2 x Sonosax SX-M2 -> AM Sorcerer -> Mytek 192 -> 744t

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com