Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-4: HDD Slow!  (Read 10542 times)

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • ImageLume Photography
Re: Edirol R-4: HDD Slow!
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 09:13:27 AM »
I've run about 5 shows now, all were running 2 stereo channels at 24/96.  Not even a hiccup.  I've never run 4 mono so can't speak to that, but from a HD bandwidth standpoint it should be the same. 

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »

Ted indicated the 'HDD Slow' issue has only afflicted a handful of units out of hundreds sold (who knows if that's true or not) and they have HDs in stock for replacement.

Pretty lousy sales if true.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 02:11:04 PM »
Update.  My R-4 has sat with Edirol tech support for 4 days now.  I called to check on status since I was told it would only take a day or two to turn it around.  In talking with support, they indicated they could not duplicate the problem.  I asked them how, exactly, they were testing.  The said 4 channels of 24/96.  Okay, never mind I reported the problem occurred when running 24/48.  And in what format, I asked.  2 x stereo.

The support rep, Chris, indicated I must be using it in a vibration-heavy environment.  :banging head: :angry3:

I specifically stated at least half a dozen times in previous calls that the problem only occurs when running 4 x mono, and that it occurs in a zero-vibration environment (my home office, recording dead air).  From here on out, I speak only with Ted at support, since he's the only one with whom I've spoken to actually comprehend the problem.  (Anyone out there experiencing tech problems, I recommend doing the same - I think there are only 2 of 'em in the R-4 tech support group.)

Frustrating...   >:(
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 02:15:10 PM »
Edirol support has redeemed themselves.  Chris called me back after duplicating the error immediately upon running 4 x mono.  He said he doesn't want to bother fixing this one, that they'll simply send me a brand new unit instead (brand spankin' new, not previously refurbed - I asked to make sure).

Fingers crossed the new one exhibits no problems...
Roland R-05

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 02:22:28 PM »
Edirol support has redeemed themselves.  Chris called me back after duplicating the error immediately upon running 4 x mono.  He said he doesn't want to bother fixing this one, that they'll simply send me a brand new unit instead (brand spankin' new, not previously refurbed - I asked to make sure).

Fingers crossed the new one exhibits no problems...

Great news, Brian.  +T

I'm sure you've already thought about this, but you might make sure that Doug's aware of the situation.  I'd hate to see him refuse to mod it since it's a different unit than the one he sold you.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 02:32:16 PM »
I'm sure you've already thought about this, but you might make sure that Doug's aware of the situation.  I'd hate to see him refuse to mod it since it's a different unit than the one he sold you.

Yup, just fired off an email to Doug letting him know the situation and asking for confirmation it won't pose any problems for my future T-mod.  I can't imagine it'll pose a problem.  Once the new unit arrives, I'll make sure Doug has both the old and new serial #s as reference.
Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 03:05:01 PM »
have others who have had problems with this unit experienced this problem with 24/48 x4 mono specifically?  I don't think I have ever run mine that way, allthough I have run 16bit 4x mono and never had a problem.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 03:46:27 PM »
have others who have had problems with this unit experienced this problem with 24/48 x4 mono specifically?  I don't think I have ever run mine that way, allthough I have run 16bit 4x mono and never had a problem.

I think a couple people in the Team R-4 thread tested briefly and indicated no problems.  If the problem I experienced is simply the nature of the beast, it should be easy enough for anyone to test.  Simply run the R-4 in 4 x mono mode at 24/48 and in short order (1-3 minutes for me) you'll get the HDD Slow! error.  Edirol tech support did not think this was normal behavior, so I don't think it's the nature of the beast.
Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 03:50:11 PM »

I think a couple people in the Team R-4 thread tested briefly and indicated no problems.  If the problem I experienced is simply the nature of the beast, it should be easy enough for anyone to test.  Simply run the R-4 in 4 x mono mode at 24/48 and in short order (1-3 minutes for me) you'll get the HDD Slow! error.  Edirol tech support did not think this was normal behavior, so I don't think it's the nature of the beast.

Just seems odd if other's have had the problem but not in the same scenario as you.  I will test mine tonight, but with the new drive it won't be an acurate test.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 04:03:59 PM »
problem not reproducible here, fyi.  i'm 7 minutes in, about to give up.

FWIW i *did* have the problem with this unit -- my second -- the other night while recording some ridiculously loud heavy metal thing (opening set for dinosaur jr.)  i'm not sweating that, as the floor was vibrating pretty hard... and it was also nothing i ever had to hear again.  no issues after padding the bag a little better -- but the next two bands also weren't as loud   :guitarist:  :guitarist:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 05:29:31 PM by sleepypedro »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 04:31:18 PM »
Just for the record, we're talking WAV not BWF at 4xMono right?

Also, I was one of the people who testing this, although I only ran for 5 minutes, but Bri said that was all I needed for him to reproduce.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 05:24:26 PM »
Just for the record, we're talking WAV not BWF at 4xMono right?

Yes, 4 x mono WAV.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 04:02:29 PM »
Woohoo!!  Got a brand spankin' new R-4 in my hands.  Testing now...hopefully it will perform well.
Roland R-05

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 04:08:04 PM »
I love this thing more and more every time I use it. I've pulled more matrixes (matricies? LOL!) in the past three weeks than I did in the previous six months combined. Maybe it's not the cleanest, but it sounds plenty good to me, and it's a joy to run. Last night I had my first chance to take some of the advice laid out in the TS Matrix Guide... I got permission to use the house snakes to run my omnis back to the SBD, so I could nab 4 channels (AUD+SBD) back at the board. Fun times... :)
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline sleepypedro

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2006, 10:09:23 AM »
Woohoo!!  Got a brand spankin' new R-4 in my hands.  Testing now...hopefully it will perform well.

any results yet, brian?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com