Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

HPF and LPF

<< < (2/2)

Kyle:
I use the HPF 2 every once in a while - if I am right by the subs or if it is really windy, and sometime with the km140s in a boomy room...

I like good bass, but sometimes it helps (boomy room with wamr mics/adc)

mfrench:
OK,.... lets bounce an old thread up to the top.

Question,...
I've never used an LPFilter before.  I've recently found an oddity in a recording, an anomaly.  I have no idea what it is, but I do know its not musical.
With LPF, can I just set it at a specified frequency, and make that spike disappear?
Audacity frequency plot suggests 21.1khz peak.  But its down pretty far in the "mix". Still, would like to dump it.

Settings suggestion?

Gutbucket:
Yes, assuming that peak is of long duration, a low pass filter is what you want for correcting this.  If its a single occasional peak, you should probably address the peak separately from the entire recording. 

I'd try setting the LPF for a corner-frequency of around 18kHz or 19kHz and it should knock it down nicely.  If your LPF also has a slope setting (how sharp the cut is, like the Q setting on a parametric filter), you'll probably want to use a slope steeper than 1st or 2nd order (6dB /octave, 12dB/octave).  A 3rd or 4th order slope (18dB/octave, 24dB/octave) will probably knock it down sufficiently without having to shift the corner frequency too low to be effective.  You could probably even go up to 8th order (48dB/octave). Higher order slopes are sharper, so they'll cut the peak more from a higher corner frequency, but the issue with higher order slopes is they can impart phase distortion.  Double check by ear, but it's doubtful you'll hear the filter having much if any audible effect.

mfrench:
Thanks, Lee.

I cannot hear it, even slightly, but, with my tinnitus being predominant, screaming "E" at 12khz,... anything above that gets buried in my head.
I was looking for something else when I found it. It surprised me to see it.  It is throughout the recording.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version