Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam HD-P2 Anyone using one and what's the verdict?  (Read 10647 times)

Offline gusbud1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
Tascam HD-P2 Anyone using one and what's the verdict?
« on: May 29, 2006, 05:29:32 PM »
I am going to be upgrading my equipment and wondering which of the solid state recorders are getting the best marks.  I know the sound devices are out of my league for the time being, but the fostex, tascam, and marantz models are in my price range and I would like some feedback and what people are using and liking.
eathworks sr78(L)>rode nt2a (c-omni)>earthworks sr78(R)>sound devices 302>apogee minime 24/96khz s/pidf>tascam hd-p2

Offline spreetaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Brooklynvibes.com
Re: Tascam HD-P2 Anyone using one and what's the verdict?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 08:25:24 AM »
hd-p2 and marantz pmd-671's are both winners.. ive seen guys running them in the field and have heard nothing but good reviews

i know when i go from a 16 bit flash recorder to a 24 bit one that this will be a tough decision for me :)
My new blog site with live recordings and photography
(Brooklynvibes.com)

Cameras = Digital Rebel XT, XTi
Lenses =Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 
70-200mm f2.8, 24-70mm f2.8
Tokina AT-X 124 (12-24 f/4)

Main Rig = AKG 414's > SD 702
Extra gear = Apogee MiniMe, Sound Devices MP-2, Tascam HD-P2
Stealth = AT853's > BB > Edirol R-09

Playback = Cambridge DVD> Digital Link III > Trio C-100> VR-1's

philb

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 09:40:27 AM »
I've had great success with the Fostex fr-2 (zero problems). The size is the only real drawback to this device. It is slightly larger than the Tascam and Marantz units. However, the fostex is excellent for film/tv production and live recording (SPDIF or EBU/AES digital, the ability to handle all types of media, good stock pre-amp, good S/N ratio, etc.).

Offline gusbud1

• Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 12:01:41 PM »
I know Doug at Oade praises the Fostex, but the size is definatley a drawback.
eathworks sr78(L)>rode nt2a (c-omni)>earthworks sr78(R)>sound devices 302>apogee minime 24/96khz s/pidf>tascam hd-p2

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:46:04 PM »
I've been using the HD-P2 for a few shows now, and it's fantastic.  I've only run S/PDIF into the unit, so I won't comment on how the pre-amp and internal A/D sound, but I will say that it's easy to use, not a single quirk or bug that I've run into, and it's quite reliable.  For me, it was a tough decision between the PMD-671 and the HD-P2.  they are both very similar in size and price and features.  What ultimately pushed me to the HD-P2 were reports of 8 gig CF cards not working properly in the PMD-671.  At this point, I know others have been trying out 8 gig cards, and I'm not sure if the issue is resolved or not.  but that's what swayed me.

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 06:15:59 PM »
both are great but the tascam can use a 8 gb card, so if you want to go with 24/96 i would go with the tascam
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 01:27:41 AM »
The Tascam also does 24/192.  The Fostex will too, but doesn't it only have XLR digital input?  The Marantz only goes to 24/96...though I don't know how many people are even doing 24/192
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 01:44:35 AM by balou2 »
Socks are overrated.

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 03:14:02 AM »
Hi ,
  I  have a Tascam HD-P2...I have taken it to three shows but got shut out all three time....I'll probably grab a Phil show in a month or two to really test it....I have been using it at home testing numerous mic set ups...(LSD2,C4's,AKGC1000 and some AT853's) The unit has performed flawlessly....No lock ups, great battery life, great functionality. It's tough to produce volume loud enough, in my house, to determine the units concert characteristics (sound)...The samples I grabbed sound great.....I run a MixPre in front of it most of the time and I'm pretty happy...In the future I plan to add a V3,which for now the budget does not permit.....I'm waiting to see/hear what Doug has in plan for this unit but I understand he has a stack of 671's to mod first. I hope the mod he has planned makes it a true all in one box...I heard he said that the Tascams line in is really NICE so I'm going to grab some XLR-RCA interconnects to try it out...Hope this help .....

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline gusbud1

• Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 11:28:12 PM »
I appreciate the info. keep the dialog going I am hearing some interesting things.  What about battery solutions for these recorders?  Who sells them, or are the internal options good enough to sustain an active taper? 

philb

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2006, 08:06:37 AM »
The Tascam also does 24/192.  The Fostex will too, but doesn't it only have XLR digital input?  The Marantz only goes to 24/96...though I don't know how many people are even doing 24/192

The fr-2 has both digital input and output via xlr (switchable between spdif or AES/EBU).

I appreciate the info. keep the dialog going I am hearing some interesting things.  What about battery solutions for these recorders?  Who sells them, or are the internal options good enough to sustain an active taper? 

I used an eco-charge EC-90 SLA battery to power my Fostex for several hours. I believe 2300+ maH nickel metal hydride batteries with last two to three hours.

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2006, 04:19:12 PM »
Hi,
   In regards to battery life , since I dont get out much, I do alot of testing at home. I have a Power Runner 12v battery pack and I tested the HD-P2 and MixPre. Both units were powered via a kustom kable from Kind Kables in Kolorado ( sorry I just could'nt resist) ,,,They ran for 9 hours with NO INTERNAL batteries installed. So the next test will be WITH the internal batteries installed......This test was run with phantom power on (MIxPre phantom on HD-P@ phantom power off) and using AT 853 onmis. I just got the mics and have been burning them in.......I expect alot less time with larger mics.....I'm going to run some battery tests with just the HD-P2 and my SP LSD2...just to get come comparative data...I will post the times.

Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline joekar

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
OK
 I ran the HD-P2 with my SP LSD2 from the Power Runner 12v battery and it ran for 9 hours and 23 minutes ...I was suprised, I didn't expect it to last that long...This test was run with NO batteries within the HD-P2.......With the internal batteries (2500mah) i would expect around 13 hours or slightly more......Hope this helps...I'll post more times as I run more tests.....Next up  LSD2>MixPre>HD-P2   with ALL internal batteries installed....

Peace
jk

Offline gusbud1

• Taperssection Member
  • I need more cowbell.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2006, 03:45:03 PM »
Thats some good taping time.  Good to know.

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 08:59:52 AM »
I have the HD-P2 as well.   Did my first recording on June 2nd, soundboard sourced (The Radiators) at 24b/48K.
Sounds fantastic!  Performs flawlessly.  EZ and inuitive UI.     http://www.archive.org/details/rads2006-06-02.sbd.hdp2.flac

Using 8xAA Duracell akalines, the battery meter dropped to ~50% after just a couple of hours, at which point I plugged in the AC adaptor.  The unit transparently switches to the best available power source.  Played back via battery power for at least 2-3 hours afterwards.   Batteries reading just under 9V currently (no pun intended ;), and need replacement obiously.

I'm planning on using KM184s straight to the HD-P2...  I'm new to live digital recording, and esp audience recordings.

What HD-P2 internal batteries are you referring to above that run for 13 hours ?   

And what's the deal w/ Tascam and Frontier Electronics ?  (both names are on the HD-P2).

Thx
Ken
retired

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 10:38:24 AM »
Powerex, Energizer, or Duracell 2500mah AA rechargeable batteries.

The P2 was co-developed by Tascam and Frontier.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com