Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax MINIR82 Press Conference July 4th  (Read 11867 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Sonosax MINIR82 Press Conference July 4th
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2006, 07:09:24 PM »
Word is that you won't be able to run Schoeps active cables in to the MiniR82 either.  It will power 48V phantom for two mic inputs but will not have the 10V needed to run the active cable FET.  They suggested instead running the Schoeps into a Sonosax L/S and then line-out to the MiniR82 line-in.  So for $6000 you still need another box?  I am looking at DPA 4052s or the Schoeps CCMs.  Has anybody heard this thing yet?

Jeff

I have heard a clip of something recorded with it, yep. It was just film dialogue(in German), its intended use. Why would anyone waste money on that thing??

Jeff, do you just "tape" or do you record for income?? Youve got a lot of expensive stuff!

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2006, 08:03:35 PM »
Just a hobbyist getting in deeper and deeper.  I do some pro-bono archiving for a weekly concert series with the bigger gear (you can get plenty of work when you don't charge for it), also fill in for some pro friends when they have conflicts.  But I was hoping that the Sonosax device would be a good all-in-one discrete device.  I have become hooked on 24/96, and am getting by okay with the Sony D1 and an MMA6000.  But there's always a new toy.

Jeff

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2006, 08:11:01 PM »
But I was hoping that the Sonosax device would be a good all-in-one discrete device.  I have become hooked on 24/96, and am getting by okay with the Sony D1 and an MMA6000.  But there's always a new toy.

Jeff:

Teddy will bear this one out, if you really want an all in one box that has multiple phantoms on it, then you really don't have tons of choices. You either have the Zaxcom Deva IV or V (don't waste the money on the V), or the Aaton Cantar. I went with the Deva IV and haven't regretted it one bit.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

RebelRebel

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2006, 08:40:09 PM »
Yeah, the DEVA is really slick. I used them for jobs earlier this year(matthews passion, haydn creation, monteverdi marienvesper)..very easy to use too.

But I was hoping that the Sonosax device would be a good all-in-one discrete device.  I have become hooked on 24/96, and am getting by okay with the Sony D1 and an MMA6000.  But there's always a new toy.

Jeff:

Teddy will bear this one out, if you really want an all in one box that has multiple phantoms on it, then you really don't have tons of choices. You either have the Zaxcom Deva IV or V (don't waste the money on the V), or the Aaton Cantar. I went with the Deva IV and haven't regretted it one bit.

Wayne

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2006, 09:33:23 AM »

Jeff:

Wayne

I'd settle for two phantom powered inputs, or better yet a binder to a Schoeps active cable like the LemoSax preamp has, but the size of LemoSax as well.  A Deva or Cantar would be nice, but I'm happy so far with the SD722, which is also too big for some uses.  It is the pocketable form factor of the MiniR82, with the Sax name and reputation, that attracted me.

Jeff

Offline wbrisette

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 09:47:44 AM »
A Deva or Cantar would be nice, but I'm happy so far with the SD722, which is also too big for some uses.  It is the pocketable form factor of the MiniR82, with the Sax name and reputation, that attracted me.

I was just the opposite, the 744 didn't have enough preamps for me. Which is why I started looking around for other options. Honestly, there isn't a slouch in the group (Aanton, Zaxcom, Sound Devices, or Sonosax) that we're talking about. Over the past few years I don't think there has been a single Academy Award won by a sound mixer that hasn't been done on either the Cantar or Deva, and Zaxcom has an Oscar for technology sitting it's office, so for me it's not a reputation thing. All the companies we're talking about qualify as cream of the crop. Where you do have legit issues is size. If you don't like the size of the 722, then none of the other options are going to cut it for you, except the Sonosax. If I remember correctly though, they have a lot of pigtails coming out of the device, so I'm not sure how much you really gain by having a ton of cables all hanging out of a small device vs. having them all plugged into a unit.

Wayne
Mics: Earthworks SR-77 (MP), QTC-1 (MP)

Editing: QSC RMX2450, MOTU 2408 MK3, Earthworks Sigma 6.2

Offline Sam Lord

• Taperssection Newbie
Sonosax 8 CHANNEL MINIR82 now $4800
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2006, 12:17:54 AM »

See:
http://www.libermansound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=79

...I was just the opposite, the 744 didn't have enough preamps for me...  ... If you don't like the size of the 722, then none of the other options are going to cut it for you, except the Sonosax. If I remember correctly though, they have a lot of pigtails coming out of the device, so I'm not sure how much you really gain by having a ton of cables all hanging out of a small device vs. having them all plugged into a unit...Wayne
Same here--why doesn't anybody do an *sensible* 8ch bit bucket?  With all the Firepod/Ensemble/Traveler sales, what is the holdup with the stupid recorder??  And I *don't* mean a laptop--I want it stable.  This is still a huge chunk of cash but nothing is in the same league with this new Sonosax regarding price, size, and capacity AFAIK.  I'll use my own pres and Mytek ADC.  I spoke with a kind listener (Wade) at iZ about this for half an hour today.  Comments?   

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com