Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Random Clicks in my Recording (I think its a JB3 issue)  (Read 3205 times)

Offline seekup40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Random Clicks in my Recording (I think its a JB3 issue)
« on: August 22, 2006, 08:31:48 AM »
So I have taped a few DMB shows this summer and have noticed some random clicks throughout the last few. I thought it was my optical cable so I bought a new one of those and it turns out I have some of the same random clicks. I believe I have the clicks that people are talking about in this thread with a JB3:    http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=40999.0

Here is a mp3 from one of the shows where I noticed a click or two
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=ED435A353828B19D

I use cool edit pro for post and I know it has a pop/click eliminator, does anyone have any experience with this? I see they want you to put a value for sensitivity and discrimination and a few other things.

If anyone could be of any help I would greatly appreciate it, I would hate to have these what I think are pretty solid recordings go to waste.

thanks
Chris

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Random Clicks in my Recording (I think its a JB3 issue)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 09:30:45 AM »
Reformat the drive. In my experience the pop/click fixers will find so many errrors, that it's difficult to use effectively.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline seekup40

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 01:29:09 PM »
Reformat the drive. In my experience the pop/click fixers will find so many errrors, that it's difficult to use effectively.
Reformat the JB3 drive? I bassicaly do that before every show and am still getting having this click problem.

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 04:34:45 PM »
Reformat the JB3 drive? I bassicaly do that before every show and am still getting having this click problem.

Do you do a disc clean up or a reformat? In my experience the clean up will not fix the problem, the reformat will. If that doesn't fix it, I think you're screwed(ie the drive is no bueno).
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline seekup40

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 06:35:29 PM »

Do you do a disc clean up or a reformat? In my experience the clean up will not fix the problem, the reformat will. If that doesn't fix it, I think you're screwed(ie the drive is no bueno).
I did both the disc clean up and reformat

Offline newscane

• Taperssection Member
    • somuchtosay.net
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2006, 10:09:27 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not hearing any clicks in that clip...

I taped the FL DMB shows, recording to a JB3, and during ABI>Two Step at WPB N2 (the end of my run), I noticed a lot of clicks/pops.  I used Audacity's click remover on parts of it, but couldn't help it all.  Not sure what the source of the problems is.  If you want to compare, my source is up on dreamingtree right now...
Current rig: Avantone CK-1 > UA-5 > DR-100mk11
Retired: JB3

My (DMB) shows: http://www.dmbexchange.com/list.php?user=newscane
My website: http://www.somuchtosay.net

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 04:32:35 PM »

Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 05:34:53 PM »

me neither.  Maybe it is a sector boundry thing and the flac'ing fixed it?  I'm just using cheesy computer speakers at work right now though so that may be part of my problem.
     I had some clicking problems when I was running external batt > car adaptor > jb3 and pre > analog in on jb3.  Never a problem going digi in though.  What exactly are you running?

matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 08:55:22 PM »
I noticed some weird noises that were almost like clicks in one of my recent recordings.  I'll have to give that reformat a try. 
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 11:34:20 AM »
I thought I heard a click at the 0:01 mark, but I think it's just a percussion hit.  And I thought I heard another at the 0:18 mark, but...not sure.  What I definitely hear throughout the clip:  distortion, as if the mics or analog inputs are overloading.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2006, 11:43:13 AM »
I thought I heard a click at the 0:01 mark, but I think it's just a percussion hit.  And I thought I heard another at the 0:18 mark, but...not sure.  What I definitely hear throughout the clip:  distortion, as if the mics or analog inputs are overloading.
yup... pulled out the ety's and it was pretty obvious.  the fist one seems to be on the left side and the second one more to the right.  Definately distorted throughout.  Could just be a clip too.  Wav looks normal and levels are actually low.  Clicks aren't as obvious as the overall distortion assumably due to the mics.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 04:31:17 PM »
Could possibly be a loose input jack on the JB3 itself?
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com