Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tascam hd-p2 pad  (Read 9597 times)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
Re: tascam hd-p2 pad
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 04:49:30 PM »
Ken,

Do you always use the -20 pad for SBD recordings?
Yes.  Sorry for the delay, was out for a while...

Another observation about the -20db pad.  I recorded Max Creek the other night, 30' from stage, using my KM184's ORTF.  I left the -20db pad engaged, and recorded the first set w/ levels around 8 on the dial.

2nd set, I turned off the -20db pad, and recorded w/ levels around 4. 

Set 2 sounds noticably better than Set 1.   Besides the possibility that the PA was adjusted better, the only difference was not decreasing input and then increasing levels.  Seems to make sense that the Set II method would be better.

Any comments ?

/Ken

That's the way I normally run:  AKG 480 > Tascam.  No need for a pad when running direct.   The Tascam can handle it.  But defnitely use the pad if you're running shotguns directly into the P2.

This week, I'm running the SD MP2 in front of the Tascam, so I'm gonna try XLR-IN, -20 pad, and see how it sounds.  I gonna try a unity of 5 on the Tascam and use the MP2 to trim out the levels.  The show will be Gov't Mule in Albany, NY  Can't wait.  Keepin' my fingers crossed.

Offline KenH

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 08:39:59 AM »
I'm test driving a V3 tonight at Gov't Mule in Worcester.   KM184s>V3>Tascam HD-P2. 
The friend who's selling it tells me I need one after he heard a Radiators show I recorded direct.
I like the ADC of the P2, but am curious about the results I'll get using an external preamp, esp the V3.

/Ken
retired

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 09:42:34 AM »
I'm test driving a V3 tonight at Gov't Mule in Worcester.   KM184s>V3>Tascam HD-P2. 
The friend who's selling it tells me I need one after he heard a Radiators show I recorded direct.
I like the ADC of the P2, but am curious about the results I'll get using an external preamp, esp the V3.

/Ken

are you going to go S/PDIF from the V3?  or analog out?  and if you go analog out, are you going to go XLR in with the -20 dB pad?  or are you going to use XLR > RCA cables to go Line-In to the HD-P2?

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 10:14:55 AM »
Jason,

I'm gonna try out:  SD MP2 > Tascam at Mule's show in Albany tomorrow.

Line-OUT (XLR) > Line-IN (XLR), -20 pad engaged

I'll report back here on what I think. 

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 03:15:26 PM »

/Ken

are you going to go S/PDIF from the V3?  or analog out?  and if you go analog out, are you going to go XLR in with the -20 dB pad?  or are you going to use XLR > RCA cables to go Line-In to the HD-P2?

Planning on going V3 S/PDIF out to HD-P2 S/PDIF IN. ie using the V3's ADC...

/Ken
retired

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2006, 03:48:24 PM »

/Ken

that's what I've always done, and I've been very happy with the results...
I think the V3's A/D is a lot more relaxed and natural sounding at 24 bit, compared to how the V3 A/D sounds at 16 bit with the ANSR dither...

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2006, 09:16:46 PM »

/Ken

/Ken

Excellent results, wow!   I think I really like this Lunatec V3.   Seems less "whooshy" compared to direct, more robust, and handled the high volume and low end better.     I'd like to share the recording, but other than mailing cd's, Mule is not on LMA/archive.org, and I can't get BT to do anything better than 2K :-(

It came out despite the boomy place (Palladium in Worcester), and despite the fact that the guy selling said to use leave ANSR on - turns out this dithers the 24 bit sample to 16 bit recorders - DAT, CD, etc. D'oh!  At least i figured it out first time out; current owner was like, wow good research ;-)  But I had the P2 set to 24/48 (same as the V3), so  I wonder if I resampled the V3 16-bit out at 24 bit!  I then dithered back to 16 bit to burn to CR/R.  Yikes!  Still sounds excellent though.  Capturing 24 bit might just be 256 times better.

/Ken

retired

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 06:44:36 AM »
Excellent results, wow!   I think I really like this Lunatec V3.   Seems less "whooshy" compared to direct, more robust, and handled the high volume and low end better.     I'd like to share the recording, but other than mailing cd's, Mule is not on LMA/archive.org, and I can't get BT to do anything better than 2K :-(

It came out despite the boomy place (Palladium in Worcester), and despite the fact that the guy selling said to use leave ANSR on - turns out this dithers the 24 bit sample to 16 bit recorders - DAT, CD, etc. D'oh!  At least i figured it out first time out; current owner was like, wow good research ;-)  But I had the P2 set to 24/48 (same as the V3), so  I wonder if I resampled the V3 16-bit out at 24 bit!  I then dithered back to 16 bit to burn to CR/R.  Yikes!  Still sounds excellent though.  Capturing 24 bit might just be 256 times better.

/Ken

glad you liked the V3, it is an excellent piece of gear.  unfortunately, if you had the ANSR light on, the V3 was only output 16 bit data, so even though the HD-P2 recorded it to a "24 bit" file, the last 8 bits are just filled with zeroes and act as place-holders.  you essentially used more disk space to record a 16 bit file.  your best bet is to just truncate off the last 8 digits to give yourself a 16 bit file.  no need to apply dither again, because the data has already had dither applied to it (i.e. the ANSR dither in the V3).

the good news is, as happy as you are with the V3 now, when you really run it at 24 bit, you'll enjoy it that much more. :)

Offline KenH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 09:13:25 AM »
the good news is, as happy as you are with the V3 now, when you really run it at 24 bit, you'll enjoy it that much more. :)

You got that right! :-)
retired

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »

/Ken

glad you liked the V3, it is an excellent piece of gear.  unfortunately, if you had the ANSR light on, the V3 was only output 16 bit data, so even though the HD-P2 recorded it to a "24 bit" file, the last 8 bits are just filled with zeroes and act as place-holders.  you essentially used more disk space to record a 16 bit file.  your best bet is to just truncate off the last 8 digits to give yourself a 16 bit file.  no need to apply dither again, because the data has already had dither applied to it (i.e. the ANSR dither in the V3).

I ran MG200>V3>HD-P2 at 24/96 for the Nate Wilson Group show at the Stone Church last Sat. nite and it came out killer, I love this setup.

One side question, has anyone here ever recorded higher than 96Hz in stereo on their HD-P2? I use a Transcend 8 gb card and my speed test says it will only record in mono over 96Hz. I was wondering if anyone had ever successfully recorded in 24 bit stereo in sample rates over 96Hz.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2006, 06:53:09 PM »
i have a transcend 8 gig card, and mine tested OK for stereo @ 192... i record @ 24/88.2, however, so i havent tested in the field, yet...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Myco

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2006, 02:26:50 PM »
i have a transcend 8 gig card, and mine tested OK for stereo @ 192... i record @ 24/88.2, however, so i havent tested in the field, yet...

hmm... could there be variability card to card for this manufacturer??? I would think/hope that they would only vary from amnufacturer to manufacturer.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2006, 06:35:34 PM »
mine is the transcend 8gig 120x

-macdaddy ++

Offline Myco

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2006, 08:34:51 PM »
mine is the transcend 8gig 120x

I have the same card.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2006, 08:36:49 PM »
weird.

terrapinj had an issue with his in his 722, yet he bought one 'cos we used mine a bunch of times before in that same machine, and had no problems whatsoever...

-macdaddy ++

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com