Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Microtrack Appreciation Thread  (Read 7663 times)

Offline scoper

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Microtrack Appreciation Thread
« on: October 23, 2006, 03:45:28 PM »
I've had my MT since March - taped maybe 20 shows. Never an issue with it not caused by human error.

Runs great with my AT853 thru the SP battery interface which runs the input through the 1/4" jacks. Mic preamp isn't bad, unless it's a dead quiet show, in which case an outboard preamp is a good idea. Meters are easy to use once you get used to them, buttons are easy to find in the dark.

I don't mind the 2GB limit - I just find a good spot to hit the rec button twice - five seconds at most. I don't run digi-in, so I can't comment on usage as a bit bucket.

The ONLY real nit is battery life, and with my powerrunner 2200 I get a total of nine hours starting with both fully charged. I'd like a smaller batter pack that can use regular alkalines, but I can live without.

For all  the complaints heard in these forums about this and that, I've had nothing but positive experiences.
AT853U cardioid (low sens mod)| Countryman B3 Omni (low sens mod) > CA-UGLY II > Sony PCM-M10

Former: Sony MiniDisc/JB3/MicroTrack/R-09HR

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Microtrack Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »
...zero problems as a bit bucket from 1.2.3 to current 1.4.3.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 08:48:44 PM »
lol, not a lot of responses. Not feeling the love are we? :)
j/k! :D

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 08:51:19 PM »
Using as a bit bucket.  No problems. 
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006, 08:57:30 PM »
Using as a bit bucket.  No problems.

Yup, same here.  Well, used, anyway, but not since I picked up my R-4.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hijoq

• Taperssection Newbie
    • My trading website
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 03:32:58 AM »
Taped many shows since march 2006 and never had a problem. Works great.
DPA4061s + MPS6030 + Edirol R09/Tascam DR2D

Offline cybermansrev

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 04:40:28 AM »
I'll stick up for this piece of kit as well, served me well for past 6/12. Only problems have been media related, serves me right for using a microdrive.

Offline shruggy1987

• Taperssection Member
  • Team Ithaca
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 04:59:27 AM »
I've had my MT since November '05 and it has never once given me a single problem.  I've used it as mic/line in and now I use it as a bit bucket.  I have no complaints whatsoever.  I run this unit until it dies!

SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 (coax out) > M-Audio Microtrack
SP LSD2 > bm2 UA-5 > MacBook Pro

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 07:24:06 AM »
Only had one issue with this device ever and it very well might have been my fault.

Dozens of shows taped with it since January of this year.  Most of them S/PDIF but a handful using the 1/4" inputs.  Always works great.

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 07:55:51 AM »
I will also give props to the MT. Sure there were some growing pains, just like any piece of gear, but it runs like a champ for me.  Lots of haters out there with nothing better to do, but hate on it or they just spew to get their post count up  :P
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline branas

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 10:14:48 AM »
No problems here either  :)
Mobile - C414B-XLS/ST->V3->744T
Home/Studio - Various Mics->RNP/Vintech Dual72/Focusrite OctoPre->Digi002->ProToolsLE

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 10:25:46 AM »
no probs with mine both coax and 1/4
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 01:46:20 PM »
Anyone know if the MT came with any warranties? It just occured to me that usiing a $400 item that is meant to be ported around is quite a gamble.

Offline coloartist

• Trade Count: (13)
  • MGoldey -"you can shove those mics up your ass
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 03:36:23 PM »
Anyone know if the MT came with any warranties? It just occured to me that usiing a $400 item that is meant to be ported around is quite a gamble.

I have no idea what that means. Ported around.

Mine has worked great. Only problem was with Firmware 1.3.3, and a Transcend CF card the MT didn't like.

Works great with my Kingston cards.
mk4>Kwon/din a/din>kc5>cmc6>kindkables XLR>788T
mk22>Kwon/NOS>kc5>cmc6>kindkablesXLR>788t                                                     
Canon XH-A1 Sony AX100                       
Samsung Backlit LED 55">Pioneer Elite SC-27>Snell Acoustics E.5  Series

Offline svenkid

• Take Time to Listen!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 04:34:55 PM »
all worked well. minus user errors, until the last show, where I got digi static from the recording that was NOT present on the jb3 back up.Im still going to be running it tomarrow night though...the plan is to use it exclusively as a 24 biter.
Seriously, the band makes the music. Tapers just point mics in the right direction and hit "record".

That's good to hear!  The last patcher I had complained about my AKGs, fluffed schoeps for about 15 minutes, stayed patched in, and farted on me all night long.
rig: Neuman u89s > Lunatec V3 > MT(24)/JB3(16)
http://db.etree.org/svenkid

Um, in my room, one seam is a little off and I stare at it constantly. It's, like, destroying me.

Offline jimi56

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 09:53:38 AM »
Only used mine twice so far but love it as a bit bucket.  Only problem i had happened to be the USB cable that came with the MT not the MT itself, so so far so good :)

Rig: Samson C02s > UA5 > MT24/96

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 11:36:35 AM »
I have owned one since they first came out. I have used just about every configuration, although I don't really go 24 bit since I listen to CD's. I think it is a great little machine, and I have a boatload of concerts all far superior to my cassette and MD days, and the machine is far easier to use too. (hey with cassette I had a habit of accidentally recording over a set, and those MD media changes took forever). I was pretty lucky and really never had any issues when the unit wason the older firmwares. Thanks to the threads here I was pretty careful to develop a routine of turing it on and off that allowd me to record problem free. The only problems I have encountered have been with CF cards that are not fully compatable.

Although I now have a few CF cards that work well, my Seagate 5gb microdrive, is so compatable, I have never had one issue using it. I don't have to reformat or anything, it really works well. The drawback there is battery power, but I use the small USB 4AA 5v battery pack, so it really is not an issue. Even in super stealth, I put the MT in my phone case, and have the battery pack in my pocket.

I do have a 4gb kingston CF card now, so maybe I'll retire the seagate.

The bottom line on the deck for me has been excellent service and results.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline EYES

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 06:48:27 PM »
i have a great appreciation for my mt. only problem has been human era as stated. md player went dead 1-1-06 at radiators show. taper next to me said try the mt. very happy, picked up a rode nt4 mic and been off and running since phil &friends show in philly  winter  06. back-up 4 aa battery pack with full charge on mt gives about 6 to 7 hrs of life.
ADK sc-t, ca-11 cards, omni.                                                   
 ua-5, ca-9100
pmd660, mt,
ALWAYS GRATEFUL,EYES

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 04:41:41 PM »
Cliff told me I should post something here, so here it goes.

My MT works okay.

>:D

Actually I've had my MT for over a year and like everyone else about the only time I've had problems they turned out to be user error. 

After having the MT for a while I became comfortable enough with it to get rid of my NJB3 and my M1.  I prefer to run it as a bit bucket but have run it fully stand-alone with my AKG 393's and in stealth mode with its t-mic, which given what it is works amazingly well.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:11:47 AM by rodeen »
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline soul

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 08:46:20 PM »
I got my MT this past summer I did a few shows with it it worked great any problems were again do to human error
The main test was a Fesival I did a few weeks ago I had great sucsess with it
Makes me wonder what to do with that D-8 I can't see ever going back to a dat again. Mind you what I just typed may haunt me
soul

Offline mschiff

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2006, 10:45:43 AM »
Zero problems here using it as a bit bucket.

-- Martin

Offline paulcargill

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2006, 04:11:24 PM »
me too: firmware has settled down and as a bit bucket works reliably for me.. ext battery pack essential!

P

Offline bewildered

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2006, 12:21:25 AM »
ported around, like transported around. I think its kinda shady they charge $400 for an item and dont give any warranties considering it was meant to be used out and about. I mean, you drop the thing, and thats like setting a wad of $20's on fire. 

Offline eclark

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • eclark @ archive.org
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2006, 10:27:24 AM »
i just bought one and i cant be more excited. this will be the first equipment that i have bought so i really dont have any experience. i cant imagine that it will be bad. im really pumped!
akg 460b + ck61 (-10db) > MixPre-D > Sony PCM M10

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2006, 10:49:12 AM »
ported around, like transported around. I think its kinda shady they charge $400 for an item and dont give any warranties considering it was meant to be used out and about. I mean, you drop the thing, and thats like setting a wad of $20's on fire.

Last I checked, it's still available at GC for low $300s + tax.  At any rate, whaddya expect for a bottom-budget recorder?  There simply is no other alternative 24-bit bit-bucket in its price range.  Want something more robust if you're a clutz?  Pony up the cash.  It's that simple.  Oh, and this is still the MT Appreciation thread, so enough with the grumblings.

That said, I still have my stable, reliable MT2496 for sale in the Yard Sale.  Someone could pick up a solid 24-bit bit bucket at a solid price.  ;D  I'm gonna miss it...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2006, 11:48:16 AM »
Wasn't there a limited warr ? I am pretty sure there is ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline JoeKiller

• Taperssection Member
  • Duo!
    • JoeKiller.com
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006, 01:53:56 PM »
all worked well. minus user errors, until the last show, where I got digi static from the recording that was NOT present on the jb3 back up.Im still going to be running it tomarrow night though...the plan is to use it exclusively as a 24 biter.

I would guess that you bumped the S/PDIF cable.  I have heard that when it gets bumped.

My Microtrack works great with the newest firmware.  Over 20 concerts, Two festivals, full blast recording, no problems.
spc4>mme>mt

Archive List

Offline jhirte

• At ease atleast yeah.
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006, 06:38:24 PM »
good as bit bucket. with 1/4" and phantom, its freakin scary.

Offline Chris K

• Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 08:51:39 AM »
i am very plesaed with the mt. great as a 24 bit-bucket, and the 1/4" analog ins work well when stealthing.

the only time my mt has issues is when i lend it to someone else   :P
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline bayouav

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 03:32:59 PM »
Using my MT with 1/4'" input and an AT822 flawlessly for 4 months every Wednesday and Thursday night for a local group. Question, when using  the S/PDIF input are you required  to record at 24bit or can you still record at 16bit? Trying to replace a phantom unit and pre-amp/ AD converter with one box, because I love the MT. currently running MBHO603 > PS2 > AD-20 > D8

Offline Gizby

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2006, 03:59:24 PM »
Using my MT with 1/4'" input and an AT822 flawlessly for 4 months every Wednesday and Thursday night for a local group. Question, when using  the S/PDIF input are you required  to record at 24bit or can you still record at 16bit? Trying to replace a phantom unit and pre-amp/ AD converter with one box, because I love the MT. currently running MBHO603 > PS2 > AD-20 > D8
You can run either one.
Mics: DSP mod Oktava MK012s, CAD E100S (2), Studio Projects C4s, SP-CMC-2, Polsen OLM-20
Preamps/BB: Sound Devices MixPre, SP-SPSB-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR‑05
Video: Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4

Team SoCal

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 05:38:44 PM »
Have had my unit for about 2 yrs?, got it very early after release as an upgrade/replacement for my T8 and Coresound binaurals - recorded about 10 shows with the coresunds and the MT.  I've since made the investment in some full size mics (AKG 391's) input in the TRS, but have only taped about 5 shows with the new mics.  Some of the recordings have come out shockingly good, and one has made its way onto my mp3 player as my favorite version of a particular song!

My only issue now is pure user - between the H/M/L settings and 27db boost on/off the MT, coupled with the roll off/presence/pad switch on the mics, I still haven't figured out wich combinations are best in which circumstances!  Once I dial it in right I'm sure I'll be able to outdo my current best recording, which interestingly was done with the Coresounds, not the AKGs (just happened to hit the settings right for that one).  Sad that my problem is too many options...-grin-

Off topic, I'll be recording a friend's band in 2 weeks and am interested in possibly going to an offboard preamp or preamp/ADC - given my mikes and a desire to spend something south of $500, any suggestions?

Thanks!

AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

Offline NJFunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 12:56:20 PM »
Have had my unit for about 2 yrs?, got it very early after release as an upgrade/replacement for my T8 and Coresound binaurals - recorded about 10 shows with the coresunds and the MT.  I've since made the investment in some full size mics (AKG 391's) input in the TRS, but have only taped about 5 shows with the new mics.  Some of the recordings have come out shockingly good, and one has made its way onto my mp3 player as my favorite version of a particular song!

My only issue now is pure user - between the H/M/L settings and 27db boost on/off the MT, coupled with the roll off/presence/pad switch on the mics, I still haven't figured out wich combinations are best in which circumstances!  Once I dial it in right I'm sure I'll be able to outdo my current best recording, which interestingly was done with the Coresounds, not the AKGs (just happened to hit the settings right for that one).  Sad that my problem is too many options...-grin-

Off topic, I'll be recording a friend's band in 2 weeks and am interested in possibly going to an offboard preamp or preamp/ADC - given my mikes and a desire to spend something south of $500, any suggestions?

Thanks!

Look for a performance modded (Oade P, P+, T, T+, W, or W+ or Busman bm2p+) UA-5 in yard sale.  That would be ideal for the 391s.

Offline landshark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 05:28:18 PM »
Thanks NJFunk!  I was leaning that way, maybe a UA5 W+.....
AKG 461's / 463's OR Senn MKH 8040's > MR1000 (Busman mod) or Shure FP24 (aka MixPre) > MR1 (open)
Coresounds Binaurals > CChurch 9100 > MR1 OR AKG CK1x/2x/3x > Deneke P20 > MR1 (low profile)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.328 seconds with 58 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com