Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

If you had to choose between these two mic's which would you grab for your everyday rig

Peluso cemc6
20 (48.8%)
MBHO 603/KA 200
21 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: MBHO or Peluso ?  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
MBHO or Peluso ?
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:02:50 PM »
Just curious what other's opions are here. I am on the fence for my next purchase
 Please give a short note of why you like or dislike each set
                          Thanks
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: MBHO or Peluso ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 09:34:31 PM »
Peluso's.  Better all around sound, to my ears.  Nice lows, highs.  Very accurate, transparent.  MBHO's just sound a tad on the bright side with a looser, sloppier low end.  I do think the ho's are a nice mic, with it's own sonic characteristics, just not paritcularly for me.  Plus, price is half as much.  Loved mine every minute I had them. 

Guess though it depends on your ears.  What I think sounds pleasing, you may not.  I have heard many a fine mbho show.  Do a search on the archive, should be plenty of sources there.

Here are a couple of my Peluso sources if you want a sonic reference.

http://www.archive.org/details/phil2006-06-18.schoeps.peluso.35292.sbeok.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/pgroove2006-08-25..flac

http://www.archive.org/details/db2006-04-30.ck4.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/lotus2005-11-12..flac

These are all with different pre and/or cap pairings, both in and outdoor to give a idea of the sound.  May or may not be for you.  I certainly dig them  :)

Edit to add:  I just noticed the shcoeps reference in my P & F show.  Don't know why the uploader decided to throw that inconsistency in there but anyways, the show was all mine, I just didn't upload.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 09:36:16 PM by stirinthesauce »

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 09:51:55 PM »
nice thanks for the info
 I have been doing a lot of listening on the lma lately of both mics most of which were your sources actually.

The only bad thing I have heard/read about the mbho's are that their lowend suffers especially in loud situations.

and you are right Peluso's kit's are new $679 bin on ebay new from the factory matched

Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 09:59:51 PM »
nice thanks for the info
 I have been doing a lot of listening on the lma lately of both mics most of which were your sources actually.

The only bad thing I have heard/read about the mbho's are that their lowend suffers especially in loud situations.

and you are right Peluso's kit's are new $679 bin on ebay new from the factory matched

Smart move listening to alot of different shows.  I have heard some spectacular shows with mbho's so I'm not slamming those mics.  I just prefer the Peluso's.  And when the fig 8 and actives become available (and my finances loosen up) I will probably pick up another set. 

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 10:08:00 PM »
I would say the Peluso gives ya more bang for your $$$ but if ya have the $$$ for MBHO ya might want to look for a pair of 480's used for a little less and then by caps extra caps when ya can afford them. Just my two cents being if I gave up my LD's and went to SD's I would go 480's or mod 460's.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:37:20 PM »
480's are my ideal choice and if I do find a pair for $700 which is my budget right now I will snatch them up
in a heart beat!
 The other 2 mics  were my next available options

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 10:40:34 PM »
Go here:

http://nickspicks.com/

Reviews of both.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 10:41:01 PM »
480's are my ideal choice and if I do find a pair for $700 which is my budget right now I will snatch them up
in a heart beat!

Nice hope to see ya and meet ya this time at HSMF '07!!!
 :D
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 10:51:35 PM »
Yeah they just announced it will be in Quincy this year and the sherrif dept decided to lay off too!
 I'm curious to see what the line up will be.

High Sierra Music Festival will be held in Quincy next year from July 5-8, tix will go on sale Monday Dec. 11 & the Sheriff's Department has acquiesced to all the promoters' demands to stop the BS that's screwed w/ the fest's vibe the last few years!!!!!

Plumas County Sheriff Terry Bergstrand even wrote a letter to fest attendees that can be read at http://www.highsierramusic.com/uploads/PDFs/sheriff_letter.pdf.  Major points of his commitment include a citizen Walk-Along program; fewer patrols, deputies on-site & at the entrance; more deputies around the perimeter; moving law enforcement headquarters off-site; removal of the SWAT vehicle; officers staying on main pathways only; on-site custody of over-intoxicated folks (instead of the county jail); and daily briefings with promoters in order to immediately address any issues.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 10:56:29 PM »
Go here:

http://nickspicks.com/

Reviews of both.

I actually just read those last night. Good reviews

Offline ehren

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Of course this is a taper ticket!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 10:58:04 PM »
The only time I would pick MBHO over Peluso is if I was recording purely acoustic music; MBHO's shine their best on acoustic stuff. They have a midrange smear at high db that makes them a poor choice for rock/PA taping, YMMV. I have owned both sets of mics. My advice would be to check out the Studio Projects LSD2 as well, it's a LD stereo mic that is quite a bit different then the above mentioned SD mics, but it is great bang for the buck at $660 new, and makes wonderful tapes.

Offline bgalizio

• http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 09:04:52 AM »
I vote Pelusos for the same reasons echoed above by stirinthesauce. FWIW, there's a pair on eBay right now w/omni caps (check the eBay sales subforum for a link).

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2006, 09:23:16 AM »
in a heart beat!

just a thought... if 480s are what you really want, but you can't afford them then I'd suggest going after a set of 460s. You could easily get a pair of 460s for $700. They are very similair to 480's, but most people describe them as a tad warmer and a little less detailed than 480s. 460s will get you closer to the 480 sound then either the peluso or the mbho.

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2006, 09:48:56 AM »
The only time I would pick MBHO over Peluso is if I was recording purely acoustic music; MBHO's shine their best on acoustic stuff. They have a midrange smear at high db that makes them a poor choice for rock/PA taping, YMMV. I have owned both sets of mics. My advice would be to check out the Studio Projects LSD2 as well, it's a LD stereo mic that is quite a bit different then the above mentioned SD mics, but it is great bang for the buck at $660 new, and makes wonderful tapes.

I actually just sold my sp C3's to fund some new mics. They were great mics just want to shrink the rig size down .
hmm the poll is even but it seems like the mbho's are not as versitile as the peluso's or AKG 460/480's

I vote Pelusos for the same reasons echoed above by stirinthesauce. FWIW, there's a pair on eBay right now w/omni caps (check the eBay sales subforum for a link).

Thanks I have been checking ebay often lately and did not see those!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 09:51:52 AM by Tye »

Offline grider

• Trade Count: (6)
  • always give more than you take
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 10:41:45 AM »
MBHO's; I have heard incredible recordings made with the MBHO>MiniMe combination, take a listen to STS9 from 2-25-03 (LMA) and you will understand, plus with MBHO's you have the option of active cables
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:22:44 AM by grider »

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »
MBHO's; I have heard incredible recordings made with the MBHO>MiniMe combination, take a listen to STS9 from 2-25-03 (LMA) and you will understand, plus with MBHO's you have the option of active cables

I have used the MBHO648/KA200's>minime exclusively now for 3 1/2 years.   I love the sound of this combination.  I also love the sound of the SounDevice  pre's infront of the Ho's as well.....  But I must admit that I also like the sound of the peluso recordings I have heard.  I have considered getting a pair.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Tye

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »
Well I just pulled the trigger on a new pair of Peluso's
 Just can't beat buying brand new with warranty for $660 !
Thanks for the info guys. +T around

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.154 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com