Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dual core processors?  (Read 5769 times)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
dual core processors?
« on: January 01, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
Hey there.  Looking to build a new computer and as always I am clueless as to what to look for in a processor.  Anyone wnat to give me a quick rundown?  I'm currently using a sempron 2600 which runs at 1.83 Ghz and I'm looking to get some more speed to allow less jitter when monitoring/mixing 24+ tracks @ 24/48.  This processor isn't cutting it.  Not looking to break the bank here but need a nice upgrade.  I can get the lower end dual cores from AMD or Intell for about $150 but I can get "faster" single cores for less.  What does dual core do for me and what are the advantages of higher L2/L1 cache?  How does the HT specs of AMD translate to FSB specs in Intel (or are they even the same)?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Diggin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
Re: dual core processors?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:39:28 PM »
take a look at this http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
Tom's isn't always the best, but it is better than nothing....

I love my dual core intel, blows away the single core intels in every test I have ever run
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 11:56:04 PM »
take a look at this http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html
Tom's isn't always the best, but it is better than nothing....

I love my dual core intel, blows away the single core intels in every test I have ever run

very helpful Brian.  +T

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:11:43 AM »
My dual core shows a *huge* improvement in many situations but a bit less when running programs that are not multi threaded.  One thing that is really nice is that you can run a non multi threaded cpu hog that uses up almost the first core, but then you can also run a other programs that will take advantage of the second core.

Also... Typically 32bit windows programs are only allowed to use 2gig of memory at any given point.  I've ran into this mostly in photoshop and for my work in speech recognition.  I've got 4gig in my dual processor rig and can run one program hogging it's 2gig of memory and then start others which are able to take advantage of the other 2 gig.

I also set up a dual boot xp - ubuntu 64 bit install.  64bit ubuntu and dual core processors really fly.  :P

Now that I have a dual processor I can't imagine going back.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 06:19:15 AM »
based on the link brian provided, I can multitask better still with some of the single core than some of the lower end dual core at about 1/2 the cost, and many of the single core's are faster if you are not multitasking.  I understand the ram thing and that does make a lot of sense.  I'm getting more into photography so that may be a big deal for me very soon.  I'm leaning toward the AMD 64 4000+ San Diego and an ECS mother board.  The mobo has optical out, 4-slots for ram, firewire, 4pci slots, 6 ata100, sata, and is all set up for a raid system... everything I can think of that I need,  plus since it is a 939 socket I can upgrade the processor to an AMD dual core down the road if this one doesn't cut it, and I can use the ddr 400 ram that is in my present machine.  With a case, 2 @ 400GB drives, 19" 4ms widescreen lcd, a 400w power supply, and 2 slide-out 5.25 hard drive bays, it is $665 shipped to my door.  I'm planning on using my existing 1GB of ram for now but I'm sure that will get upgraded once I get into photoshop.

Matt

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 10:39:53 AM »
Just my .02.... But ECS motherboards really suck.  They are the ones that Frys give away for free when they want to sell a certain processor.  I've tried 2 of them.  They were designed very poorly and had numerous problems.  Issues so bad that in one case the USB sockets were designed in such a way there was no way to connect a typical internal usb cable with cutting it apart.   When taken back to Frys the even admitted that the boards were trash.  I would say stay away from ECS. 

Personally I picked up a AMD5200+ (over clocked to 3GHz) with an Asus motherboard with the 590 chipset.  Also, 4 gig DDR800 Corsair memory where the timings were specifically designed for the speed of the new AMD bus.  Also an 8800gtx NVidia card.  I would have gotten the newer NVidida chipset on the motherboard, but most of the reviews said it is really buggy at this point because it is so new.

Reviews say that the AMD5200 is a little less powerful than the equivalent lintel however without over clocking mine the 3dmarks etc were almost identical.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 04:04:16 PM »
Just my .02.... But ECS motherboards really suck.  They are the ones that Frys give away for free when they want to sell a certain processor.  I've tried 2 of them.  They were designed very poorly and had numerous problems.  Issues so bad that in one case the USB sockets were designed in such a way there was no way to connect a typical internal usb cable with cutting it apart.   When taken back to Frys the even admitted that the boards were trash.  I would say stay away from ECS. 

Personally I picked up a AMD5200+ (over clocked to 3GHz) with an Asus motherboard with the 590 chipset.  Also, 4 gig DDR800 Corsair memory where the timings were specifically designed for the speed of the new AMD bus.  Also an 8800gtx NVidia card.  I would have gotten the newer NVidida chipset on the motherboard, but most of the reviews said it is really buggy at this point because it is so new.

Reviews say that the AMD5200 is a little less powerful than the equivalent lintel however without over clocking mine the 3dmarks etc were almost identical.

good to know, Thanks +t!!!

mATT

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 06:23:47 PM »
distinquish between core duo and core 2 duo:
don't ask me why, but I know as a fact that the socalled

'core 2 duo'
again is much faster than the socalled

core duo
at certain tasks like rendering avi to mpeg2 (video from sd cam to DVD format, must depend if the soft can use the multithreading )

check: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/ for reviews of processors,
and for who wants it yet faster again, here: http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2848 you can see which mobos will enable an upgrade to the upcoming Quad cores
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »
Please go with the AMD 64 processor and you will have a smile on your face.

I run a DAW multitracking from a Tascam Firewire 1884 and have used all 8 channels with plug ins and still don't overload my 3700 AMD 64. In fact it only runs the processor at about 36% with that large of a load.

I build all of my custom computers for my business using AMD chips and always will continue to because of price and performance.

The only time I have used intel was to build a server and that used 2 Xeon 2.4 ghz which runs great after 2years of being on 24/7 365 and heavy use.

Also buy a GOOD fan you should spend close to $50 for a fan/heatsink to get the most reliablity and performance from your processor. Also make sure you have a good power supply not the ones that come with a computer case but a good $80-$100 supply.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 05:01:27 PM »
Please go with the AMD 64 processor and you will have a smile on your face.

I run a DAW multitracking from a Tascam Firewire 1884 and have used all 8 channels with plug ins and still don't overload my 3700 AMD 64. In fact it only runs the processor at about 36% with that large of a load.

I build all of my custom computers for my business using AMD chips and always will continue to because of price and performance.

The only time I have used intel was to build a server and that used 2 Xeon 2.4 ghz which runs great after 2years of being on 24/7 365 and heavy use.

Also buy a GOOD fan you should spend close to $50 for a fan/heatsink to get the most reliablity and performance from your processor. Also make sure you have a good power supply not the ones that come with a computer case but a good $80-$100 supply.
I have had great luck with AMD.  My lappy is an xp-m 2800 (1.83 GHz, 32 bit) and I have recorded 14 tracks of 24/96 without problems. 

Another question... one of the reviewers on newegg claimed he used that San Diego chip in his hp lappy.  How would I identify if my hp lappy is a 939 socket and is that all I need to consider to upgrade it?

Matt

Offline jcrab66

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
those intel dual cores are great chips but if you wait a couple of months the price of them will drop significantly when the quad core comes out...
mk4's / mk41's > nbox > Microtracker / HDP2

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 05:59:55 PM »
those intel dual cores are great chips but if you wait a couple of months the price of them will drop significantly when the quad core comes out...

true true, but
AMD used to be better these last years, but now Intel really got it right with the core duo and more so with the core 2 duo. And surprisinlgy they are not expensive, even now.

see: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808
resp. http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 06:17:59 PM »
true true, but
AMD used to be better these last years, but now Intel really got it right with the core duo and more so with the core 2 duo. And surprisinlgy they are not expensive, even now.

I hate that Intel has a lead on performance right now.. but that lead isn't big enough for me to go with the near monopoly company. I think we'd be paying a LOT more if not for AMD's great competitiveness over recent years. I've been very happy with my amd64's over intel so I'll continue to give them some loyalty.

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 06:38:28 PM »
good on you freeluch!
for a PC I am sure ADM must have very competitive options, but if it was a notebook and since I do video editing/rendering now I'd not buy anything but a core 2 duo.

Offline winisp

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »

I said it last year and I will say it again in 2007 - don't trust John Crabby's opinion on taping or especially what is good equipment or a good purchase.  Just an FYI for all of you who don't know JCrabb's rep
AKG 481/3 > Dogstar XLR > MiniMe > Laptop
www.thanksthanksalot.com
www.uprecords.com
Why do I have negative tickets? Because JCrabb is loser!!! Just ask his ex-wifey :)  Share the music JCrabb!!!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com