Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: V3s>744s Is it just me?  (Read 8384 times)

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: V3s>744s Is it just me?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 03:56:11 PM »
Why, that's impossible!  Everyone knows the 722 pre can't run standalone :P

That's why I started this thread.  I was trying to figure out why people were spending $2-4,000 on 722s and 744s, and still running external pres and A/Ds.  Will there EVER be a device that will have the pres and A/Ds that "inquiring ears want to hear", so that we can just carry one single piece of gear with a battery?  Excluding mics, stand, cables, etc. etc.

Another choice for about the same price as a V3 plus a 744 you could get a Nagra V.

Offline ghellquist

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 05:56:57 PM »
I was trying to figure out why people were spending $2-4,000 on 722s and 744s, and still running external pres and A/Ds.  Will there EVER be a device that will have the pres and A/Ds that "inquiring ears want to hear", so that we can just carry one single piece of gear with a battery?  Excluding mics, stand, cables, etc. etc.

That is exactly what I do as well as a lot of other people. The pres are good. In objective listening tests there is very little difference between the 722 pres and the V3...

IF...

if you use the 722 pres in their sweet spot. It is below -12dB -- blinking yellow lights, never any red lights. The V3 has a different sweet spot -- up close to zero with blinking red lights.

People that are used to the V3 or running old time 16 bit equipment try to run the 722 the same way and end up outside the sweet spot. The difference in volume is very easily handled in post production on your PC. Once the volume has been normalized I bet very few living persons can reliably detect the difference. Very few. You may check this thread, the main difference is difference in levels (it has been proven in numerous tests that the ear always preferr the stronger signal):
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,75230.0.html

Regardless, there is a difference if your ears hear it which is really all it takes. But perfectly pristine perfect recordings can be done with only the 722 and a good stereo mic setup.

Gunnar

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 06:12:09 PM »
Will there EVER be a device that will have the pres and A/Ds that "inquiring ears want to hear", so that we can just carry one single piece of gear with a battery?  Excluding mics, stand, cables, etc. etc.

marantz pmd 671 modded by the oade's.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
marantz pmd 671 modded by the oade's.

Except that it doesn't have enough gain for acoustic stuff, right?

Anyone posted a comp of the stock 671 vs the oade?  Same for the ACM P2. It seems like I never see the comps but would like to hear them..  Preferably no PA and live music only.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 12:02:31 PM »
Will there EVER be a device that will have the pres and A/Ds that "inquiring ears want to hear", so that we can just carry one single piece of gear with a battery?  Excluding mics, stand, cables, etc. etc.
[/quote]

Hard to say considering that 'what inquiring ears want to hear.' is different between many people.  After taping about 20 shows with it, I'm very happy with my busman mod R-4 with no pre in front of it.  Can't wait to hear it when it comes back with his new lower gain mod.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 10:19:21 PM »
I think the 722 can hold its own as an all-in-one box :) with the right pair of mics that is

I think if i had to sell my v2 id be perfectly happy, i just prefer the grace>722 sound. and preamps to us are like shoes to women, i like having a few preamps to run with :) Options are a great thing...
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 11:13:54 PM »
Well, I have a loaner V3 that I will try to compare, head to head, with direct in to my R-4 Pro (Busman Mod)  I would love to NOT carry one more piece of equipment, plus battery and cable.  The sound will tell.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 11:20:09 PM »
I also like running the 722 line-in because it saves alot of power too. last moedown i ran just 481>722 one day and the next just 483>722 :) quite happy, especially with the 483>722 sound :) but the batts were a bitch to keep charged and all that jazz, thank god for them letting me charge at the tent stage :)

BUT, I wish I wouldve ran my v3 instead :( I only ran it a few sets on teh first day with some 140's and some mg 200's. i think the tapes wouldve come out better, it seems the v3 smooths everything out over the whole spectrum, which i like alot :) Its like it always picks the right things to pickup out of the musical spectrum. No matter what mics I shall be running. I think grace>722 will be behind it for quite some time
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 11:39:17 PM by Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

BobW

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 08:19:15 AM »
...so that we can just carry one single piece of gear with a battery?  Excluding mics, stand, cables, etc. etc.

Perhaps the Sonosax Mini R82 ?

Offline baustin

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 12:41:55 PM »
the V3 is way more pre than the V2.
I'll take real meters over a single flashing, color changing led any day of the week.
The trim feature on the V2 sucks my nut-sack.
I sold my V2, and have no interest in going backwards.

but the meters are in th digital realm. if you're using the v3 as a pre only, those meters won't do anything for you

1 - Can anybody elaborate on this?

2 - For those of you running V3~>Analog~>7xx, where do you set your levels? -6 on the 744t?

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 03:27:57 PM »
the V3 is way more pre than the V2.
I'll take real meters over a single flashing, color changing led any day of the week.
The trim feature on the V2 sucks my nut-sack.
I sold my V2, and have no interest in going backwards.

but the meters are in th digital realm. if you're using the v3 as a pre only, those meters won't do anything for you

1 - Can anybody elaborate on this?

2 - For those of you running V3~>Analog~>7xx, where do you set your levels? -6 on the 744t?

1) The V3 meters work just fine, you just have to change your thought process since the analog output of the V3 doesn't match the numbering on the face (digital). 

2) Run the 7xx levels at "0" and use your V3 for the gain.  This keeps the 7xx in unity (no pre).

See this thread for some good discussion and elaboration on the issue of V3 (analog) > 7xx.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.2 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com