Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: HI I'm NEW HERE - ADVICE  (Read 8810 times)

Offline greenlight

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
HI I'm NEW HERE - ADVICE
« on: February 14, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »
I'm hangig on sonicyouth forum. Somebody from there sent me a web adress to this forum in connection with taping/recording thred, i've create, just because finally I bought minidisc, always wanted to record so I wanted to know where and what mic to buy. I know here must be allready lots of sticky thread about it and tons other stuff for dummies, but if somebody would point me  some good (small stereo mic for taping shows) mic - certain mic on certain page, I would highly appreciated. Don't want to buy off ebay, but new.

Thanks!

Offline fsulloway

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: HI I'm NEW HERE - ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »
Welcome! Here's a good place to start where you can find some more info on taping as far as gear.
http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,14.0.html
schoeps ccm4's, mk4v, mk2h, mk41
AKG ck62, ck63, ck61
Nbob/pfa, Naiant/pfa
SD 10T

"Wilmington, North Carolina....Let us hear your motherf***in' pride!" Patterson Hood 12-09-04

"Just About Unwound From Chasing Down The Sound"

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 05:31:09 PM »
he, thanks very much fsulloway!
ehrmmm, i still don't know, which one should I go for (for a beginner like....something small), hmm something certain (model), coz honestly you's know tell me straight away, coz you must be like home here by now.

thanks!

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 05:35:50 PM »
ehrmmm, i still don't know, which one should I go for (for a beginner like....something small), hmm something certain (model), coz honestly you's know tell me straight away, coz you must be like home here by now.

thanks!

You should check out the Retail space forum I have a sale on right now for a set of mics and a preamp. You should also go to soundprofessionals.com they have some great gear as well. I would not be afraid of buying used around here there is a section called Yardsale.. You might find some great products there as well at a good price. There are many options for recording live music. The users here are very helpful and I am sure you will get set up in no time flat.

Good luck

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »

thanks!

Do some reading, educate yourself.  Nothing is worse than having someone else telling you what to do.  I understand that there are so many options it may be overwhelming...

First question to ask your self is how much money you want to spend.

Second question is how serious you want to be about this.

Third, is whether or not you want to tape openly (mics where everyone can see them) or stealth (hidden mics)

After some thought on those subjects, you'll be better armed to ask about specific gear. 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 05:39:17 PM »
You should check out the Retail space forum I have a sale on right now for a set of mics and a preamp. You should also go to soundprofessionals.com they have some great gear as well. I would not be afraid of buying used around here there is a section called Yardsale.. You might find some great products there as well at a good price. There are many options for recording live music. The users here are very helpful and I am sure you will get set up in no time flat.

Good luck

Chris Church

thanks, I'm going to check that page and also section Yardsale!

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 05:40:29 PM »
First off, Welcome! You've stumbled upon a gold mine of great information and even better people.  The first thing you need to do is determine how much money you'd like to spend.  From the description you gave you wanted a small, stereo microphone that easily connects to your mini-disc.  I would recommend this sony microphone

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=ECMMS907

I used this mic with my minidisc recorded when I first started and was pleased with the results.  It two different settings which lets you adjust the "width" of the recording, and it will plug right into your minidisc.  Runs of a AA battery or two, so powering it is a breeze.

Have fun,
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 05:46:07 PM »

Good luck

Chris Church

thanks, I'm going to check that page and also section Yardsale!

Some really good mics are AT 853 they sound great and will cost you about $150 a pair used.. Also check out AT 831 a good set can be had for around $100 Used. you will need a battery box they are about $30-50 Used. Or you can check out my package no pun intended for $149.99 There are many options as its been stated here already you have to know what type of recording you want to do. What type of bands do you like? How often are you actually going to record? What type of recording do you want to do OPEN? that means having permission to record the show from the Artist. Or Stealth recording. Self explanatory... What type of MD recorder did you get?

Chris Church

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 05:46:54 PM »
Do some reading, educate yourself.  Nothing is worse than having someone else telling you what to do.  I understand that there are so many options it may be overwhelming...

Third, is whether or not you want to tape openly (mics where everyone can see them) or stealth (hidden mics)

After some thought on those subjects, you'll be better armed to ask about specific gear. 

Terry

Ahhh, I'd rather chat this thing up.

1. i've no idea how much are mic like, but let's say 100 eur.
2. how serious? hmmm, i'd like to record any good gig around my place and also I would be even willing travell and record gig, but only in certain cases (anything related to sonic youth)
3. well, that's the question. can I record openly? eventhough most of the bands are not against taping venues are. what to do? (I'd say some small mic.)

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 05:47:49 PM »

That does not even look like me...... I was actually trying to help this guy out. And not nessicerily sell him my stuff :) Are you sure that's not you in the picture?  :P

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 05:51:18 PM »

Terry

2. how serious? hmmm, i'd like to record any good gig around my place and also I would be even willing travell and record gig, but only in certain cases (anything related to sonic youth)
3. well, that's the question. can I record openly? eventhough most of the bands are not against taping venues are. what to do? (I'd say some small mic.)

If you only have $100 eur to spend I would get a set of Audio Technica 831'S they sound pretty dam good for the price I am sure there are a few members here that have already upgraded and would be willing to let them go cheap. I would also strongly recommend a battery box with a bass roll off. This is a good starter package if you post in the Yard sale ISO AT 831 AND BATTERY BOX... I am sure you will get a few people wanting to sell..

Chris Church

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 06:00:08 PM »

Terry

If you only have $100 eur to spend I would get a set of Audio Technica 831'S they sound pretty dam good for the price I am sure there are a few members here that have already upgraded and would be willing to let them go cheap. I would also strongly recommend a battery box with a bass roll off. This is a good starter package if you post in the Yard sale ISO AT 831 AND BATTERY BOX... I am sure you will get a few people wanting to sell..

Chris Church

sounds great Chris!
thanks!
yeah, i'll definitelly check out that yardsale.
i'd say there's lots things to learn about taping (and i thought it's easy....just plug and press the button).
why not, i would pay even little bit more.
and what's the story with that power box. is it like a extra power with some changig record level knob on it (didn't know about that)? is it necessary (i'd say yes)?

i've got sony Net MD MZ-N707 (so nothing special, no dat recorder, hehe)

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:01:49 PM by greenlight »

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 06:02:33 PM »

Microphones range in price from $20 to $5000+.  100EU = $131 right now.  There are a lot of options at that price range.  The Church Audio mics are in that price range, as are various Sony, Audio Technica, etc. mics. 

2. how serious? hmmm, i'd like to record any good gig around my place and also I would be even willing travell and record gig, but only in certain cases (anything related to sonic youth).

Are you serious enough to stand in one place the entire concert to record it?  Stealth mics may require you not move in the slightest (hat-worn mics WILL have issues if you turn your head to look around).  Standing still for 90min. during a concert where you want to dance is VERY hard.

Sonic Youth allows open taping.  I'm not sure of taping in the UK, but if its a venue issue, you should ask the venue owners.  Or stealth.

Terry

« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:05:37 PM by twatts »

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 06:03:18 PM »
:lol:

welcome aboard!

thats all, carry on.....

cheers.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 06:05:29 PM »

Where are you? Open taping in Europe is not impossible, but I use my mini mics for this. Slowly, band by band, venue by venue, I am getting them used to open taping. I'd say over the last year my stealth: open ratio has gone from 95:5 to 60:40.

AT831s are great little starter mics, and I'm sorry to say that even after an upgrade, they still get used.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2007, 06:15:21 PM »

Where are you? Open taping in Europe is not impossible, but I use my mini mics for this. Slowly, band by band, venue by venue, I am getting them used to open taping. I'd say over the last year my stealth: open ratio has gone from 95:5 to 60:40.

AT831s are great little starter mics, and I'm sorry to say that even after an upgrade, they still get used.

thanks for the tip.

ireland. like I was at ATP festival in december and Peter (a guy from sy board) was recording barkhaze. he had that mic which looked like normal (classis shape) mic,  it was just little like. he had his md in his pocket and he mounted his mic on strip of his backpack (shoulder). i think lots people had to see him, even security or a personell, but everybody seemed to be cool with it, which i think that's the way it should be unless band don't mind (then you probably really have to steal it). i don't know if he was moving (probably not) during the gig, but i'd say if he had to scratch himself he did. recording ended up on dimeadozen i think in really good quality.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:17:45 PM by greenlight »

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
Microphones range in price from $20 to $5000+.  100EU = $131 right now.  There are a lot of options at that price range.  The Church Audio mics are in that price range, as are various Sony, Audio Technica, etc. mics. 

thanks for the tip

Are you serious enough to stand in one place the entire concert to record it?  Stealth mics may require you not move in the slightest (hat-worn mics WILL have issues if you turn your head to look around).  Standing still for 90min. during a concert where you want to dance is VERY hard.

i know what you mean. it's must be hard. but it can't be that bad. i mean i can turn around or schratch my self or something. it can't be that sensitive, can it?

Sonic Youth allows open taping.  I'm not sure of taping in the UK, but if its a venue issue, you should ask the venue owners.  Or stealth.

i wont bother with venue owners, rather stealth, or should I bother?

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »
i mean i can turn around or schratch my self or something. it can't be that sensitive, can it?

Yes, a mic is that sensitive.  Its has to be in order to realistically reproduce stero images.  If the mic couldn't pick up what was to "left", it wouldn't be able to produce that "left" and you won't hear it in your recording. 

Easy way to simulate this is to listen to a small radio at a distance.  While standing still looking forward, have someone move the radio from your left side to your right side.  Can you hear how the image goes from all the way left to center to all the way right?  Your mics "hear" the same way.

If you face the stage and look to the left, then slowly turn your head to look right, you recording will "pan" from right to left (opposite of your turn). 

i wont bother with venue owners, rather stealth, or should I bother?

Why not bother???  Venue owners aren't ogres.  They are generally good people that like music.  Our local music venue built us a taping booth after we befriended him.  Tapers now have a booth next to the soundboard area so we aren't in the way or normal customers.  He also talks to artists for us and has gotten permission from certain bands that normally don't allow taping.

And if you a friend with the owner, he's not going to have security kick you out if you are taping.  He'll just tell you to quit.

Terry

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 07:15:53 PM »
Welcome to the board, and +T for finding it.  It can become a part of your life.  There is so much knowledge and information here, that you could go blind before you digest it all.  Ask questions, and helpful people will answer.  See responses already.  As you move further along, so will your questions, and so will the answers.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »
Thinking about what you might need over dinner...

There are several varieties of small mics.  In the Yard Sale right now I see:
AT853>AT8534  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79704.0.html
Church Omnis:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79487.0.html

I think either would be good for you.  Talk to Church Audio for more info on his systems.

You can Google Audio Technica for details on the at853s.  These are nice because they have optional capsules so you can change as you want.  The 8534 is a power module that allows phantom power.  Its not the wall module you'll find on google...  At least I think so...  This will allow you to use phantom power in the future if you go that way. 

I had a pair of Giant Squids a long time ago and thought they did a poor job.  I also don't recommend Core Sound.  The products are OK, but customer service is horrible. 

Sony also makes small mics that are designed for use with MDs.  The ECM-MS907 is a good one.  Its small and does a good job.  But while its not as small as the ATs or CAs, it is pretty low profile.

And despite our wrangling, I would have to say Church's products are probably what you are looking for.  I think he produces a good looking product, is very knowledgable, and has been very good about customer service.  I haven't actually listened to his mics, so I can't comment on that aspect.  He has some different varieties of mics and batteryboxes/preamps, you need to discuss your needs and budget with him if you go that way...

Terry

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 05:02:23 PM »
Thinking about what you might need over dinner...

There are several varieties of small mics.  In the Yard Sale right now I see:
AT853>AT8534  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79704.0.html
Church Omnis:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,79487.0.html

I think either would be good for you.  Talk to Church Audio for more info on his systems.

You can Google Audio Technica for details on the at853s.  These are nice because they have optional capsules so you can change as you want.  The 8534 is a power module that allows phantom power.  Its not the wall module you'll find on google...  At least I think so...  This will allow you to use phantom power in the future if you go that way. 

I had a pair of Giant Squids a long time ago and thought they did a poor job.  I also don't recommend Core Sound.  The products are OK, but customer service is horrible. 

Sony also makes small mics that are designed for use with MDs.  The ECM-MS907 is a good one.  Its small and does a good job.  But while its not as small as the ATs or CAs, it is pretty low profile.

And despite our wrangling, I would have to say Church's products are probably what you are looking for.  I think he produces a good looking product, is very knowledgable, and has been very good about customer service.  I haven't actually listened to his mics, so I can't comment on that aspect.  He has some different varieties of mics and batteryboxes/preamps, you need to discuss your needs and budget with him if you go that way...

Terry

THANKS VERY MUCH for your advices. I was little bit busy and financially short. Hopefully I'll be grand by next week or so. Definitelly going to buy something from what I've found in this thread. Oh, by the way check this picture. What do you think about this mic? Guy on the right, you can see it, can you?

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 05:03:48 PM »
Welcome to the board, and +T for finding it.  It can become a part of your life.  There is so much knowledge and information here, that you could go blind before you digest it all.  Ask questions, and helpful people will answer.  See responses already.  As you move further along, so will your questions, and so will the answers.

cheers!

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 05:29:35 PM »
Yes, I can see the mic, he should run the wire under his shirt.

Terry

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »

THANKS VERY MUCH for your advices. I was little bit busy and financially short. Hopefully I'll be grand by next week or so. Definitelly going to buy something from what I've found in this thread. Oh, by the way check this picture. What do you think about this mic? Guy on the right, you can see it, can you?

Stealth rule #1.  No bright lights

Stealth rule #2   No dangling cables
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 08:50:28 PM »
I have used the Sony MS907 mic with an MD several times. It works surprisingly well for the price.
IMO advantages--battery power, stereo ( it's mid-side accord to Sony which makes me wanna laugh),small
IMO disadvantages--weak output, VERY low SPL handling (i think it's like 100db max),limited freq response (like 100hz to 15 khz) mixed blessing there...no room boom but no cymbals either

club where i use it most has a support column dead center 25 ft back so I velcro tape the mic 8 ft high and the md 5 feet high with cable wrapped around pole...i roll it and go get a beer....have also recorded a big outdoor show with the mic velcro taped to the top of my hat...find some short people to stand amongst but not sorority girls....too much screaming.......

I've heard shows stealth taped with Church Audio and Core mics and I think Church takes it.....
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline 1westkc3

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 09:12:21 PM »

...and so will your money. ;D

Offline greenlight

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 04:01:31 PM »
Hi ya.
It's been a while, since I was here.
So I bought this finally.

Went to town, bought ticket for Wolf Eeyes gig, then walked around with some spare cash went to sony shop bought it....hmm, it's quite big. Do you know anything about Wolf Eyes towards taping them shows?

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2007, 04:18:47 PM »
If that is your "stealth" mic....the force must be strong, with you, young Jedi....

;D
jk

Do you use the Mic and stand from Neil Young's Rust Never Sleeps Tour as your open rig....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding , dude..........I just couldn't resist
The Sony mic looks nice....good luck with it...I'm not familiar with that model...let us know how it sounds.....

Peace
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 04:26:15 PM by joekar »
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2007, 06:00:07 PM »
Hi ya.
It's been a while, since I was here.
So I bought this finally.

Went to town, bought ticket for Wolf Eeyes gig, then walked around with some spare cash went to sony shop bought it....hmm, it's quite big. Do you know anything about Wolf Eyes towards taping them shows?

Thats a pretty good mic I would get an edirol r-09 for a recorder you will at some point in time want to upgrade your mic, its importaint to start with a good recorder. Good luck with your taping..

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.142 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com