Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cable Comparison with The Mic Hybrid & Hydra mic cables  (Read 39505 times)

Offline SparkE!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Cable Comparison with The Mic Hybrid & Hydra mic cables
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2007, 08:28:49 PM »
Merely being able to differentiate between the two recordings does not invalidate the comp.

Of course it invalidates the comparison if it's easy to recognize the difference between the source material for the two recordings!  The very concept of ABX comparison requires that you use identical source material.  In Jason's case, the two recordings are of the same source and all that changes is the recorder.  In this case, we are comparing cables.  We still should use the same source and all that changes is the cables.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:37:37 PM by SparkE! »
How'm I supposed to read your lips when you're talkin' out your ass? - Lern Tilton

Ignorance in audio is exceeded only by our collective willingness to embrace and foster it. -  Srajan Ebaen

Offline PH

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • can you fix it in the mix?
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2007, 10:25:25 PM »
Well, I did the test today. A bit earlier than expected.
I must say that I was surprised at the results.

The differences in cables were actually rather large, more than I was expecting.

We tested the Van den Hul's Mic Hybrid vs Gumbinio's Hi Ho Silvers and also against a dirt cheap cable
We tested Mogami against Canare and Hi Ho's.
We tested the V3 analog out to the R4 VS The R4 alone.

They all showed noticable results. I'll work'em up and try to get it posted early this week.
stay tuned......Phil

stevetoney

« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2007, 06:02:35 AM »
I did a quick cable test last week..

Using the same mic in the same position, I recorded my stereo with the stock LSD2 cable and with a Hydra XLR that I got from Nick.  Once I listened to the two recordings I was amazed at how much of a difference the Hydra made.  The transparency of the Hydra is definitely worth the money I paid for it. 

Thank you Corbin. 

For all this 8 pages of discussion about the merits of how this test should be performed, this is really the only type of input that I personally wanted.  I know others may want more objective details, but I'm not sure how they'd be given.  In the end, I just want to know...if you had it to do over again, would you spend the money and you answered that question in 100 words or less!  Thanks again.

stevetoney

« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2007, 06:06:34 AM »
Well, I did the test today. A bit earlier than expected.
I must say that I was surprised at the results.

Thanks for taking the time Phil.  I'm really looking forward to seeing your results. 

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »
The show is now up on the Archive.  For those just wanting to sample a couple of tracks, I think these two make for a good comparison.

Set 1 / Track 8 - Nothing Too Fancy  http://www.archive.org/download/um2007.03.02.flac16/um2007-03-02d1t08.flac

Set 2 / Track 6 - Hurt Bird Bath  http://www.archive.org/download/um2007.03.02.flac16/um2007-03-02d2t06.flac

Finally took the time to listen to those tracks and the differences are *huge*..  Makes me wonder, as we have already beat to death, if there were any other changes with the PA, stand height, whatever

That said, I tried another track as an alternative to the first.. My alternate (t3, I think) did sound better than the first but it had some feedback problems so it also wasn't a good comp.  I'm not a big UM fan so I didn't listen to any others.

I'm guessing there were other sources available for this show?  A source that remained constant between the first and second sets would provide a reference that could answer the uncertainty regarding PA changes, etc.

Offline dennisrtyler

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2007, 10:16:04 AM »
The show is now up on the Archive.  For those just wanting to sample a couple of tracks, I think these two make for a good comparison.

Set 1 / Track 8 - Nothing Too Fancy  http://www.archive.org/download/um2007.03.02.flac16/um2007-03-02d1t08.flac

Set 2 / Track 6 - Hurt Bird Bath  http://www.archive.org/download/um2007.03.02.flac16/um2007-03-02d2t06.flac

Finally took the time to listen to those tracks and the differences are *huge*..  Makes me wonder, as we have already beat to death, if there were any other changes with the PA, stand height, whatever

That said, I tried another track as an alternative to the first.. My alternate (t3, I think) did sound better than the first but it had some feedback problems so it also wasn't a good comp.  I'm not a big UM fan so I didn't listen to any others.

I'm guessing there were other sources available for this show?  A source that remained constant between the first and second sets would provide a reference that could answer the uncertainty regarding PA changes, etc.

FWIW...i ran the comp and i changed *nothing* except for the cables. i also don't remember any noticeable improvements coming from the PA in set 2.
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2007, 10:30:04 AM »
I was also at this show and remember no noticeable differences in the PA sound between the first and second sets, FWIW.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline dennisrtyler

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2007, 10:37:57 AM »
FWIW...i ran the comp and i changed *nothing* except for the cables. i also don't remember any noticeable improvements coming from the PA in set 2.

Thanks for the clarification.. I wasn't trying to imply there was anything nefarious going on.. The difference is just really dramatic. A second source would help reduce any concerns about PA changes, etc. I like to be very objective about these things..  I just checked archive and the etree db and couldn't find any others..

there were 3 other tapers that night, all of whom are active on this board. perhaps one of them will step up with a new source :P +T for the use of nefarious ;)
4. im so abrasive i make sandpaper nervous.

Schoeps CMR/mk4 > Naiant PFA > Oade Concert Mod Marantz PMD-661

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2007, 11:38:08 AM »
Finally took the time to listen to those tracks and the differences are *huge*.. 
I've always been curious about the VDH Linear Structured Carbon. Makes me really want to hear The Mic Hybrid in my rig, but I think the size of the cable will prohibit its use in a 7-pin connector for my LSD2.  :(
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
Sorry for the delays in getting these comps posted. Been crazy busy this week, which is good.
I'll try to get them done tonight and posted tonight or tommorrow.
Anyone have a place I can host them? Pm me
Phil

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »
Ok, found a place to upload them tonight. Thanks, Phil

cshepherd

« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2007, 05:40:09 PM »

Thanks for the clarification.. I wasn't trying to imply there was anything nefarious going on.. The difference is just really dramatic. A second source would help reduce any concerns about PA changes, etc. I like to be very objective about these things..  I just checked archive and the etree db and couldn't find any others..

there were 3 other tapers that night, all of whom are active on this board. perhaps one of them will step up with a new source :P +T for the use of nefarious ;)

A new source would be a nice addition to the conversation.  Thanks for the studio comps, Phil.  I look forward to hearing them.

Chris

stevetoney

« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2007, 03:55:46 PM »
Ok, found a place to upload them tonight. Thanks, Phil

I'm looking forward to hearing your results.  You got me baited with your 'surprised with the results' statement, so I been anxious to see what you found out.

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »
I know....I know.
I'm really sorry for the continued delay, it will be worth the wait I promise.
Hopefully tonight. I have a place to put them, so just need to make time to do it.
Cheers, Phil

Offline PH

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »
I did this in a casual way, so let's not get all worked up about how the test should have been done or all the reasons why it's flawed. You can judge the comparison and results on their own merits and either take them under consideration or not. I felt there were some interesting results and I was frankly surprised that there were so many differences in the gear that was sampled. There is also a V3/R4 comparison thrown in just for fun.

I did this for my own uses, but thought many others would find it useful, so here you go.
All the info is below, enjoy.
Cheers, Phil
==============================

http://www.turtleside.com/misc/nashphil-cable-comp/Cable_Test/

All of these various samples were recorded with a stock Edirol R4.
The mics used were a matched pair of Schoeps CMC6/mk4 and a matched pair of Studio Projects C4.
Cody Kilby (from Ricky Skaggs Band) is playing a Collings Acoustic Guitar and mic pairs are placed
about 10 inches away from guitar and directly in front of the 12th fret.

The two pairs of mics were attached together using rubber bands to place them at
exactly the same angle and distance from the source. Each pair were placed
as close to each other as would allow. This gives you a good comparison of two cables at a time,
plus an interesting (but flawed) mic comparison between the $2000+ Schoeps and the $300 C4's.

The cables used are:
Van den Hul's Mic Hybrid (provided by Eugene Hi-Fi)
Hi-Ho Silvers (provided by The Great Gumbino)
Mogami Quad 2534 (their best cable)
Canare Mini-Quad
Guitar Center Cheapo Cables

TEST 1

test1a_hybrid
test1a_silvers
test1b_mogami
test1b_canare

The hybrid/silvers are the Schoeps and the mogami/canare are the C4's
==========================================================================

TEST 2

test2a_hybrid
test2a_cheapo
test2b_mogami
test2b_silver

The hybrid/cheapo are the Schoeps and the mogami/silvers are the C4's

TEST 3

test3_R4
test3_V3-digiout

This test compares the R4 pre's/ad converter alone vs the V3 digi-out to the R4.
The two samples are the schoeps pair with hybrid cables, were recorded in
stereo seperately, and aren't the exact same performance. However, it does give
you an idea of the differences between the overall sound of the two units.

TEST 4

test4_R4
test4_V3-analogout

This test compares the preamps of the two units. The R4 sample is mic direct
to R4 using hybrid cables. The V3-R4 sample is the mic to the V3, then
analog out to the R4 line input. Between this and Test3, you get an idea
of what the preamps and AD converters sound like in comparison to each other.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com