Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best way to get an unbalanced signal from this phantom/battery unit?  (Read 3255 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
http://www.coutant.org/data/co94.pdf (has schematic of power supply)

I have a pair of these that I want to try to use tomorrow - I have some mini-XLRs - and I would like to make a cable to go into my Sony D3 DAT 1/8 mic input...

I'd like to be able to just hack a 1/8 stereo mini > L/R RCA...just replace the RCAs with mini-XLRs

The power supply is designed to run off phantom or battery - so I was a little concerned about combining the ground and (-)...

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Best way to get an unbalanced signal from this phantom/battery unit?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 12:33:42 AM »
http://www.coutant.org/data/co94.pdf (has schematic of power supply)

I have a pair of these that I want to try to use tomorrow - I have some mini-XLRs - and I would like to make a cable to go into my Sony D3 DAT 1/8 mic input...

I'd like to be able to just hack a 1/8 stereo mini > L/R RCA...just replace the RCAs with mini-XLRs

The power supply is designed to run off phantom or battery - so I was a little concerned about combining the ground and (-)...

It should not be an issue because there your mic is transformer coupled... I would simply use the 9 volt battery and short out pin 1 to pin 3 and then run the output unbalanced. You should be fine.

Always test this before you go out of course but I see no reason why it would not work.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 01:02:29 PM »
A line transformer should unbalance the signal as well ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 01:30:00 PM »
A line transformer should unbalance the signal as well ...
Not really needed but it would help interface the mic ( if you just bypassed the original transformer all together ) It will help with what ever high impedance mic preamp he is going into. The only problem is if you run two transformers back to back you will get poor signal to noise ratio because of the insertion loss of the two transformers. And that could be as high as 6 db of signal loss before you even get to a preamp. Unless you use a step up transformer :) But then your getting all technical :)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
I have some 500 > 50K Impedence transformers...yay or nay...??? Two transformers does sound odd...

Just going into the "Mic In" on a Sony D3 DAT - It has a -20db attenuator - which I plan on using...

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 03:38:14 PM »
I have some 500 > 50K Impedence transformers...yay or nay...??? Two transformers does sound odd...

Just going into the "Mic In" on a Sony D3 DAT - It has a -20db attenuator - which I plan on using...

I think your going to be ok just going into the mic input on the dat. I would forget about the extra line transformer for now. In the future you could use something similar to a impedance converter but. For now this should be ok. I would test it first just to see what your levels are like.

Chris

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 04:23:02 PM »
I used to run mics > PS2 (phantom) > line transformers > modSBM1 (line in) as the PS2 had a balanced output. The line transformers would unbalance the signal so I could run line in to the modSBM1. It also added some gain, I forget how much, 5-6 db maybe, not sure. At times it would be too much depending on location, band, etc and I had to run the sbm1 'low' which is just attenuating the signal. Simple 'clean' setup which worked ...

Just another choice ...
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com