Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: r4 vs. hd-p2 as a standalone recorder  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Thomas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 391/MK90>MP2>SBM1>JB3
r4 vs. hd-p2 as a standalone recorder
« on: May 01, 2007, 02:53:05 PM »
Who here uses either an edirol r-4 or tascam hd-p2 as a standalone recorder? 

Ive been thinking of a gear change for a while and would really like to make the jump to an all in one recorder, but don't want to drop 2k on a Sound Devices box.  I have been running 391>MP2>SBM1>JB3 for a few years now, and would really like to hear a different pre with the akgs. 

Another related question: the prices on oade.com listed for mods only cover the cost of the mod, you have to either purchase a deck from them, or send them a deck to mod, right?
then we tell the kids that its good versus evil
that country and god are more important than people
we say it so much that its almost believable
Fear, we'll leave nobody behind.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: r4 vs. hd-p2 as a standalone recorder
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 02:55:38 PM »

Ive been thinking of a gear change for a while and would really like to make the jump to an all in one recorder, but don't want to drop 2k on a Sound Devices box.  I have been running 391>MP2>SBM1>JB3 for a few years now, and would really like to hear a different pre with the akgs. 

Another related question: the prices on oade.com listed for mods only cover the cost of the mod, you have to either purchase a deck from them, or send them a deck to mod, right?

The price you see on Oade ($1275 for the ACM HD-P2) is for the whoe kit and kaboodle.  You get a modded P2 shipped for the price.  AFAIK, Oade only mods P2 you buy from him...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 03:00:54 PM »

I am sure you have read the spec sheets of both units but I just wanted to point out a couple of reasons why I prefer the R4.

1. Hard drive instead of CF
2. 4 channel recording
3. Power options (9v>12v)
4. Display   They are both about the same size but I prefer the particular display the R4 has over the P2.  But both a better than most anyways.
5. Versatility.  This kind of goes with #2.  You can get 2 channels with a T mod and two with a W mod.  Lots of combinations.

In the end I think both units are great and you won't go wrong with either.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »
I think the HD-P2 has preamps that add less noise to the recording. 
I also like the design and construction of the HD-P2 better than the R4.

However, an Oade-modded R4 is mighty attractive because it has
four mic input channels.  If you need to record more than two
channels, the mod R4 would be a great choice.  The R4 Pro would
be an even better choice, but that's at a different price point.

Flintstone

Offline Thomas

• Taperssection Member
  • 391/MK90>MP2>SBM1>JB3
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 03:05:43 PM »
I am sure you have read the spec sheets of both units but I just wanted to point out a couple of reasons why I prefer the R4.

2. 4 channel recording
4. Display   They are both about the same size but I prefer the particular display the R4 has over the P2.  But both a better than most anyways.
5. Versatility.  This kind of goes with #2.  You can get 2 channels with a T mod and two with a W mod.  Lots of combinations.

are the tmod and wmod equivalent to the mods he does on the ua5s?  thats pretty cool that he will do different mods on the different signal paths. 

Offline Thomas

• Taperssection Member
  • 391/MK90>MP2>SBM1>JB3
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »
The R4 Pro would

Are there many differences between the r4 and r4pro other than time-code?

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:13:03 PM »

2. 4 channel recording

are the tmod and wmod equivalent to the mods he does on the ua5s?  thats pretty cool that he will do different mods on the different signal paths. 

I wouldn't say 'equivalent' but close.  The Warm mod is not quite as nice as the UA5 version but close and I think some people are split on the T mod versions on both units.  FWIW, other vendors do mods to the R4 as well.  Personally I prefer Doug's work but there are others so you have a choice. 

Yes.  First and foremost are the signal paths.  The R4 Pro uses a different path and different chips than the regular R4 does.  Secondly the internal framing and construction of the Pro is made of metal.  The weight is slightly higher.  The Pro allows you to select different power voltages through its menu systems.  And last but not least you can run two channels of analog and two channels of digital at the same time.

Oh and the black is pretty cool.   8)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »

are the tmod and wmod equivalent to the mods he does on the ua5s? 

Yes.  As explained to me when I bought my ACM, the ACM is "warm" and the Tmod is (duh) "transparent".

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 03:16:23 PM »
The R4 Pro would

There are several, the pro has different electronics, different inputs ie. aes/ebu, larger hard drive, it's cool black!

The main one is that you can record simultaneously through the digital in and one set of analog ins.  Also the digi in on the r4 pro does not resample signal.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »
couple of reasons why I prefer the R4.
< snip >

It seems the P2 will run on 9v > 12v external power, too, even though specs list 12v external power.

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,83146.0.html
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 05:37:21 PM »
I will go out on a limb here & suggest something totally different. Why don't you upgrade your 390's to 480's before going 24 bit? I think the difference would be huge vs. 24 bit. I had a pair of 391's way back when I can tell you that the jump to 480's while substantial in cost is well worth it. Besides improved sonics you will also have higher SPL handling. Honestly, I know you may be thinking a 24 bit box is worth it but your SBM1>JB3 set up is just as capable.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 12:24:35 AM »
Couple of things...

I agree with above. My 480s simply BLOW AWAY the 390s I used to own -- there was a night and day difference while using the same recorder through my transition from 390s to 480s (I owned both for a while too).

Next, I don't think anyone mentioned that another difference b/w the R4 and the R4 Pro is that the pro has trim nobs in addition to gain nobs (I think). Gives you much more control vs. the mic/line-in choice on the non-pro model. However, someone that owns a pro should confirm that.

Lastly, not saying you should go this route, but for what it's worth, I've been recording for a year or more on a stock R4 (no mods), and I've made some nice recordings. If you want some samples from the R4, my website (see sig) has a ton of different shows recorded with the R4 in 2-chan only mode, AUD+SBD Post-Matrixes, and AUD + spot mics or flanking mics (head's up though, some shows were AT943>ST9100>H120, but they are real obvious when you listen to them).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:28:26 AM by BayTaynt3d »
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com