Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home Recording Hardware (need help)  (Read 5740 times)

Offline Merton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Home Recording Hardware (need help)
« on: June 11, 2007, 05:52:20 PM »
Hey everyone,

Someone on another message board told me to ask you kind folks over at taperssection for advice. (copying and pasting thread)

"I would like to get some recording hardware (an audio interface), so that I can record stuff on my home computer. My uncle has a studio in his basement, so I am somewhat familar, but I am not too familar with audio interfaces.

The max I am willing to spend is $700.

I am currently looking at Echo AudioFire12

I like this interface because it offers 12 inputs. I don't really need 12, but it is cool that I atleast have the option to record the entire band at once if I ever wanted to.

If anyone has any input on this interface, or on any other hardware, please let me know. I have been reading reviews, which have all been positive, but I am just making sure there isn't something better out there that I am not familar with.

Thank you!!

(NOTE: I do not plan on buying from musicians friend if I decide to go with that)"

Offline bluevolvo

• Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
Re: Home Recording Hardware (need help)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 07:05:41 PM »

http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/8pre

$529 at bhphoto...i think i want one.  it'd be right at home under the traveler instead of the ADA8000  :P
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:38:27 AM »
Audiofire 12 is an excellent choice, but it has no preamps.

The MOTU 8pre is not a bad choice (I've not heard one, so I can't comment on sound quality).

You could go with a Presonus FireStudio or Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 I/O.  Both of those units provide excellent expandability options for adding gear on in the future.

All three of these options fit under your budget cap.

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Presonus.  Their service is excellent should you ever need it (both tech and repair).
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Merton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 02:41:53 PM »
TNJazz, thank you so much. I didn't even realize that the AudioFire didn't have preamps!!

The first interface I was looking at was the Presonus FireStudio. I was almost set on that until I saw the 12 channel AudioFire.

Like I said before, the only thing nice about the 12 channel is the fact that I could record an entire band at once. That isn't really needed for my situation, but I love the idea of getting that live vibe in the recording.

However, I am guessing, if I really needed it, that I could chain it up with another FireStudio interface if I ever needed more tracks?

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:05:36 PM »
I picked up a great condition used MOTU 828 mkII a few months ago for $500 and I've been very happy with it.  Solid ongoing driver development and transparent sound with a variety of input selections were my shopping points.

A lot depends on what you intend to record - like TNJazz mentioned no pres on the Echo but are you really running mics?  Just line levels?  Need good drivers to get 1.8ms latency for your midi rig or latency isn't an issue because you are just mixing.

Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline Merton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 03:18:15 PM »
(to make things easier I am just going to assume I am micing drums)

blast, my original plan with the echo was to mic my drums, send them to a Mackie mixer, then send the output to the AudioFire, then to my computer.

Also, I forgot to mention, I will be running this on a PC. I really do not have money to afford a mac because I am a Computer Science Major, and need a PC. However, I plan on purchasing a Quad Core AMD system, and hopefully 2-4gigs of DDR3 ram around Christmas time / early 2008.

The thing I am worried about is I will be running Windows Vista by then, so it will have to be Vista compatible. It could also be Linux compatibale, but I don't think I have ever seen an interface that markets Linux compatibility.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 03:23:08 PM »
I believe that a very trustworthy cat on this board has a MOTU for sale.  Cleantone is his handle.  Check the yardsale.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Merton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
Question:

When I am looking at some of the specs on these interfaces, it says "24-bit/96kHz audio interface" or "24-bit/192kHz audio interface"

which is better?

The reason I ask is because the MOTU 828 mkII and the PreSonus FireStudio is 96kHz, while the Echo and Focusrite are 192kHz.

Offline bluevolvo

• Taperssection Regular
  • chic singers rule
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 05:23:46 PM »
The reason I ask is because the MOTU 828 mkII and the PreSonus FireStudio is 96kHz, while the Echo and Focusrite are 192kHz.

192 vs 96 is a whole other topic, but 8-12 channels (I, I/O, whatcha doin?) @ 192k over firewire [400] is yet another piece of the puzzle...and IMHO not needed

....you're gonna need some horsepower in a PC and some good disc driveS
full-on: AKG C414BXLS-ST/Neumann SKM184MT's/Oktava MK012's-COH > PMD671/MOTU Traveler+ADA8000/HD24XR|MX6650
down-low: AT831's > SP-SPSB-1 > iHP-120 (RockBox'd)
[p-mod UA-5 with/in between]

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 07:31:03 PM »
However, I am guessing, if I really needed it, that I could chain it up with another FireStudio interface if I ever needed more tracks?

Yes, or you could just pick up a Digimax FS preamp (or any other 8 channel pre with A/D) and go lightpipe into the Firestudio (what I meant by "future expansion").

The Firestudio and the Focusrite both have two lightpipe inputs which allow the base unit to bee linked with two additional 8 channel preamps via the ADAT inputs.

I wouldn't worry too much about 96k vs 192k.  We do all of our live recording at 48k.

Offline Charlie Miller

• Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 01:31:47 AM »
sorry....couldn't resist:
I have 4 presonus digimax96 (8 channel pre's with A>D) for sale.

Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Merton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 03:25:53 AM »

192 vs 96 is a whole other topic, but 8-12 channels (I, I/O, whatcha doin?) @ 192k over firewire [400] is yet another piece of the puzzle...and IMHO not needed

....you're gonna need some horsepower in a PC and some good disc driveS

Haha I will have A LOT of horsepower, trust me.

And by 400 do you mean firewire 400? They have pci-e fireware cards that do firewire at 800 (which I have). Do either the PreSonus or MOTU support that?

I will need to have atleast 6 inputs when mic'ing my drums. Bass drum, snare, high tom, low tom, hi-hat, overhead. I have been using that setup for recording for years. If that is not possible with an inferface like this, please let me know, because I will DEFINTELY NOT buy one.

The reason I would have liked 10-12 is so I can mic the entire band. 6 mics drums, 2 inputs for guitars, and input for bass. This isn't necessary, but I love the whole "lets try this for the first time and record it" vibe.

CURRENT QUOTES:
(as of 6/14/07)
PreSonus FireStudio $590
MOTU 828 mkII Firewire $689.00

Both are under my $700 limit. Which do you guys think would be the better unit? Don't worry about price (especially since I am the one paying =P).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 04:44:51 AM by Merton »

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
The Firestudio is a MUCH better unit than the MOTU 828mkII, both soundwise and feature-wise.

The MOTU 828 has only 2 preamps (although it does have lightpipe input).  They are hazy and undefined, and the clocking is poor.  The A/D is fair; nothing special.  The D/A stage is tremendous though.

Don't forget about the Saffire Pro 26 I/O either (also 8 preamps and the capability to expand with 16 more inputs via lightpipe, just like the Firestudio)

Offline Merton

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »
TNJazz, the current quote on the Saffire Pro 26 is $669.

So which do you think is better (in terms of quality, I am just listing cost for reference)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Focusrite-Saffire-Pro-26-IO?sku=241135 Saffire Pro $669
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-Firestudio-26x26-Firewire-Recording-System?sku=241848 PreSonus FireStudio $590

(I linked both, so anyone with input please chime in)

Offline cleantone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 01:29:35 PM »
I believe that a very trustworthy cat on this board has a MOTU for sale.  Cleantone is his handle.  Check the yardsale.

ah thanks K! I'd sell one of my MOTU 896's. I've made tons of good recordings on those units. You can record from 8 mic or line sources and add two more with an AES input and even more if you used the ADAT lightpipe which I have never done. I used to use the AES on two units all the time making 20 channels via one firewire400 line.
ISO: your recordings of The Slip, Surprise Me Mr. Davis and The Barr Brothers. pm me please.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com